Cairo Jax Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest matchbox

your missing out me on here ,from 1988/92 i dj in silks playing r&b and covering next door in ciros for paul i also dj in silks for many years too!! lol fantasic times

charles clarke

your missing out me on here ,from 1988/92 i dj in silks playing r&b and covering next door in ciros for paul i also dj in silks for many years too!! lol fantasic times

charles clarke

Hi Charles and welcome to the site !

Do you have any pics ?

got sum photos mate just cant find my scanner !!

think i threw it away when i had a clear out lol!!! :blink:

il see what i can do matey

Meet up with me and lend em to me for an hour and I can sort..

Guest matchbox

Hi Charles and welcome to the site !

Do you have any pics ?

will have a look thru the loft ,lol it was the time of djs "chesney and the "barron brothers ,who dj there i can recall we had a publicity stunt with our own chesney standing on the town hall steps posing for the sheffield star ,lol my time was djing in silks then in Jaxx the r&b room around the early 90s

cairo jax was ace, you went through a doorway and the music just changed. If you stood sideways you could have rick astley in one ear and soul to soul in the other. Does anyone remember going into Silks next door before Cairos?

R&J's was my favourite club in Sheff. Tuesday night if I remember correctly was nurses night and as my mum used to work at the Hallamshire she used to get me tickets. Thursday night was brilliant.

Left Sheffield in '86 and haven't been to a better club since.

Went in the local boozer for a couple before heading to Silks to really start the night.

Guest lizzie81

Yes Corp were virtually forced out of the place.

As far as I'm aware, A CPO was issued as it was going to be some kind of council/Civil Service office block - not sure if that transpired in the end?

I know that in their search for new premises (they went quite a long time between buildings), they looked at the old town hall/courtroom on the bottom of Haymarket and Fitzalan Square post office amongst other venues, before settling on what used to be 'Frames' in the Devonshire Quarter.

In the meantime they went back to using University facilities and other venues for their most popular nights, I think NMB was used for 'Drop' and City Hall Ballroom for 'Reservoir Rocks'?

just to update you - the building now houses a Jobcentre

Guest INXS Possie

For anyone who's interested I worked with Paul Baron through the 90's and just into the 2000's.

Early 90's he was the DJ at Zoots in Leicester. Married the General Manager ( Kay ). She left to work for Rank and Paul left Luminar to join First Leisure in charge of entertainment at the Superbowl chain. That didn't last long and he re-joined Luminar as a national DJ and promotions consultant helping clubs improve their nights. He then joined Northern Leisure about 1998 and designed the first of their Beach Bars in Wolverhampton. When his area manager wouldn't honour the agreement Paul had made with his DJ he left on principle. He then joined Springwood managing Zanzibar in Leicester but fell foul of some pretty dirty politics at the top. I lost regular contact with him after that but think he may have opened a bar in Turkey? although a few years ago I did hear a rumour that he was back in Leicester as Lionel Vinyl at Yates's. I still have a contact number for his best friend so maybe I'll see what the latest is.

Did you ever manage to track down Paul Baron? He was my DJ hero in Krystals and Zoots Leicester during the early/mid-90's. As a DJ myself I picked up many tips from him and used to loved the Jingles he had made. His neon name sign above the DJ box in Zoots was cool! I still have connections with Leicester so if he is there now be great to go see him.

All through the 70's the Club was called Bailey's. The Manager was Malcolm, Stage Manager Andy, Assistant Manager Derek, he bacame Stage Manager when Andy left, Compare was Mel.

There was a mixture of Cabaret's. Thanks to Derek I got quite a lot of autographs, including Dave Berry, The Brotherhood of Man, Bob Monkhouse, Hank Marvin & John Farrar, Grumbleweeds and quite a lot of others.

I worked there myself from about June 73. It was a terrific club. I started going there from about March 73 with a couple of friends. Tuesday was Crazy Night. Lots of happy memories.

I still have a couple of photos of the Cabaret Room.

