Sheffield History Calendar

mickjj

What about including the sheffieldhistory logo

What about someone actually spelling calendar correctly.

My dictionary spells it calendAr as I have done and not calendEr as several members have submitted in this thread.

Makes us look a bit silly if we publish it with spelling mistakes on!

OK SteveHB,

So it's only a low resolution random image but judging on the size of the engine, the position of various parts of the motionwork, the wheel spoking and the canopy, but, made more difficult by the man stood in front of the gear housing and the fact that this is an offside shot of the engine (most traction engine pictures are taken from the flywheel side) this is most probably a Tasker "Little Giant" B2 class compound engined steam tractor made by Taskers of Andover, Hampshire some time between 1903 when the road traffic act of 1903 first allowed this type of vehicle and 1911 when superioir designs by other manufacturers (Fowler Tiger tractor, Burrell Gold Medal tractor and Foster Wellington tractor) replaced it. For a vehicle rated at only 3 n.h.p. (nominal horse power) that's a fairly impressive load that its pulling, although modern health and safety regulations wouldn't allow those blokes to ride on the load like that.

Sorry Steve, pet subject of mine, should have posted this in the Sheffield transport section. I know a Sheffield engine owner who used to be the keeper of an even smaller Tasker A1

OK SteveHB,

So it's only a low resolution random image but judging on the size of the engine, the position of various parts of the motionwork, the wheel spoking and the canopy, but, made more difficult by the man stood in front of the gear housing and the fact that this is an offside shot of the engine (most traction engine pictures are taken from the flywheel side) this is most probably a Tasker "Little Giant" B2 class compound engined steam tractor made by Taskers of Basingstoke, Hampshire some time between 1903 when the road traffic act of 1903 first allowed this type of vehicle and 1911 when superioir designs by other manufacturers (Fowler Tiger tractor, Burrell Gold Medal tractor and Foster Wellington tractor) replaced it. For a vehicle rated at only 3 n.h.p. (nominal horse power) that's a fairly impressive load that its pulling, although modern health and safety regulations wouldn't allow those blokes to ride on the load like that.

Sorry Steve, pet subject of mine, should have posted this in the Sheffield transport section. I know a Sheffield engine owner who used to be the keeper of an even smaller Tasker A1

Here you go DaveH,

why not post them both in the 'Sheffield transport' section ;-)

Here you go DaveH,

why not post them both in the 'Sheffield transport' section ;-)

Interesting picture here SteveHB as this one does appear to be local to Sheffield.

Firstly there is the stamp on it saying what the picture is, a 112 ton casting which is being moved by Coupe brothers of Carlisle Street Sheffield. I thought Coupe brothers were a company involved with bricks rather than haulage, but even bricks take a lot of hauling in quantity. The 112 ton casting appears to be some kind of former,

The small engine at the front bears some resemblance to the previous Tasker, especially the gear housing (now visble) but that tube from the belly tank to the cylinder has more in common with Robey or Mann engines. Looks more like a Mann to me. Part of its registration plate can just be made out as B (or E)? 2999. The traction engine register shows that no engine with this number has survived into modern day preservation.

The second engine, which appears to be a Fowler, is the most interesting as its number plate can clearly be made out as WA 3695 and as any of the Sheffield Transport section enthusiasts like transit and bus man will know, this is a local Sheffield registration code. However, and sadly, once again the traction engine register shows that no engine with this number has survived into modern day preservation.

The third engine is difficult to identify as it is obscured to a large extent by the second one.

The fourth engine is a strange beast as its chimney does not appear to be in the right place, it appears offset to the drivers left and also set behind, rather than in front of the engine cylinder block. Never come across that before. However that shaping of the side of the cylinder block closest to the camera is typically Fowler.

The fifth engine is a bit too lost in the background to make out any details.

Great picture though with a nice local theme.

These are the 2009 Sheffield History calendar images that I have picked so far,

I'm still looking for others.

But they need to be a decent resolution ie 500kb+, preferably 1GB in size,

so the finished A4 print out looks nice and clear.

Still open to ideas from our members.

Also

I'm going to put together a more modern style Sheffield calendar

that will be seasonal,

the photos will be from some that have been taken over the last couple of years or so.

Steve

---------------------------------------

credits to

RichardB

Stuart0742

Dunsbyowl

DaveH

These are the 2009 Sheffield History calendar images that I have picked so far,

I'm still looking for others.

But they need to be a decent resolution ie 500kb+, preferably 1GB in size,

so the finished A4 print out looks nice and clear.

Still open to ideas from our members.

Also

I'm going to put together a more modern style Sheffield calendar

that will be seasonal,

the photos will be from some that have been taken over the last couple of years or so.

