Local Cricket Heroes --post your memories!

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

How about some memories of some of the outstanding League cricketers down the years --and some of the characters. Anyone who has watched local cricket for long enough will have many recollections of players who were great servants and terrific batsmen, bowlers or all-rounders.

I'll kick off with one guy who is largely forgotten now --Arnie Mellor. I saw him in the later years of his playing career, when he was with Thorncliffe Rec. He was a veteran then, but he could still bowl a bit --and get vital runs when they were needed! I learned later that he was an outstanding performer as the professional at Rawmarsh in the thirties, and afterwards he played (I think) at Thorncliffe (Lound Side) before he ended up in the Newton Chambers team, Thorncliffe Rec. Arnie lived near the top of Thorncliffe Lane for many years. He had a son, John, who was also a good bowler.

How about some memories of some of the outstanding League cricketers down the years --and some of the characters. Anyone who has watched local cricket for long enough will have many recollections of players who were great servants and terrific batsmen, bowlers or all-rounders.

I'll kick off with one guy who is largely forgotten now --Arnie Mellor. I saw him in the later years of his playing career, when he was with Thorncliffe Rec. He was a veteran then, but he could still bowl a bit --and get vital runs when they were needed! I learned later that he was an outstanding performer as the professional at Rawmarsh in the thirties, and afterwards he played (I think) at Thorncliffe (Lound Side) before he ended up in the Newton Chambers team, Thorncliffe Rec. Arnie lived near the top of Thorncliffe Lane for many years. He had a son, John, who was also a good bowler.

Sorry to see that there isn't a great rush to add material on this thread. So here's another picture --it's of a couple of Shiregreen heroes, Pat Flaherty and Graham Burdett. Someone must have a few stories about Shiregreen and games at Hatfield House Lane in the heyday of Jackie Thomson. Then, of course, there was Ben Jessop, the secretary. He was a leading figure in the formation of the Sheffield & District Junior Cricket League.

Sorry to see that there isn't a great rush to add material on this thread. So here's another picture --it's of a couple of Shiregreen heroes, Pat Flaherty and Graham Burdett. Someone must have a few stories about Shiregreen and games at Hatfield House Lane in the heyday of Jackie Thomson. Then, of course, there was Ben Jessop, the secretary. He was a leading figure in the formation of the Sheffield & District Junior Cricket League.

Oh dear! Still nobody responding! I suppose I'll have to put up another picture showing three more local cricket figures --Eric Burgin, Frank Melling and Jack Bland.

Burgin and Melling were both outstanding players with Sheffield United in their Bramall Lane heyday. Burgin played for Yorkshire 50 or more years ago, and he was a great servant of United. Melling, of course, was United captain for many years, and he was known as one of the best fielders in local cricket. He was the man who took George Pope to United after they had played together in the Bradford League. Jack Bland, who played for many clubs, is best known today as an official of the Sheffield & District Junior Cricket League --putting something back into the game by helping in the development of the stars of tomorrow!

When I used to watch Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on saturday afternoons they had a prolific batsman by the the name of Ken Lee?am I right?

When I used to watch Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on saturday afternoons they had a prolific batsman by the the name of Ken Lee?am I right?

Yes, Ken Lee was a classy batsman, tall and elegant. He was also a gentleman, a great guy. For many years he was a director of Sheffield United, serving on the old cricket committee in the days before wee pipe Wragg decided to kick cricket out of Bramall Lane.

Sheffield United had a number of class acts in the old days, and if I can find a picture of one of the old teams I will post it on here.

In the meantime, I am hoping that a number of the people who have discussed local cricket on the Sheffield Forum site will join us here and add a few stories and pictures!

Yes, Ken Lee was a classy batsman, tall and elegant. He was also a gentleman, a great guy. For many years he was a director of Sheffield United, serving on the old cricket committee in the days before wee pipe Wragg decided to kick cricket out of Bramall Lane.

Sheffield United had a number of class acts in the old days, and if I can find a picture of one of the old teams I will post it on here.

In the meantime, I am hoping that a number of the people who have discussed local cricket on the Sheffield Forum site will join us here and add a few stories and pictures!

Some of the well-known local cricket names that have been mentioned are:

Terry Whitham

Tony Kay, Arthur Johnson, Ray and Barry Gott (Oughtibridge);

Bruce Oakes, Bill Cummins (Sheffield United);

Amos Gledhill, Bill Childs, Jack Bland;

David Shutt (City Surveyors and Sheffield United);

Trevor Cottam, Andy Burgin, Ivor Seemley, John Moore, Jim Sorsby (Shiregreen).

There must be lots more.

Oh dear! Still nobody responding! I suppose I'll have to put up another picture showing three more local cricket figures --Eric Burgin, Frank Melling and Jack Bland.

Burgin and Melling were both outstanding players with Sheffield United in their Bramall Lane heyday. Burgin played for Yorkshire 50 or more years ago, and he was a great servant of United. Melling, of course, was United captain for many years, and he was known as one of the best fielders in local cricket. He was the man who took George Pope to United after they had played together in the Bradford League. Jack Bland, who played for many clubs, is best known today as an official of the Sheffield & District Junior Cricket League --putting something back into the game by helping in the development of the stars of tomorrow!

