Threatened with Demolition

Stuart0742

So now we read that Osborns on Penistone Road will be demolished to

make way for yet another retail park.

What, this Osbornes?

and I thought they were still in business :o

There's not a lot of this place left now.

What a loss.

Too many old steel works end up as retail centres, Meadowhell being the prime example.

I often tell people that Meadowhell "was better off as a steel works than as a shopping centre"

Now I am no economist but

A steel works prioduces a commercial product which can be sold for profit and therefore generates money and wealth in the local community.

A shopping centre only gets you to spend money and devours the wealth of the community, - the profit is made by big multinational companies elsewhere.

No wonder we are all skint :angry:

Was this Osbornes?

Not certain whether this was an Osborn's building, (although I have a feeling it is) but it is certainly under threat, if it has not already succumbed. It has been discussed (sort of) here in more depth. It makes me angry, so I shall say no more.

Guest carlie167

Thought we'd better have another couple of Osbournes.

I didn't know it was going to be demolished, but hey, we can't have too many retail parks!! :angry:

Thought we'd better have another couple of Osbournes.

I didn't know it was going to be demolished, but hey, we can't have too many retail parks!! :angry:

At one for every 25 people at least we'll all have somewhere to go to sell Burgers, cheap books and over-priced car parts to each other - meet you at Carlie Clearence or RichardB Retail ...

It's the white building at the back of the trams on Penistone road.

I haven't got another picture but I'm sure there must be one on

Sheffield Picture Library.

That's a very nice painting. Is it yours?

That's a very nice painting. Is it yours?

Its signed L. Cornthwaite and dated 2009 -10

So very recently painted, and as Markbaby says, a very nice painting.

That painting brought back a lot of happy memories for me. The shop on the left was Mr Marrisons the cobbler, who was my best friends dad. It later became a cafe. Further along on the same side was Tommy Fellows barbers shop. In the 1950s the trams on this stretch of track usually only ran on match days, school trips to the City Hall and if there were roadworks on Neepsend Lane. Thanks ukelele lady. W/E.

Guest binsted71

This is the White Building that you're speaking of.

HYDRA CLARKSON

Its signed L. Cornthwaite and dated 2009 -10

Hi,

I really screwed up with this one and I apologise. Forget what Isaid previously about L Cornthwaite as I now realize the dates are wrong. It couldn't possible be the L Cornthwaite I knew.

Regards

Wasn't this Osborne's Mushet Tool Works?

Regards Falls2

That's the one Osborn Mushet Tools

It certainly is. I have many memories of leaving school and starting my working life in theat very building

That painting brought back a lot of happy memories for me. The shop on the left was Mr Marrisons the cobbler, who was my best friends dad. It later became a cafe. Further along on the same side was Tommy Fellows barbers shop. In the 1950s the trams on this stretch of track usually only ran on match days, school trips to the City Hall and if there were roadworks on Neepsend Lane. Thanks ukelele lady. W/E.

Is that the shop you mean at the bottom of Bedford Street where the Omo advert is?

Is that the shop you mean at the bottom of Bedford Street where the Omo advert is?

Yes thats the one. I think it would 1955/56 when Mr Marrison gave up repairing shoes and the shop closed down. It was empty for a while and then became a cafe until it was demolished, probably by neddy.

Wasn't this Osborne's Mushet Tool Works?

Regards Falls2

That's the one Osborn Mushet Tools

Hi,

Robert Forester Mushet was one of the real pioneers in metallurgical research.

There may havee been some kind of professional working relationship between Mushet and Samuel Osborn or it was recognition of Mushet's contribution in the development of tool steels using tungsten.

What ever it was, it prompted Osborn to name a works after him.

See

Regards

Hi,

Robert Forester Mushet was one of the real pioneers in metallurgical research.

There may havee been some kind of professional working relationship between Mushet and Samuel Osborn or it was recognition of Mushet's contribution in the development of tool steels using tungsten.

What ever it was, it prompted Osborn to name a works after him.

See

Regards

This site explains the relationship between Mushet & Osborn. I think I have read Mushet's sons came to work with Osborn.

http://www.tilthammer.com/bio/mush.html

What a loss.

Too many old steel works end up as retail centres, Meadowhell being the prime example.

I often tell people that Meadowhell "was better off as a steel works than as a shopping centre"

Now I am no economist but

A steel works prioduces a commercial product which can be sold for profit and therefore generates money and wealth in the local community.

A shopping centre only gets you to spend money and devours the wealth of the community, - the profit is made by big multinational companies elsewhere.

No wonder we are all skint :angry:

I went to a lecture back in the 80's given by someone from the Industrial Society. He spoke about creating worth not wealth as the answer to the problems facing the UK.

It wsa brilliant and altered my mind about many things.

He took about an hour to say what you have said in a few lines.

Well done - just about sums it all up.

I went to a lecture back in the 80's given by someone from the Industrial Society. He spoke about creating worth not wealth as the answer to the problems facing the UK.

It wsa brilliant and altered my mind about many things.

He took about an hour to say what you have said in a few lines.

Well done - just about sums it all up.

Like I said docmel, I am no economist and I don't even pretend to understand the subject but my feelings about productive industry and shops seems to make perfect sense to me.

..amd having said I don't understand economics I once suggested to an economist that in the shops

BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free)

Two for the Price of one

Half Price

50% Off

that, apart from the minimum quantity you need to purchase (2 in some cases, only 1 in others), if you intended to buy 2 then all 4 of these statements amount to exactly the same thing.

His answer came back, "Oh no they're not! They are all very different offers!"

When I asked him to explain why he rambled on a bit saying a load of meaningless rubbish which I couldn't follow the logic of so I was left to work out why these 4 offers are all very different for myself.

Must admit I haven't managed it yet and they still strike me as all being the same.

MORAL, If money, profits and economics are involved, - don't trust anyone but yourself.

Collected soap box from Dave's Hut

I do my best to avoid buying anything from places which tout these so called special offers.

If a shop was genuinely able to reduce their prices by 50% and still stay in business, what sort of inflated mark up had they been making before the "so called" offer.

And anyway, 50% Off What? Merely 50% Off some made up price in the first place.

As a rule of thumb, the only way you'll get a bargain is to shop where there is no SALE as such and look for the "One off - Reduced to Clear" items.

How anybody in this day and age can actually believe some of these "DEALS" is beyond me.

If you bought new UPVC windows for the front of your house and got the back ones supplied and fitted free (which was offered by some company a few years ago) then I'm sorry to have to tell you - You paid too much for the front ones.

If your carpet includes "Free fitting" (when you buy or super quality underlay) then you've paid too much for the underlay and/or carpet.

(Tell me the name of that carpet fitter who fits for free. - He can work for me.)

Ever wondered how "Roll Ends" of carpet from these big chains always turn out to be convenient 3x4 - 4x4 - 5x4 sizes.

Well you've obviously not been at the depot and seen them cutting up roll after roll into these sizes.

I just had my old Central Heating ripped out and completely replaced.

I had a quote from ---- (insert name of a large national energy supplier) which included a so called 40% discount off the price of the boiler. A small local company gave me the exact same model of boiler, no discount and nothing free but the job was £500 less.

It's all lies or distortions, but there seem to be enough people who believe them to keep these places in business. Go figure.

Soap box now in my hut and ready for collection.

When the larger supermarkets offer bogoffs etc on fresh food, fruit & veg in particular, they cut the price paid to the supplier, so the supermarket's no worse off, the public think they've got a bargain, and the grower takes the cut.