Maps

mike142sl

Can we have a specific section for the Maps, they are pinned in the History section but being stupid I keep forgetting which section they are in.

Can we have a specific section for the Maps, they are pinned in the History section but being stupid I keep forgetting which section they are in.

Mike142sl,

I also keep forgetting that they are in the 'SHEFFIELD PLACES - THEIR HISTORY'

So I created a Desktop Shortcut,

and a couple of clicks on the mouse now takes me straight to the Maps Topic.

;-)

I've completely forgotten where they are; enjoying other people making good use of them, but, I'm sick to the chops of Maps mainly because we've done a lot with 'em (Cheers Maps Guys !) and a little bit because I know there are a few more of the little buggers that we have permission to post and I know that has to start with me.

I've completely forgotten where they are; enjoying other people making good use of them, but, I'm sick to the chops of Maps mainly because we've done a lot with 'em (Cheers Maps Guys !) and a little bit because I know there are a few more of the little buggers that we have permission to post and I know that has to start with me.

They may be a chore for yourself and the "Maps Guys", presumably SteveHB and Stuart0742, but the maps are the most powerful resource that SheffieldHistory currently has to offer and are well worth all the effort the 3 of you have put in.

Where else on the Internet can you view, free of charge, an almost complete set of large scale ordnance survey maps of Sheffield as it was in the 1950's?

The answer is nowhere.

It's worth people signing up to join us just to be able to look at those maps even if they are not bothered about posting things themselves.

Of course the site has other unique resources for members only, a growing collection of members own donated (therefore copyright hassles minimised) archive and recent pictures of the City, many to a very high standard, almost all not to be seen anywhere else. Lists of public houses, cinemas, war casualties and much more researched and produced by members and therefore unique to this site.

But the maps really are the icing on the cake.

They may be a chore for yourself and the "Maps Guys", presumably SteveHB and Stuart0742, but the maps are the most powerful resource that SheffieldHistory currently has to offer and are well worth all the effort the 3 of you have put in.

Where else on the Internet can you view, free of charge, an almost complete set of large scale ordnance survey maps of Sheffield as it was in the 1950's?

The answer is nowhere.

It's worth people signing up to join us just to be able to look at those maps even if they are not bothered about posting things themselves.

Of course the site has other unique resources for members only, a growing collection of members own donated (therefore copyright hassles minimised) archive and recent pictures of the City, many to a very high standard, almost all not to be seen anywhere else. Lists of public houses, cinemas, war casualties and much more researched and produced by members and therefore unique to this site.

But the maps really are the icing on the cake.

I'll second all that Dave. There are a number of people prepared to put in huge amounts of effort on all sorts of subject, making this forum a really valuable and high quality resource.

The answer is nowhere.

The large scale 1950s maps do make this site unique and are a wonderful resource.

I once chased an 1850s 6inch scale map of the Sheffield area on ebay and thought £30 would be enough to secure it, but I was left standing in the last ten minutes of bidding. It's a bit sickening really that all the old OS maps were paid for by the tax-payer yet are now only available on-line to a privileged few.

The large scale 1950s maps do make this site unique and are a wonderful resource.

I once chased an 1850s 6inch scale map of the Sheffield area on ebay and thought £30 would be enough to secure it, but I was left standing in the last ten minutes of bidding. It's a bit sickening really that all the old OS maps were paid for by the tax-payer yet are now only available on-line to a privileged few.

Like I said Gramps, membership of SheffieldHistory is free, so thanks to our "map guys" everyone can look at them for free and even download or print small sections. OK so you have to put up with the pink coloured website address watermark, but so what, it doesn't obscure the details of the map and as far as I am aware its only there for legal reasons to protect us anyway, identifying our site as the one and only online source of this map because if any other site tried to "borrow" it they wouldn't be able to take that watermark off.

Update, but not much. Fishface, sorry Tsavo and myself fully support the Maps having a top level thread, its down to Admin (I think) to actually make that change - watch this space.

There will be more maps (whatever we have the blessing from OS to post), I've been somewhat busy trying to do other stuff here.

------------------------------------------------------

Amusing typo - the last bit originally said

busy doing other stuff here

after editing (badly) it said

busy trying to dog other stuff here lol