The Old Market Tavern - Exchange St Sheffield

Stuart0742

Continuing this from my Mystery Location Topic

Can't see Market Tavern in the main entries, was it called the Old No. 12, Henry Pond has suggested this, I seem to think he is correct.

The main entry says the Old No. 12 was Haymarket.

Is this the same place just moved/rebuilt?

Continuing this from my Mystery Location Topic

Can't see Market Tavern in the main entries, was it called the Old No. 12, Henry Pond has suggested this, I seem to think he is correct.

The main entry says the Old No. 12 was Haymarket.

Is this the same place just moved/rebuilt?

Market Tavern, Old No. 12, Double Six (as my Father knew it) - on our list as Rotherham House, Exchange Street

as ever, I'm more than willing to take comments/constructive critisism, I could be completely wrong.

Market Tavern, Old No. 12, Double Six (as my Father knew it) - on our list as Rotherham House, Exchange Street

as ever, I'm more than willing to take comments/constructive critisism, I could be completely wrong.

Rotherham House is new to me, well you learn something every day :)

Rotherham House is new to me, well you learn something every day smile.gif

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15485&pos=1&action=zoom&id=18250

Sure I've seen a better picture than that somewhere, buggered if I can remember where; the other side of the Wimpy Bar was a camping shop - but probably wasn't in earlier times; this PictureSheffield from 1960's.

All comments/memories gratefully received - the list is there as a reference; mistakes, duplicates are inevitable - the list is there partly because it was driving me mad, partly to attract corrections/updates.

Guest OLD No.12

wil this be any help to you; Wiley's was a wine and spirit merchant and their premises was called Old No.12. it started in 1837 at 12 haymarket and in 1862 at 23-25 haymarket.

(the two pictures of the shop fronts may not show up clearly).

Nice Motorbike

So, Steves photo and the PictureSheffield link on Richards post both show Exchange St, where as the main entry and Old No 12's post mention Haymarket.

As Baldrick said in Black Adder goes Forth "When did one State of Affairs, become the other State of Affairs"

ie when did the Old No. 12 move from Haymarket to Exchange St.

So, Steves photo and the PictureSheffield link on Richards post both show Exchange St, where as the main entry and Old No 12's post mention Haymarket.

As Baldrick said in Black Adder goes Forth "When did one State of Affairs, become the other State of Affairs"

ie when did the Old No. 12 move from Haymarket to Exchange St.

Please update our main list, removing Old No. 12 from this building; make sure it shows Rotherham and Market Tavern (as we have evidence of both).

That leaves the Old No. 12 on Haymarket - is that on the list ? If not, please add it in the appropriate place.

Meanwhile, I'll update my main list - ready for a possible late entrant in the race for the Christmas No. 1 lol

I'll be posting lists by year, showing Pubs with people and a listing of Pubs with no known keeper - then we'll watch the sparks fly.

As stated elsewhere I'm personally only interested up to 1951, however, the biggest bunch of names missing is current/recent keepers - any of those (with a picture if possible) would be most welcome and would reduce our missing % very rapidly.

Criticism is seen as constructive - you notice duplicates/errors, we'll do our best to review them and put them right - this list will never be perfect, what is important, is that it is a good list and with your input and further research - getting better.

You never know Santa might even bring you the full list as I currently have it - but only if you're good and eat all your greens :wacko:

Please update our main list, removing Old No. 12 from this building; make sure it shows Rotherham and Market Tavern (as we have evidence of both).

That leaves the Old No. 12 on Haymarket - is that on the list ? If not, please add it in the appropriate place.

Meanwhile, I'll update my main list - ready for a possible late entrant in the race for the Christmas No. 1 lol

I'll be posting lists by year, showing Pubs with people and a listing of Pubs with no known keeper - then we'll watch the sparks fly.

As stated elsewhere I'm personally only interested up to 1951, however, the biggest bunch of names missing is current/recent keepers - any of those (with a picture if possible) would be most welcome and would reduce our missing % very rapidly.

Criticism is seen as constructive - you notice duplicates/errors, we'll do our best to review them and put them right - this list will never be perfect, what is important, is that it is a good list and with your input and further research - getting better.

You never know Santa might even bring you the full list as I currently have it - but only if you're good and eat all your greens :wacko:

Entry Rotherham House updated.

I have the following questions

1. Was this place ever called the Old no.12?

2. Was it ever a Berni Inn?

Entry Rotherham House updated.

I have the following questions

1. Was this place ever called the Old no.12?

2. Was it ever a Berni Inn?

The Old No. 12 was also known as The Double Six - a nickname; Berni Inn - no idea.

You wait 'til you cop the Full Monty list see if it does your head in !

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s15485

Sure I've seen a better picture than that somewhere, buggered if I can remember where; the other side of the Wimpy Bar was a camping shop - but probably wasn't in earlier times; this PictureSheffield from 1960's.

I think that's a pic of the 'new' Rotherham House, here's a pic of the old one

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15477&pos=1&action=zoom&id=18243

It was re-built at some stage, perhaps in the 1920s ?

How I remember Exchange street - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15480&pos=1&action=zoom&id=18245

Imagine double decker trams trundling down there now, frightening all the pigeons laugh.gif

I think that's a pic of the 'new' Rotherham House, here's a pic of the old one http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s15477

It was re-built at some stage, perhaps in the 1920s ?

How I remember Exchange street - http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s15480

Imagine double decker trams trundling down there now, frightening all the pigeons he he

Hello,

I'm new to this site and I haven't lived in Sheffield, or England for that matter, since 1974. So please give me a little

latitude. I do; however, make frequent visits to Sheffield but can't keep up with every change.

