Cairo Jax Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest Cooperman

Hi to you all , just found this site , I worked at Romeo,s and Cairo,s from 81 to 88 I worked as the cellerman in the day and was a supervisor at night . Some names mentioned I,m familiar with and some I,m not . Will have to dig some photo,s out . I was also part of the silk,s set up .

Guest Cooperman

hoped u liked the pic,s , can,t place you though . when was you at the club ? . i,ve heard nigel filmers got a shop down london road . does any of these names ring any bells with you . roger thomas , george holmes , steve thompson , gwen thompson , leigh reegan , mark laidler , gail hudson , penny fox , slim , fredo , john campbell , bill roe ,paul bradbury, jackie mckenzie , hilary , bog joe .

This is me when I was resident (am on the right) with manager Paul on the left..

Happy days..

Guest paddyman

My name is nigel filmer, I started work at R&Js in 1979 I had come from Mecca Samanthas/Tiffanys/ Crazy Daisy to join EMI the first owners of R&JS the 1st manager was Dave Jamason from crazy Daisy, I dj in the Romeo room with a band, the company became Thorne EMI then became First Lesure, about a year or so after the Cairo Jax refit and silks bar add on, I left to go to Blue Lace in Bradford, I was called back to sort out the <Removed> with the sound & lightning, then I moved to 7th Heaven in Doncaster, still carried on sorting out the sound & lighting in SHEFFIELD till the venue was sold on,stayed on in Doncaster after the refit to Karisma,moved to Club WOW Sheffield till it closed, lots of info on management,DJs, lighting jocks,and staff+door staff. Hope this has been a insight to bank street, posted once before when a DJ said he had worked a club I was at! So Walter Mittys beware!

10978578_10203841526743515_2491316400579248398_n.jpg

Cairo Jax ladies diamond pass. Would get ladies free admission before 10:30pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays night.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 20.43.16.jpg

Flyer for Cairos nightclub, handed out in Silks and all the city centre bars

Is Lee Curtis still DJing ? heard he was living in Doncaster a few years back, not seen him since Cairo's...

2 hours ago, mle1 said:

Is Lee Curtis still DJing ? heard he was living in Doncaster a few years back, not seen him since Cairo's...

Not sure!

He moved to Doncaster to DJ there but lost touch when that club closed

Yeah I heard he moved to Doncaster to work at Karisma, just wondered what he was up to these days..

I loved it when it opened in 67 when I was 20 as The Cavendish, however I have a theory as to why    clubs/discos lose their popularity when their clientele get into their mid twenties and start earning good money. With me I didn’t need the free tickets,  I went the suburban/Derbyshire pub route which were free to enter, along with many of my contemporaries, most of the pubs did ‘after bird’, sold decent food and didn’t suffer nutters gladly. We were part of the party circuit, I met my wife along with many friends, which I would never have done in the city centre, I simply grew out of it.