Threatened with Demolition

Stuart0742

I had to laugh last week when a local shoe shop was selling "buy one get one free"

I would expect to get the left one if I had just bought the right one, Ha he he

unless they were made in "tie one" ;-)

When the larger supermarkets offer bogoffs etc on fresh food, fruit & veg in particular, they cut the price paid to the supplier, so the supermarket's no worse off, the public think they've got a bargain, and the grower takes the cut.

Don't get me started on Supermarkets. Aaaargh!

Don't get me started on Supermarkets. Aaaargh!

Ooops, - got a lot of unexpected response to that one which has put us well off topic now.

This thread is supposed to be about local buildings threatened with demolition.

However, I can't stand those endless TV adverts for furniture which are forever on sale with some ridiculous offer

Then there was the shop on Fargate years ago which appeared on Ester Rantzen's "That's Life" programme because they had a "Final Closing Down Sale" that lasted forever because the shop never had any intention of closing down.

If there are lots of other things like this perhaps a new thread in the "General Chat" topic would be more appropriate.

Guest plain talker

I went to a lecture back in the 80's given by someone from the Industrial Society. He spoke about creating worth not wealth as the answer to the problems facing the UK.

It wsa brilliant and altered my mind about many things.

He took about an hour to say what you have said in a few lines.

Well done - just about sums it all up.

Amen to your comment and the quoted comment from DaveH

I haven't lived in Sheffield since the mid 70's but I seem to remember this building was once a pub called the Rotherham

House. I'm not sure where the name came from but the tram to Rotherham used to start close by. Before the Castle Market

was built and the building that is now Wilkinson's, Exchange Street was twice the width it is now. Rotherham trams were not

really reversible like the old Sheffield trams so they had to turn on a loop. They used to come into town up the Wicker, then

turn onto Blonk Street, then come around on a curved track into Exchange Street. When leaving, they turned down Waingate ,

crossed Lady's Bridge and back to the Wicker. The tram stop right the middle of Exchange Street, not far from the Mudford

(Rotherham House) Building.

Regards

Hi,

The Rotherham House is so called because it was the first Pub in Sheffield owned by Bentley's Breweries of Rotherham. My 3 x great grandfather, William Bentley was the landlord from about 1839 to his death in December 1853. His second wife Mrs. Harriett Bentley is shown in trade directories as running the pub until 1854. Somewhere I think I have an email where I distant cousin told me he'd found an entry showing she'd remarried and the new husband took over the pub but I can't find the email to confirm it. At that time the pub appeared in directories and censuses as "Rotheram House".

The address was variously given as 27 Exchange Street or 25 or 27 Castlefolds and sometimes it was listed as Rotheram House Inn. Also over the years was listed Robert Bentley, Rotheram Brewery store, 31 Exchange Street ‑George Dungworth agent and 29 Castlefolds, Robert John Bentley, ale & porter brewer, Geo. Dungworth agent. Robert John Bentley was a son of the Huddersfield brewing family and founder of Bentley's Breweries, Canklow Road, Rotherham.

The appearance is given of this being the centre of Bentley's Breweries Sheffield operation.

There was no blood relationship between Robert John Bentley and my 3 x great grandfather, William Bentley.

Ciao

Another building that looks to have had a more grand past

Mudfords Buildings Exchange St

As you can see Mudfords Buildings has had a new lease of life.

Guest skeets

Before the blitz, and part damaged by the blitz there was a building 1st on the left on Change Alley which was owned by Mudfords the rope and tent firm would it have any connection with the building that was known as the Rotherham House Hotel

Not quite in Sheffield but here is how the Marquis of Granby looked in September 2008

I go past that building quite a lot, and its still in the same condition, haven't seen any workmen on that site for ages. Quite a lot of crows are nesting in it now.