Class 40 through Sheffield this Sat 7th Dec 08

Guest bus man

Guest bus man

40105 a class 40 diesel will be working through sheffield on saturday doing a shrewsbury - Lincoln special .

NOTE The loco should have been a deltic , the loco is in BR blue large livery and in order to avoid any embarasment is a HISTORIC DIESEL LOCO sorry to the anoraks but cant find its D2** number

The train will NOT work through darnal as this line is not available as there are no paths due to the bradway tunnell closeure

Edale 0922

Grindleford 0933

Totley Tunnel 0941

Sheffield 0954-1005

Swinton 1022

and return:

Swinton 1724

Wincobank 1737

Sheffield 1743-1748

Totley Tunnel 1803

Bamford 1812

Edale 1822

Guest transit

40105 a class 40 diesel will be working through sheffield on saturday doing a shrewsbury - Lincoln special .

NOTE The loco should have been a deltic , the loco is in BR blue large livery and in order to avoid any embarasment is a HISTORIC DIESEL LOCO sorry to the anoraks but cant find its D2** number

The train will NOT work through darnal as this line is not available as there are no paths due to the bradway tunnell closeure

Edale 0922

Grindleford 0933

Totley Tunnel 0941

Sheffield 0954-1005

Swinton 1022

and return:

Swinton 1724

Wincobank 1737

Sheffield 1743-1748

Totley Tunnel 1803

Bamford 1812

Edale 1822

PLEASE NOTE...SAT 6th DEC 2008 - (NOT 7TH!!!- Its Busmans age you know !!!)

Guest bus man

PLEASE NOTE...SAT 6th DEC 2008 - (NOT 7TH!!!- Its Busmans age you know !!!)

Ooooooooooooooooooops sorry well spotted transit

Guest bus man

Ooooooooooooooooooops sorry well spotted transit

This train wil be top an tailed by a west coast railway class 47 to provide heat - ooops sorry you lot wont know what a class 47 is I mean a brush 4

Just as an aside wcr work out of what was carnforth shed

Guest bus man

This train wil be top an tailed by a west coast railway class 47 to provide heat - ooops sorry you lot wont know what a class 47 is I mean a brush 4

Just as an aside wcr work out of what was carnforth shed

Already gone through dore early

Guest bus man

As Busman say's slightly early, seen here at Totley Tunnel East

Nice shot just heard its just gone back

You will notice if you look at the above photo that the top of the loco infront of the driver is painted black this livery is based on one carried by class 37s in Scotland the origional ones were done with yellow paint infront of the driver this was quickly changed to black as the glare off it was too much and they couldnt see

Nice shot just heard its just gone back

You will notice if you look at the above photo that the top of the loco infront of the driver is painted black this livery is based on one carried by class 37s in Scotland the origional ones were done with yellow paint infront of the driver this was quickly changed to black as the glare off it was too much and they couldnt see

The Class 47/57 at the rear

Guest bus man

Cant provide a link but there is a artilce in the dail mail regarding the bad behaviour of some people on diesel charters espcially the class 40's

That thing was at the ELR diesel day last year (2009) and it looks dredful painted like a bloody syphon. I can't think what the owners where thinking off.

The Class 47/57 at the rear

Just been looking at that pic of the rear of the train and i was wondering does anyone know what that siding was used for ?

Just been looking at that pic of the rear of the train and i was wondering does anyone know what that siding was used for ?

Usually described as the Down Refuge Siding I believe. Totley Tunnel East signal box would also be on the down side somewhere just behind the photographer. I don't know if the box is still in use.

Usually described as the Down Refuge Siding I believe. Totley Tunnel East signal box would also be on the down side somewhere just behind the photographer. I don't know if the box is still in use.

Yes Totley Tunnel East is just behind the photographer (Me). The box is still in use, controlling the entrance to the tunnel and the refuge siding which also is still in use.

In recent years the box has been refurbished and now sports upvc windows, how many more Midland style signal boxes are still operational and have upvc double glazing?

Next question then, is that the up side or the down side, further towards Sheffield after Dore Junction the line from Sheffield is the Up line. (ie towards London)

Next question then, is that the up side or the down side, further towards Sheffield after Dore Junction the line from Sheffield is the Up line. (ie towards London)

Have a look at the mile posts ...

If they go down towards Manchester then thats the down line etc etc

The general rule of thumb is the line to London is always Up. It gets a bit more complicated when lines run across country. As RichS says, it can usually be determined by mileposts, but....I am certain there will be anomalies.

From the most recent Network Rail sectional appendix I have a copy of, the line from the point at which the line becomes double between Dore Station and Manchester it is the down line, officially known as the Down Manchester Line.

Back in the days when the line was double all the way, it was the down line from Dore & Totley Station, and probably from the junction with the main line.

The general rule of thumb is the line to London is always Up. It gets a bit more complicated when lines run across country. As RichS says, it can usually be determined by mileposts, but....I am certain there will be anomalies.

From the most recent Network Rail sectional appendix I have a copy of, the line from the point at which the line becomes double between Dore Station and Manchester it is the down line, officially known as the Down Manchester Line.

Back in the days when the line was double all the way, it was the down line from Dore & Totley Station, and probably from the junction with the main line.

Am I reading this right, mileages seem to be increasing from Dore West Jcn 154m 16 ch to Totley Tunnel East 154m 62ch, but the Manchester line is marked as the down line?

Where are these distances from?

Am I reading this right, mileages seem to be increasing from Dore West Jcn 154m 16 ch to Totley Tunnel East 154m 62ch, but the Manchester line is marked as the down line?

Where are these distances from?

I am fairly certain that these mileages will be from St Pancras, as this line was built by the Midland Railway. Following the building of the Eurostar teminal at St Pancras and the resiting of the domestic platfoems, this line now seems to start at 0 miles 12 chains!

Now I think about it, it is often the case that mileages on mileposts decrease on up lines. It all depends on where the mileage point 0 miles 0 chains is - easy for lines to/from London, not easy for cross country lines - often need to know the history of the line to work it out.

If this was an original Midland Railway line (which i'm sure it was) then you always went up to Derby so i guess the diagram is correct and the line to Manchester is the Down line.

.........................and just to confuse the issue more, remember in our old spotting days on Archer Road bridge et al, when a Manchester bound train was signalled, the cry would be heard "Up Manx pegged" and vice versa for the Sheffield bound trains or was it just because of the gradient.

Nice picture of the signal box Stuart - if that's the outside loo next to it, best not walk underneath!

.........................and just to confuse the issue more, remember in our old spotting days on Archer Road bridge et al, when a Manchester bound train was signalled, the cry would be heard "Up Manx pegged" and vice versa for the Sheffield bound trains or was it just because of the gradient.

At Archer Road any train heading south from Sheffield would be an up train in railway terms. A Manchester train would then become a down train at Dore & Totley or Dore West Junction, depending on the date.