Cairo Jax Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest knighty59

Just noticed Carol under the STAFF section. I used to have some great chats with her on the cloakroom. She always had plenty of advice if any of us had women trouble etc.

Remember she had blond curly hair, possibly a bubble perm....who knows, and she lived over at Stannington somewhere because i was always in the same staff Taxi as her on the way home.

That's her !

Lovely woman - always fantastic with everyone and as you say had loads of good advice for anyone needing it.

She made that cloakroom her domain totally..

By the way, why did the club have to close it's doors for good in the end?

A combination of things - as Cairo's it was struggling because the whole pub/club scene had moved up west street/division street

Corporation moved in and turned it into a fantastic alternative club that did really well until they moved out and to other premises.

Bumped into Sab today who was a legend down at Cairos/Silks back in the 90's

Top geezer - always smiling - even today !

Guest knighty59

Why was Corporation forced to move to other premises or did they choose to move? <_<

Why was it decided by the powers that be to turn the site into a car park and offices? :angry:

Why Oh Why is Cairos still not there??????? :(

ha ha !!

I see you're still pining for the place Knighty. Not surprised as most people's memories of the place are wonderful

Corporation might have been forced to move to make way for the development of the building - I'm not sure..

Yes Corp were virtually forced out of the place.

As far as I'm aware, A CPO was issued as it was going to be some kind of council/Civil Service office block - not sure if that transpired in the end?

I know that in their search for new premises (they went quite a long time between buildings), they looked at the old town hall/courtroom on the bottom of Haymarket and Fitzalan Square post office amongst other venues, before settling on what used to be 'Frames' in the Devonshire Quarter.

In the meantime they went back to using University facilities and other venues for their most popular nights, I think NMB was used for 'Drop' and City Hall Ballroom for 'Reservoir Rocks'?

Guest knighty59

ha ha !!

I see you're still pining for the place Knighty. Not surprised as most people's memories of the place are wonderful

Corporation might have been forced to move to make way for the development of the building - I'm not sure..

I suppose i do miss the place a lot. Had so many good times there.

Maybe we should all get together and look for premises to re-open Cairos!!!........Would it be the same though? Different time and place and all that.

Guest gary jones

CAIRO JAX

Nightclub in the centre of Sheffield owned at one point by first leisure. It was also previously called the Cavendish.

Music was mainstream pop, dance and R&B/Soul. Most of our knowledge is from around the 1990's period - we are dying to hear from anyone who has any memories of the club from any time during it's lifespan.

THE LOCATION

Bank Street, Sheffield

pictured above - location of where cairos used to be

THE LAYOUT

Coming soon..

THE STAFF

Managers - Adrian, Jimmy, Kevan, Paul, Simon Wigfield, Paul Kinsey

DJ's - Paul Baron, Steve Knight, Ian Alvey, Neil James (now retired), Lee, Paul, Nigel Filmer, Lady Jay

Light Jocks - Jo Jo, Louise, Tim ('chesney'), Paul ('sid'), Clive (raggytash)

Cloakroom - Carol

Dancers - Claire, Rachael

Doormen - Little T, Big T, Chas, Spanner

THE MUSIC

Mainstream party, pop, dance, cheesey stuff and in the 'Jax' side it was soul, r&b and funk. The Cairo's side had a stage and some of the chart acts and potential future stars would appear 'live on stage' usually singing to DAT tapes.

LIST OF SOME OF THE BANDS THAT PLAYED AT CAIRO JAX

Michelle Gayle

Kenny Thomas

Gabrielle

Sean Maguire

Those 2 Girls (Denise Van Outen in her early pop career)

Deuce

Ultimate Kaos

Dana Dawson

Richard Traviss

Worlds Apart

Optimystic

Mary Kiani

MEMORIES

The last night of the clubs night (before turning into Corporation) was mad. It was a party atmosphere where copious amounts of alcohol were consumed by everyone but the party stopped at 10 past 2 in the morning and everyone went home feeling it was the end of an era.

In fact the months leading up to the closure saw the music change slightly with more indie as well as dance being played. Oasis ruled at one point.

Nigel Barron was also a DJ when his brother was there.

Nice one - thanks for the reminder

I was trying to think of his name

Welcome to the site too by the way !