The The Market Tavern refered to in the photo was the Rotherham House in my day. It probably got its name because the

Rotherhman tram service used to start right outside the front door. (actually in the middle of the street).

Somebody also mentioned the Old No. 12 as being at the same location. I can't comment on a later move to Exchange

Street; however, I do recall that the Old No.12 first came to life in the late 1940's in Haymarket. It was above Wiley's wine

shop. The shop was located between the old Arthur Davy shop (at the corner of Haymarket & Castle Street) and the other

Davy shop/Mikado Restuarant. The building had a sort of mock- tudor frontage.

Regards

The Old No 12 is clearly shown to be in Haymarket on this map.

Is there any evidence that Rotherham House was ever know as Old No 12 ?

Like Stuart0742 asks in post # 9

'was Rotherham House a Berni Inn ?'

Yes it was a 'Berni' Inn around about 1971/3,

I well remember going in the place at the time,

though I can't fully remember it's name ..

that's when it was most likely called the 'Old No 12'

I think!

Like Stuart0742 asks in post # 9

'was Rotherham House a Berni Inn ?'

Yes it was a 'Berni' Inn around about 1971/3,

I well remember going in the place at the time,

though I can't fully remember it's name ..

that's when it was most likely called the 'Old No 12'

I think!

Cheers Steve,

It makes sense if they changed it to a Berni Inn then, they might also rename it "Old No. 12" would have been as good as anything.

Cheers Steve,

It makes sense if they changed it to a Berni Inn then, they might also rename it "Old No. 12" would have been as good as anything.

I have just found it mentioned in one of Admins Topics Here scroll down his list to eight from the bottom.

21 hours ago, Hopman said:

March 6th 2021.

DSCN0028.JPG

The sooner that area is finished the better eh!

If the reasons that classic buildings such as this were as long lasting as the fabric of them we still might have a city centre worth visiting. The names of the license holders were as well known as the pubs that they ran, they were well respected members of the community, whilst still being larger than life characters, you can’t have a good pub without the services of a good landlord/landlady.

The Old No12 business has occupied 3 different sites over 200 years  Amazingly all 3 premises survive.

The original Old N012 is now occupied by an amusement arcade in the half timbered building at the botton of Haymarket. It was the premises of Thomas Wiley Wine & Spirit Merchants this was 200 years ago. Wiley's sold all manner of beverages and incorporated bar and tasting room. There are photos around of this building with old no12 signage.

In the late Victorian era. Davy's Pork butchers expanded into the building and Willey moved the business to The Sun Inn which is higher up the street next door to  The Brunswick Hotel which closed in the 1970s.

The upper floors of The Sun Inn later developed into The Old No 12 restaurant before that and the Sun Inn closed down around 60 years ago. The Sun Inn traded for a time as The Double Six probably a pun on the building number being no6.

Meanwhile round on Exchange Street the Rotherham House was the Sheffield office for Bentley's Yorkshire Brewery. BYB were taken over by Whitbread and the newly renovated Rotherham House was a more suitable building to house the Bernie Inn. The Sun Inn was disposed of and the Old No 12 moved to what is now a very derelict Market Tavern.

In the late 1950's my uncle Fred Norton who'd just finished his service in the RAF was landlord of the Old No.12, his family helping out at weekends in the 2 bars.

One bar was used by the legal profession from the courthouse (I think they called it the "cocktail bar") and the other bar frequented by the market people, big Ada being one of them!

Fred made a good job of levelling out the tone of the pub which had acquired a bit of a reputation, so much so that the brewery then asked hm to be landlord of the Rotherham House (later became Berni Inn). Once again the family helped out, my mother was a cleaner there, grandfather and aunt helped in the bars.

Fred was then given the landlord job of the newly opened Greengate Inn at High Green which he did for number of years until his marriage broke up and he bought a bowling alley in Lee on Solent. After moving around the south Fred finally settled in Worcester running a pub frequented by cricketers.

A colourful character was Fred Norton, I'm very proud of him.

Regards,

Duffems

• Like 1

The Market Tavern has seen more name changes than any public house in Sheffield: Rotherham House P.H.; The Sun; Old Number 12, Double 6; The Garden and Bernies Restaurant. It is reputed to have a ghost named Charlie. described in "The Definitive A to Z Listing of Sheffield Public Houses, Michael Liversidge"

"In 1971 ( when it was called the  Old Number 12) a situation arose that whilst the landlady and landlord were sleeping, their phone was tinkling as though someone on the downstairs  bar line was lifting and replacing the receiver, also this was followed by banging and thumping. Being frightened (rightly so) they phoned the police who within minutes surrounded the premises. Upon entering they found nothing, except someone saw Charlies' trademark black cloud floating through the bar. At one time in the sixties you could walk through from the pub into the fast food premises next door."

Referring to interiors there are several on the Picture Sheffield Website just a sample below. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t04974&pos=8&action=zoom&id=35212

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t04971&pos=5&action=zoom&id=35209

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t04972&pos=6&action=zoom&id=35210

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v04150&pos=28&action=zoom&id=129358

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v04149&pos=27&action=zoom&id=129357

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v04148&pos=26&action=zoom&id=129356

From Lost Pubs of Sheffield Facebook group, suggesting this was on Haymarket 

image.png.70dcd71b359bb98e28ba1b2548e81542.png

But a different Facebook group has this photo of what is now the Market Tavern on Exchange St

image.png.d6a6c8fd2d40b530e2e2f32cbde0154c.png