Threatened with Demolition

Stuart0742

As Richard has said in another thread, we need to record the buildings being demolished or under threat of being demolished. Over the past 5 years or so hundreds of buildings must have been demolished.

Does anybody have photo's of buildings in their final day's

I will start this off with this photo taken 3/12/08 looking across the Don towards Nursery St.

What were these buildings in their hey-day.

Stuart, One of the things that I am trying to do is take photo,s of interesting old buildings in Sheffield before they have been demolished. Although I have several hundred photos in my collection , I post quite a few in the gallery. These photo,s can be copied and used by anyone without my sayso and without the Sheffield History overstamp. One of my photo,s is of the Laurel Razorblade factory that you have taken a photo of.

Great idea Stuart.

Although the hours i work during the week limit me greatly at this time of year from taking any quality photos in daylight, i am going to make a concerted effort at the weekend to take my camera with me and snap away when i see things of interest, and, more importantly for this thread, buildings which are under threat.

I also want to build a portfolio of Sheffield pictures with how fast it is changing.

Not quite in Sheffield but here is how the Marquis of Granby looked in September 2008

Shock, horror. Can't believe it, how long has it been closed?

Shock, horror. Can't believe it, how long has it been closed?

Yes

I drove past there the other day, the main building is still there just all the extensions have been demolished, anybody know whats happening there.

Another building that looks to have had a more grand past

Mudfords Buildings Exchange St

Mudfords, a different view of the same building but equally as recent and equally as derelict.

As Richard has said in another thread, we need to record the buildings being demolished or under threat of being demolished. Over the past 5 years or so hundreds of buildings must have been demolished.

Does anybody have photo's of buildings in their final day's

I will start this off with this photo taken 3/12/08 looking across the Don towards Nursery St.

What were these buildings in their hey-day.

Hi,

The building shown in your photo is on the corner of Nursery Street and Johnson Street. It had a checked but interesting past.

I suggest you start with PicturesSheffield and look up "G.H. Lawrence". In particular, Photo. No. S09909. This shows you what

the building(s) were like until the evening of December 12, 1940 - The first night of the Blitz.

At the start of the raid, the workers, including Mr. Lawrence himself, went into a shelter in the cellar, the works took a hit and

they were all killed. The only part of the building to survive was the front on Nursery street. Its the part to the right on both

you picture and S00990. Its the part with Mansard roof.

The debris sat there most of the War (I used to play in it as a kid) and was finally cleared by VE Day. The factory was rebuilt,

by the Lawrence company in the late 1940.

I grew up around the corner on Stanley street but left the area in 1960. Therefore, I have no knowledge as to what happened

to it after Lawrence's moved out.

Regards

REVISED 02/07/09

Hi,

Ref.again, the photo that started this topic.

About 18 months ago, on Sheffield Forum, there was request for information regarding the location of an Annex to the

Children's Hospital that was in the Wicker Area. I understand the Hospital's records make reference to its existance but don't

give any details. Where ever it was, it was closed in 1931. We do know that it was called the East End Branch and first

located at 86 Wicker in 1893, then moving to a, supposedly, purpose-built building on Nursery Street in 1913.

Now, there were only three buildings on the old Nursery Street that had ever seen the hand of an Architect. These were: The

Coronor's Court building at the corner of Wicker Lane, Holy Trinity Church at the corner of Johnson Street and the front section

of the GH Lawrence property. What do you think?

Regards

Another building that looks to have had a more grand past

Mudfords Buildings Exchange St

I haven't lived in Sheffield since the mid 70's but I seem to remember this building was once a pub called the Rotherham

House. I'm not sure where the name came from but the tram to Rotherham used to start close by. Before the Castle Market

was built and the building that is now Wilkinson's, Exchange Street was twice the width it is now. Rotherham trams were not

really reversible like the old Sheffield trams so they had to turn on a loop. They used to come into town up the Wicker, then

turn onto Blonk Street, then come around on a curved track into Exchange Street. When leaving, they turned down Waingate ,

crossed Lady's Bridge and back to the Wicker. The tram stop right the middle of Exchange Street, not far from the Mudford

(Rotherham House) Building.

