Sheffield History Calendar

mickjj

In a couple of topics the producing of a Sheffield History calender has been suggested.

I have started this topic to try and bring all these ideas together. So here is a call for help from members to come up with ideas and offers for help.

Living overseas in exile like a number of our members do I think a Windows wallpaper calender for computer might be the most practical way to go, having a different picture each month.

Does anyone out there have the expertise to create one? Also the same goes for a printed version.

The floor is now open to ideas.

It's a bit late to be producing a printed version for 2008, you need to be getting proofs etc to printers in September for a full run. Then how do we decide how many to print, or are you just thinking of something we can download and print ourselves? I think Adobe has a calendar creator function.

Then there's the problem of which pictures, it will be very difficult to whittle it down to 12 from all we have at our disposal on this site alone!. I particularly like the Then & Now pictures as it seems to have a relevence to a calendar.

Does this site have a Gallery where we can upload contenders, from where we can vote etc?

mickjj ,

I can do some printable calenders in PDF format

like this (just test images and templates)

Some nice pictures in your demo SteveHB

Like the first (top left) one of the supertram in the mist, presumably this is January

Also the last one, bottom right (December) appears to be a steam traction engine hauling a heavy load but the image is too small for me to try and identify the engine itself. Is it a local shot like the first one?

Four images for your consideration, two are from 1819, one from 1905, the other a family picture (Grimesthorpe 1958) ...

oh, and an old Pub might be nice ...

Four images for your consideration, two are from 1819, one from 1905, the other a family picture (Grimesthorpe 1958) ...

oh, and an old Pub might be nice ...

Do we know one of the those two urchins

I've known both, plus another one (strawberry blonde) all my life. My favourite family picture - now there must be lots of people with other, equally simple but evocative photos - post 'em up if you please for consideration.

I've known both, plus another one (strawberry blonde) all my life. My favourite family picture - now there must be lots of people with other, equally simple but evocative photos - post 'em up if you please for consideration.

Do you mean like a rogues gallery of Sheffield History members

Thanks you're comments DaveH,

It was just a test by me to show what could be done.

So the photos are not in any particular order by month or season,

and the ones used are just from some random images I have.

I like member mike142sl's idea of the 'Then & Now pictures'

Was thinking of perhaps a couple from each Topics to make the twelve months up ...

'Now an Then'

'Transport'

'Public Houses'

'Now Gone'

'Cinemas Theaters & Music Halls'

'War related'

'Sport'

'Parks & Recreation'

'Rivers & Brooks'

'Across the City Views'

'The Moor'

'Church's & Cemeteries'

Can be set up as printable A4 in PDF format

also as printable individual JPEG images

But open to any suggestions, like the ones above :rolleyes:

lol

I didn't, but its a great idea. Needs one person to volunteer to collect the photos and keep quiet about who is who not that anyone would know !

I didn't, but its a great idea. Needs one person to volunteer to collect the photos and keep quiet about who is who not that anyone would know !

Interesting

Don't fall for this one Stuart!!

If they want a rogues gallery of SheffieldHistory members me and you are going to be near the top of the list.

Don't fall for this one Stuart!!

If they want a rogues gallery of SheffieldHistory members me and you are going to be near the top of the list.

Further to my previous post Stuart, I have got some photos of us as kids at school taken at Norfolk circa 1967 - 72

They could add a whole new meaning to a "Then and Now" picture!!

Further to my previous post Stuart, I have got some photos of us as kids at school taken at Norfolk circa 1967 - 72

They could add a whole new meaning to a "Then and Now" picture!!

then and now sheffieldhistory members well there a star idea :blink:

A couple of test images,

my printer gave up the ghost recently ..

So if some kind member can do a print out in A4 and then make a comment

it would be greatly appreciated.

The traction engine image is 72 dpi, so don't expect a fantastic picture.

The other image is 300 dpi and should print out OK.

It's not realy the images I'm looking at,

just the clarity of the text print out on the calender.

Any comments, ideas and criticism are welcome.

Thanks

24 years in IT, worked with thousands of computers, taught over 10,000 Civil servants everything from WordStar, Cardbox and SuperCalc to Word, Excel, Access, Internet stuff; supported many thousands of users overs the years, peaking at 5,500 in 2001.

Can I get my sodding printer to work on my two screen laptop ? Can I buggery ? My C: drive is actually my E: drive, terrified to try to change i, actually unable to change it, don't know how it happened, but my HP printer is not happy with the situation at all. Just stoopid, I guess.

24 years in IT, worked with thousands of computers, taught over 10,000 Civil servants everything from WordStar, Cardbox and SuperCalc to Word, Excel, Access, Internet stuff; supported many thousands of users overs the years, peaking at 5,500 in 2001.

Can I get my sodding printer to work on my two screen laptop ? Can I buggery ? My C: drive is actually my E: drive, terrified to try to change i, actually unable to change it, don't know how it happened, but my HP printer is not happy with the situation at all. Just stoopid, I guess.

Brains 'Full Up' lol