Steve

What about the Hole in the Road iconic Sheffield landmark

What about the Hole in the Road iconic Sheffield landmark

Never mind that, What about MY credit on that picture 7 then and now? It's the classic 3 minis shot!

Never mind that, What about MY credit on that picture 7 then and now? It's the classic 3 minis shot!

The glory is better than the credit and it is the 3 minis classic :)

The glory is better than the credit and it is the 3 minis classic :)

OK then, looks like we still have to find SteveHB another 4 pictures though.

Sorry mate, now added.

Need a nice pic of a park, perhaps with a pond or stream "Bayleaf where are you"

* A sporting picture.

* Something to do with the Cutlery trade.

* War related.

* Transport

Owd on a bit that makes thirteen .

But I can add pairs, if need be :-)

Sorry mate, now added.

Need a nice pic of a park, perhaps with a pond or stream "Bayleaf where are you"

* A sporting picture.

* War related.

* Transport

A stream with a mill ... kind of a parkie, streamie, cutlerie themeie ... it fits well with the Sheffield History bit even if the spellings gone a bit Pete Tong lol

One thing missing that also makes Sheffield what it is; takes in the reason why the trade was there in the first place, explains the Rivers - it's the hills !

Personally I've always fancied the shot taken UP Blake Street from the bottom, with another photo taken sideways across the street to capture the gradient shown by the base of the houses

<Cough, cough - someone Cough (Admin) promised me these shots about 18 months ago, I've been patient but I could still defect to The Dark Side lol >

or an atmospheric shot of Sheffield looking inwards from, errr, somewhere high looking into Sheffield.

Hendersons, Kelvin, some of the modern stuff that I've never seen, Wednesday wining the Cup in '35, the other bunch doing whatever they did (I don't often enter into football banter, let me have a jest), famous steel inventors, the Sheffield War fallen (this message is not all jokey), the Flood, Mrs Miggins Pie-Shoppe (fictional for newcomers), the Blitz damage, the Castle, the Turd Tower (joking), Lyceum inside and out, now and then, Adelphi and Crucible with some snooker players balls (for the adult market lol ), the High Street before and after widening, the Elliott monument, Charles Peace, Michael Palin, the Rag 'n' Tag and finally .................. Redgates - we should put a note on asking for a shot of Redgates, isn't that what we all really want to see ?

That should see us clear into 2010 !

One thing missing that also makes Sheffield what it is; takes in the reason why the trade was there in the first place, explains the Rivers - it's the hills !

Personally I've always fancied the shot taken UP Blake Street from the bottom, with another photo taken sideways across the street to capture the gradient shown by the base of the houses

<Cough, cough - someone Cough (Admin) promised me these shots about 18 months ago, I've been patient but I could still defect to The Dark Side lol >

or an atmospheric shot of Sheffield looking inwards from, errr, somewhere high looking into Sheffield.

Hendersons, Kelvin, some of the modern stuff that I've never seen, Wednesday wining the Cup in '35, the other bunch doing whatever they did (I don't often enter into football banter, let me have a jest), famous steel inventors, the Flood, Mrs Miggins Pie-Shoppe (fictional for newcomers), the Blitz damage, the Castle, the Turd Tower (joking), Lyceum inside and out, now and then, Adelphi and Crucible with some snooker players balls (for the adult market lol ), the High Street before and after widening, the Elliott monument, Charles Peace, Michael Palin, the Rag 'n' Tag and finally .................. Redgates - we should put a note on asking for a shot of Redgates, isn't that what we all really want to see ?

That should see us clear into 2010 !

Never heard of any of 'em !

Sorry mate, now added.

* A sporting picture.

* War related.

* Transport

Well your "sporting picture" will have to be a pair which includes both Wednesday and United or you are bound to offend somebody.

Most calendars do have 13 pictures thanks to the front cover.

I don't have a working printer at this moment,

so would some kind member do a 300 dpi print out

of this A4 page.

And let me know if the small text is readable please.

Just noticed I can't read the small print on the Sheffield History ident, but the rest is fine.

L.

Steve prints ok, the small writing TSAVO mentions is just readable if you print on a decent resoloution

Looks great well done :)

I'm going to drink myself blind (see Saint Monday messages somewhere) so I won't be able to read anything or stand up ! So there !

Prints up very well. Easily read the smallest print. Looks well.

Good job!

Just noticed I can't read the small print on the Sheffield History ident, but the rest is fine.

L.

Steve prints ok, the small writing TSAVO mentions is just readable if you print on a decent resoloution

Looks great well done :)

I'm going to drink myself blind (see Saint Monday messages somewhere) so I won't be able to read anything or stand up ! So there !

Thank You all for your help,

I have now made some changes to the Sheffield History logo.

So it should now be readable, even to the inebriated members

amongst us lol