Regards

A link to that SheffieldForum thread might be useful. We should help each other wherever possible to improve the collective knowledge of Sheffield's past (especially when Sheffield was a town, now that's history ...)

I haven't lived in Sheffield since the mid 70's but I seem to remember this building was once a pub called the Rotherham

House. I'm not sure where the name came from but the tram to Rotherham used to start close by. Before the Castle Market

was built and the building that is now Wilkinson's, Exchange Street was twice the width it is now. Rotherham trams were not

really reversible like the old Sheffield trams so they had to turn on a loop. They used to come into town up the Wicker, then

turn onto Blonk Street, then come around on a curved track into Exchange Street. When leaving, they turned down Waingate ,

crossed Lady's Bridge and back to the Wicker. The tram stop right the middle of Exchange Street, not far from the Mudford

(Rotherham House) Building.

Regards

Hi Falls,

I was always lead to belive that 'Rotherham House' wa the building above the Mudfords Building,

but I could be wrong.

Take a look at this Topic

Hi Falls,

I was always lead to belive that 'Rotherham House' wa the building above the Mudfords Building,

but I could be wrong.

Take a look at this Topic

Hello,

I did look at the "Topic" you refered to and I was wrong (I'll plead old age and a failing memory). The Rotherham House was

the building on the left, in the "Topic" Photo.

Now you have me guessing as to the other building. There was yet another building on that side that the B&C Co-op used after

they were bombed-out of their original store where the Castle Market now stands. But this building was much wider (double

fronted) than the 'Mudford' building. It could be the building shown on your map as No.39. The Co-op was there for quite few

years before moving into the 'stepped' pre-fabs on Angels Street and eventually, (1962/63) into the building with the black

granite frontage.

Incidentally, the Old NO 12 was on Haymarket, in between the Arthur Davy shop on the corner of Castle Street and the Second

Davy shop that had the Mikado Cafe. No.12 was upstaris and the Wiley house was at street level.

Regards

Falls said:
Hello,

I did look at the "Topic" you refered to and I was wrong (I'll plead old age and a failing memory). The Rotherham House was

the building on the left, in the "Topic" Photo.

Now you have me guessing as to the other building. There was yet another building on that side that the B&C Co-op used after

they were bombed-out of their original store where the Castle Market now stands. But this building was much wider (double

fronted) than the 'Mudford' building. It could be the building shown on your map as No.39. The Co-op was there for quite few

years before moving into the 'stepped' pre-fabs on Angels Street and eventually, (1962/63) into the building with the black

granite frontage.

Incidentally, the Old NO 12 was on Haymarket, in between the Arthur Davy shop on the corner of Castle Street and the Second

Davy shop that had the Mikado Cafe. No.12 was upstaris and the Wiley house was at street level.

Regards

Hi Falls,

there are a couple of photos of number 39 Exchange St, the old 'B & C Co-Op'

here on picturesheffield

and picturesheffield 02

Steve

Hi,

The building shown in your photo is on the corner of Nursery Street and Johnson Street.

It had a checked but interesting past.

I suggest you start with PicturesSheffield and look up "G.H. Lawrence". In particular, Photo. No. S09909. This shows you what the building(s) were like until the evening of December 12, 1940 - The first night of the Blitz.

At the start of the raid, the workers, including Mr. Lawrence himself, went into a shelter in the cellar, the works took a hit and they were all killed.

The only part of the building to survive was the front on Nursery street. Its the part to the right on both

you picture and S00990. Its the part with Mansard roof.

The debris sat there most of the War (I used to play in it as a kid) and was finally cleared by VE Day.

The factory was rebuilt, by the Lawrence company in the late 1940.

I grew up around the corner on Stanley street but left the area in 1960. Therefore, I have no knowledge as to what happened

to it after Lawrence's moved out.