I used to go to the 'Dance Energy' nights they had on a wednesday or thursday night. No booze, mind-it was a pop 'n' crisps night. Despite this the place was packed to the rafters with us all getting down to 'Housecall' by Shabba Ranks or 'Dreams' by Gabrielle-that would make it 1993. I remember the mirrors that were all across the walls would get steamed up and when you left you'd be sweating like a pig!

It was so innocent being 14 back then-tho I suppose people might have got a bit drunk in the street as they queued up? Do tell! The queue was always MASSIVE as well.

I saw a boy band there called 'Slam' who mimed throughout and the keyboard wasn't plugged in much to our amusement. Bad Boys Inc were there on another occasion and that got the girls excited because they were in the charts, like. I have such fond memories of Cairos, especially because I had seen it advertised on TV throughout the 80s and it looked really glam and then I got to go there myself, sober of course.

Excellent - do you have anymore memories of these nights ?

I hear the DJ was amazing !

;-)

Guest sheffsteel

I used to go to all the Sheffield nite clubs from the mid 80's.

I used to really like Romeo's and Juliets, but when they renovated it and renamed the club Caito Jax it became arguably the best club in Sheffield.

The whole design of the place was great, 2 large dancefloors, restaurant, quiet chill out area, cocktail bar, lots of little corners for snoggin etc etc.

It was really popular and you often had to queue outside for absolutely ages.

In them days Thursday was a really popular night out, loads of hen parties etc.

I used to alternate and go Thursday, Friday and Saturday as they all had a different atmosphere.

I remember Paul Barron being a great DJ because he used to often organise party games and give out prizes.

it was just like being at a club 18-30 venue. Also there was a bald headed magician who used to wander round the club

doing various tricks.

The club had something for eveyone. It didn't attract a particular type of person, its target audience seemed to be

all ages groups, all social groups (this is unusual for a nite club).

Guest sheffsteel

GREATEST EVER CUSTOMER

I used to go to Romeos and every time I ever went there used to be this older bad headed guy dancing near the little stage area

in the Romeo's side. Then when it changed to Cairo's he was there again every time I was there, he seemed to be on his own and a bit of a loner.

In the 90's I settled down and stopped going to Cairo's, however my friend Simon (a bouncer at Cairos throughout the whole of the 90's) said he continued to go there every weekend throughout the 90's.

My friend said all the staff know his name and he's kind of famous for being Cairo's greatest customer.

I'm sure he said Cairo's presented him with an award recognising his attendance.

I'm not exagerrating when I say this man must have been to Cairo's at least twice a week for 15 years (maybe longer).

Now I can't imagine anyone beating that, thats dedication.

This is true

Never spoke to him but saw him in there most nights

He used to stand and dance next to the dancefloor a lot of the time

I probably know your mate Simon too

Guest sheffsteel

My brother has just given a quick summary of the Sheffield niteclub scene.

Its a bit of a generalisation but theres a element of truth behind it, thats why its funny.

He's says in the late 80's there was only THREE main niteclubs in Sheffield.

Josephines was for the unemployed whom have their own trust funds financed by daddy.

It was a club for the Dore and Totley crew, old rich men and very attractive blonde bimbo types looking

for a sugar daddy. Josephines was the smallest club and they could afford to be quite select.

You were never 100% sure if the bouncers would let you in.

If you were refused here then you'd go down market and move on to Cairo's

Cairo's was a good high standard niteclub for the employed "normal people".

It was a fairly large club and you had a good chance of getting in.

If you were refused here then you'd go further down market and move on to Roxy's.

Roxy's was basically for the unemployed from council estates.

It was a MASSIVE club (easily the largest in Sheffield) and they would let anyone in.

Even if you were unbelievably drunk, under age or over age you could easily blend in.

If you were refused on the door at Roxy's then you knew you'd hit rock bottom.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE ULTIMATE INSULT.

Guest mackyD

GREATEST EVER CUSTOMER

I used to go to Romeos and every time I ever went there used to be this older bad headed guy dancing near the little stage area

in the Romeo's side. Then when it changed to Cairo's he was there again every time I was there, he seemed to be on his own and a bit of a loner.

In the 90's I settled down and stopped going to Cairo's, however my friend Simon (a bouncer at Cairos throughout the whole of the 90's) said he continued to go there every weekend throughout the 90's.

My friend said all the staff know his name and he's kind of famous for being Cairo's greatest customer.

I'm sure he said Cairo's presented him with an award recognising his attendance.