Guest Lady Jai

Wow!!!!! I was looking on the net for clubs I used to work in and found this site. Cairo Jax!!!

I DJ'd there '87-'89. John Charles was in Jax with me and Gary Bee was in Cairo's with Paul Barron.

Unfortunately, Gary died in '93. We went to work in the Lakes together. He died there :-(

I refused to use the mic, just mixed so I'm amazed anyone remembered me! (Weird that I went on to be a radio

presenter in '97...!)

John Charles now works in a club in Chesterfield. Can't remember what it's called now but it

used to be Fascination back in the day, then 1901 I think...

I stayed with First Leisure until '95 lol .

Paul Kinsey is still a very good friend of mine.

I moved to New Zealand 6yrs ago All my pics are in UK. Great memories though!

Oh, the magician was called Colin.

Great site guys! xx

Guest wizzard

Right..

Been working on all the pics that Steve sent over

It's fantastic to be able to get actual first hand accounts of what a place is like so we'll be eternally grateful to Steve for these, and the information he's already given me for my bigger project on this nightclub..

Cairo's Dancefloor

Some Cairo's clubbers !

Darren and a laydee

Paul Baron & his famous pink suit

Paul Baron again.. This time being looked after !

Paul Baron - with an admirer

DJ Steve Knight takes a break

Jax DJ Box

Jo Jo (Cairo's lighting superstar !)

Jo Jo on the dancefloor

DJ Steve Knight and mates (romeo's 1982)

Resident club magician entertain the staff after closing

Romeo's keyring !!

hi i was the magician didnt know there was a pic of me taken that night

Guest wizzard

Wow!!!!! I was looking on the net for clubs I used to work in and found this site. Cairo Jax!!!

I DJ'd there '87-'89. John Charles was in Jax with me and Gary Bee was in Cairo's with Paul Barron.

Unfortunately, Gary died in '93. We went to work in the Lakes together. He died there :-(

I refused to use the mic, just mixed so I'm amazed anyone remembered me! (Weird that I went on to be a radio

presenter in '97...!)

John Charles now works in a club in Chesterfield. Can't remember what it's called now but it

used to be Fascination back in the day, then 1901 I think...

I stayed with First Leisure until '95 lol .

Paul Kinsey is still a very good friend of mine.

I moved to New Zealand 6yrs ago All my pics are in UK. Great memories though!

Oh, the magician was called Colin.

Great site guys! xx

yes i was called colin and still am lol

Guest wizzard

Colin! Hi!

Do you remember me?

So pleased to know you're OK xx

of course i remember you jai and paul. garry b. john childs etc. and thanks i am ok jusr getting old how do you like kiwi land i loved it when i was there in early 60s

Guest MissM

Hi Steve / Jai / Colin and anyone else who may remember me.....

Just found the site and its made me feel very nostalgic....great memories and fab site!

Some of the best times, although I worked for longer when it was R&J's, but always worked alongside Paul Barron and Ian Alvey - my two buddies

The photos are great although due to that nasty thing called aging, I barely recognize myself!

Would love to know how you are all doing....by the way I am in touch with Paul on facebook, I am sure he would love this!

All the very best to you all

Love Jo

xxx

Guest wizzard

Hi Steve / Jai / Colin and anyone else who may remember me.....

Just found the site and its made me feel very nostalgic....great memories and fab site!

Some of the best times, although I worked for longer when it was R&J's, but always worked alongside Paul Barron and Ian Alvey - my two buddies

The photos are great although due to that nasty thing called aging, I barely recognize myself!

Would love to know how you are all doing....by the way I am in touch with Paul on facebook, I am sure he would love this!

All the very best to you all

Love Jo

xxx

hi Jo its colin... how are you doing will you tell paul to get in toch would love to hear from him

Guest MissM

Will do Colin....am doing okay, but feeling very old....and was only talking to a friend of mine last week about how the nightclub industry has changed so radically....the younger generation dont know what they missed!