Regards

Hello,

You are going to be sick of me and this topic but there are a couple of things I have just recalled:

First: When the property was G.H. Lawrence's razor blade factory, the proper name was , "Laurel Works".

The second thing is anecdotal: When the bomb fell on the works during the blitz, the blast blew coils or steel razor strip out of the building.

One particular coil flew across the street and draped itself like tinsel around the pinacles on the tower of Holy Trinity Church.

My dad took me to see it one moonlit night, along with a lot of other sightseers and the effect was quite dramatic.

After all it was almost Christmas.

There it stayed for quite a while as everybody was, naturally, busy doing other things. By the time they came to cut it down,

it had gone rusty, being carbon steel.

N.B. The pinacles became a H & S issue and were removed years ago.

Regards

Hello,

You are going to be sick of me and this topic but there are a couple of things I have just recalled:

First: When the property was G.H. Lawrence's razor blade factory, the proper name was , "Laurel Works".

The second thing is anecdotal: When the bomb fell on the works during the blitz, the blast blew coils or steel razor strip out of the building.

One particular coil flew across the street and draped itself around the pinacles on the tower of Holy Trinity Church

like tinsel.

My dad took me to see it one moonlit night, along with a lot of other sightseers and the effect was quite dramatic.

After all it was almost Christmas.

There it stayed for quite a while as everybody was, naturally, busy doing other things. By the time they came to cut it down,

it had gone rusty, being carbon steel.

N.B. The pinacles became a H & S issue and were removed years ago.

Regards

I bet there is'nt a photo, would make a good one :(

With regard your 1st statement, no we won't this is what the forum is all about, keep those memories coming :)

REVISED 02/07/09

Hi,

Ref.again, the photo that started this topic.

About 18 months ago, on Sheffield Forum, there was request for information regarding the location of an Annex to the

Children's Hospital that was in the Wicker Area. I understand the Hospital's records make reference to its existance but don't

give any details. Where ever it was, it was closed in 1931. We do know that it was called the East End Branch and first

located at 86 Wicker in 1893, then moving to a, supposedly, purpose-built building on Nursery Street in 1913.

Now, there were only three buildings on the old Nursery Street that had ever seen the hand of an Architect. These were: The

Coronor's Court building at the corner of Wicker Lane, Holy Trinity Church at the corner of Johnson Street and the front section

of the GH Lawrence property. What do you think?

Regards

Hello,

I did some digging on Sheffield Forum and came up with this:

http/www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/georgelawrence/htm

It looks like George Lawrence's Laurel Works was the originally the site of the East End Branch of the Children's Hospital.

Regards

On this subject -

Surely the council should be obliged to keep records of buildings (and areas) about to be demolished which, common sense would say, should include pictures. All the information and pictures should be available to anyone for free viewing. After all it's our city and our council. Or am I being naive?

On this subject -

Surely the council should be obliged to keep records of buildings (and areas) about to be demolished which, common sense would say, should include pictures. All the information and pictures should be available to anyone for free viewing. After all it's our city and our council. Or am I being naive?

Yes :)

Think of it this way, they already have records of what exists/existed in the guise of plans and maps. To keep photographic records would cost money which has to come from the public purse and there are more pressing demands on the money.

Guest tink2203

Stuart, One of the things that I am trying to do is take photo,s of interesting old buildings in Sheffield before they have been demolished. Although I have several hundred photos in my collection , I post quite a few in the gallery. These photo,s can be copied and used by anyone without my sayso and without the Sheffield History overstamp. One of my photo,s is of the Laurel Razorblade factory that you have taken a photo of.

hey sorry to butt in but where can i find these photographs of the buildings before they are knocked down? only im looking at doing an art project looking at Sheffield Buildings? thanks :D

hey sorry to butt in but where can i find these photographs of the buildings before they are knocked down? only im looking at dong an art project looking at Sheffield Buildings? thanks :D

Welcome tink2203,

the photographs that you mention were removed from Sheffield History

at the request of the original poster.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Steve