I'm not exagerrating when I say this man must have been to Cairo's at least twice a week for 15 years (maybe longer).

Now I can't imagine anyone beating that, thats dedication.

lol I remember him!! We nicknamed him 'The stomper' cause he always did the same little dance to whatever tune was playing! A sort of little STOMP! It was just his feet that moved, and his body sort of stayed still! And his facial expression never changed, he was very seriuos like he was really concentrating! Bless him! Wonder what he's doing now? Wonder what he did when Cairos closed! Bet he was gutted.

Guest knighty59

My brother has just given a quick summary of the Sheffield niteclub scene.

Its a bit of a generalisation but theres a element of truth behind it, thats why its funny.

He's says in the late 80's there was only THREE main niteclubs in Sheffield.

Josephines was for the unemployed whom have their own trust funds financed by daddy.

It was a club for the Dore and Totley crew, old rich men and very attractive blonde bimbo types looking

for a sugar daddy. Josephines was the smallest club and they could afford to be quite select.

You were never 100% sure if the bouncers would let you in.

If you were refused here then you'd go down market and move on to Cairo's

Cairo's was a good high standard niteclub for the employed "normal people".

It was a fairly large club and you had a good chance of getting in.

If you were refused here then you'd go further down market and move on to Roxy's.

Roxy's was basically for the unemployed from council estates.

It was a MASSIVE club (easily the largest in Sheffield) and they would let anyone in.

Even if you were unbelievably drunk, under age or over age you could easily blend in.

If you were refused on the door at Roxy's then you knew you'd hit rock bottom.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE ULTIMATE INSULT.

Isabellas was probably the only other club during this period worth a mention. We tended to go there if we fancied a change from Cairos but it was only on the odd occasion as Cairos was THE place.

Guest knighty59

lol I remember him!! We nicknamed him 'The stomper' cause he always did the same little dance to whatever tune was playing! A sort of little STOMP! It was just his feet that moved, and his body sort of stayed still! And his facial expression never changed, he was very seriuos like he was really concentrating! Bless him! Wonder what he's doing now? Wonder what he did when Cairos closed! Bet he was gutted.

God, you've jogged my memory here. This guy was part of the fixtures and fittings when i worked in Cairos. Always on his own.....never pulled.....stood in the same place every night.....reminded me a bit of Phil Collins to look at!!!!!

Guest knighty59

I used to go to all the Sheffield nite clubs from the mid 80's.

I used to really like Romeo's and Juliets, but when they renovated it and renamed the club Caito Jax it became arguably the best club in Sheffield.

The whole design of the place was great, 2 large dancefloors, restaurant, quiet chill out area, cocktail bar, lots of little corners for snoggin etc etc.

It was really popular and you often had to queue outside for absolutely ages.

In them days Thursday was a really popular night out, loads of hen parties etc.

I used to alternate and go Thursday, Friday and Saturday as they all had a different atmosphere.

I remember Paul Barron being a great DJ because he used to often organise party games and give out prizes.

it was just like being at a club 18-30 venue. Also there was a bald headed magician who used to wander round the club

doing various tricks.

The club had something for eveyone. It didn't attract a particular type of person, its target audience seemed to be

all ages groups, all social groups (this is unusual for a nite club).

I suppose you would call me Paul Barron's understudy and i totally agree that he was a fantastic DJ. Taught me everything that was good about DJing.......and a few of the things that you could get away with also.......Don't mention the dressing rooms!!!!

Wonder where he is now? Would love to catch up with him.

He had a MASSIVE set of playing cards that we used for Play Your Cards Right with people from the dancefloor. Remember those?

I Remember the bald headed magician.....Have you seen my Cairos pics? There's one of him trying to hypnotise a staff member after closing.

Guest acquiescefc

Have to say I spent many a friday night in Cairos, i remember the crazy old guy shuflling his feet like he had crap on his shoes or something...sorry : )

It was working class but the emphasis on class more than the Poxy.

I think its most famous thing was the little posing dancefloor that showed movies towards the latter part of the 80s i think. Dancing and watching the Blues Brothers or something.

I remember at 1:45 it was always the time to pull, guys would suss out the dancefloor for single girls to grab when Mick Hucknall started to do his ginger thing.

Fave nightclub in town without a doubt. Was strange to come back to SHeffield the odd time and go see rock bands play in there.

Wheres the Corpo moved to btw? I still picture it there.

Happy days. Crap tunes!(now)