Guest wizzard

Will do Colin....am doing okay, but feeling very old....and was only talking to a friend of mine last week about how the nightclub industry has changed so radically....the younger generation dont know what they missed!

if your feeling old how do you think i feel lol, Yes the nightclub scene is not what it was in fact are there any nightclubs left now

Cairo Jax was great. I left Sheffield a many years years ago but still have fond memories.

Anyone know where Nigel Filmer is now?

Guest Slimsid2000

I was celibate in Cario jax from 1993-95. I was celibate in Roxys from 93-96.

Does anyone remeber a man on his own in either of these two clubs from around that period. Serious responces only please.

I first went to Silks (next door to Cairos) on February 19th 1993. This was the first bar in town I went to. A month later March 19th 1993 I went to Roxys , the first club I went to.

Wasn't Silks owned by cairos. I am sure there was some connection.

I was celibate in Cario jax from 1993-95. I was celibate in Roxys from 93-96.

Does anyone remeber a man on his own in either of these two clubs from around that period. Serious responces only please.

I first went to Silks (next door to Cairos) on February 19th 1993. This was the first bar in town I went to. A month later March 19th 1993 I went to Roxys , the first club I went to.

Wasn't Silks owned by cairos. I am sure there was some connection.

Silks an Cairo's where owned by The 1st Leisure Corporation. I managed in both and did another 10 years in other clubs in the UK.

CAIRO JAX NIGHTCLUB SHEFFIELD

Nightclub in the centre of Sheffield owned at one point by first leisure. It was also previously called the Cavendish.

Music was mainstream pop, dance and R&B/Soul. Most of our knowledge is from around the 1990's period - we are dying to hear from anyone who has any memories of the club from any time during it's lifespan.

THE LOCATION

Bank Street, Sheffield

pictured above - location of where cairos used to be

THE LAYOUT

Coming soon..

THE STAFF

Managers - Adrian, Jimmy, Kevan, Paul, Simon Wigfield, Paul Kinsey

DJ's - Paul Barron, Nigel Barron, Steve Knight, Ian Alvey, Neil James (now retired), Lee, Paul, Nigel Filmer, Lady Jay

Light Jocks - Jo Jo, Louise, Tim ('chesney'), Paul ('sid'), Clive (raggytash)

Cloakroom - Carol

Dancers - Claire, Rachael

Doormen - Little T, Big T, Chas, Spanner

THE MUSIC

Mainstream party, pop, dance, cheesey stuff and in the 'Jax' side it was soul, r&b and funk. The Cairo's side had a stage and some of the chart acts and potential future stars would appear 'live on stage' usually singing to DAT tapes.

LIST OF SOME OF THE BANDS THAT PLAYED AT CAIRO JAX

Michelle Gayle

Kenny Thomas

Gabrielle

Sean Maguire

Those 2 Girls (Denise Van Outen in her early pop career)

Deuce

Ultimate Kaos

Dana Dawson

Richard Traviss

Worlds Apart

Optimystic

Mary Kiani

MEMORIES

The last night of the clubs night (before turning into Corporation) was mad. It was a party atmosphere where copious amounts of alcohol were consumed by everyone but the party stopped at 10 past 2 in the morning and everyone went home feeling it was the end of an era.

In fact the months leading up to the closure saw the music change slightly with more indie as well as dance being played. Oasis ruled at one point.

You have a list of managers up there and I can recall Simon Wiggy and Paul Kinsey but the rest dont ring any bells and you have a Kevan? I think that it should be a Kevin and that just happens to be me. Left there then went to work for them in Derby,Birmingham,Cardiff..... and so on ...

Guest belinda

You have a list of managers up there and I can recall Simon Wiggy and Paul Kinsey but the rest dont ring any bells and you have a Kevan? I think that it should be a Kevin and that just happens to be me. Left there then went to work for them in Derby,Birmingham,Cardiff..... and so on ...