Hi OKSK

I used to know Eric Burgin and looked him on on Wikipedia a while ago

Eric Burgin

> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

> Jump to: navigation, search

>

> Eric Burgin was a first class cricketer who played 12 matches for

> Yorkshire

> County Cricket Club in 1952 and 1953. A right arm medium pacer, he took 31

> wickets at a useful 25.64 with a best of 6 for 43 against Surrey. A right

> handed lower order bat, he scored 92 runs at 13.14 with a top score of 32

> made against Middlesex.

>

> He was born on January 4, 1924 in Pitsmoor, Sheffield.

Hi OKSK

I used to know Eric Burgin and looked him on on Wikipedia a while ago

Eric Burgin

> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

> Jump to: navigation, search

>

> Eric Burgin was a first class cricketer who played 12 matches for

> Yorkshire

> County Cricket Club in 1952 and 1953. A right arm medium pacer, he took 31

> wickets at a useful 25.64 with a best of 6 for 43 against Surrey. A right

> handed lower order bat, he scored 92 runs at 13.14 with a top score of 32

> made against Middlesex.

>

> He was born on January 4, 1924 in Pitsmoor, Sheffield.

Eric is still around so far as I know, and he has a grandson who is playing with one of the Sheffield United junior sides. Eric, as I said before, has been a great servant to Sheffield United. I think there was a time, many years ago, when he played up at the old Atlas & Norfolk.

Terry Whitham

There must be lots more.

Here's a few more names --just in the hope that some cricket folk will join in and add some other names!

Stan Clayton (Hallam & Elsecar),

Brian Sissons (SPT/Roth Pheonix), Eric Peploe (Cortonwood), Phillip Wrightson (Cortonwood).

Brian Hobson (Frecheville),

Frank Elliott (Bradfield),

Jackie Thompson (Shiregreen),

Doug Smith (Shiregreen and Elsecar),

Ken Cooke (Roth Phoenix),

Trevor Barrass (Thorncliffe),

Les Bedford Sheff United, Hallam).

Frank Fisher (Thorncliffe).

Anyone remember ERnest Bullock, a great servant to local cricket. I think he was connected with ESC.

I did promise hougomont I would find a picture with Ken Lee on. Here is Ken with Frank Melling, taken at Bawtry Road many years ago.

Guest DIZZINICK

Terry Whitham

There must be lots more.

Hi there, I knew Ben Jessop at Shiregreen. I lived at the rear of the ground on Shiregreen Terrace, and would go and turn my arm over with the players in the nets. I did a bit of scoring for the club, and played for the junior, and the second 11 in about the mid sixties. I remember Jim Sorsby, and a young fast bowler by the name of Roger Heath ( He was a bit Quick) I wasnt very good with the bat but used to bowl Leg Spin.

OCSK, you've hit on a topic I know less about than Transport (and that takes some doing !). Never seen a live game, played a bit at School, but was entirely useless, if, indeed that good. I could do a mean triple-jump back then but of a limited use at cricket :rolleyes:

But, in the interests of Sheffield history, he's a tiny contribution of Sheffield cricketers from way back when (from SheffieldRecordsonline). Maybe some history of these people will come to light, or may encourage others to add to the list.

George Chatterton, Cricketter, Norfolk Terrace (1849)

John William Smith, Professional Cricketter, 16 Carr Bank Lane (1911 & 1919); 14 Carr Bank Lane (1925)

I ashamed of this contribution, but, with my knowledge of Sheffield and cricket it is the best I can muster at the moment; come on you cricket fans somebody must have something to add - please.

Thanks

Titch.

OCSK, you've hit on a topic I know less about than Transport (and that takes some doing !). Never seen a live game, played a bit at School, but was entirely useless, if, indeed that good. I could do a mean triple-jump back then but of a limited use at cricket :rolleyes:

But, in the interests of Sheffield history, he's a tiny contribution of Sheffield cricketers from way back when (from SheffieldRecordsonline). Maybe some history of these people will come to light, or may encourage others to add to the list.

George Chatterton, Cricketter, Norfolk Terrace (1849)

John William Smith, Professional Cricketter, 16 Carr Bank Lane (1911 & 1919); 14 Carr Bank Lane (1925)

I ashamed of this contribution, but, with my knowledge of Sheffield and cricket it is the best I can muster at the moment; come on you cricket fans somebody must have something to add - please.

Thanks

Titch.

Well before all our times but this chap must have had the best name of all local cricketers!

Full name Lamplough Wallgate

Born November 12, 1849, Norton, Yorkshire

Died May 9, 1887, Harrogate, Yorkshire (aged 37 years 178 days)

Major teams Yorkshire

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm bowler (roundarm)

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 4s 6s Ct St First-class 2 2 0 3 3 1.50 0 0 0 0 2 0 <a name="bowlaves"> Bowling averages

Mat Balls Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 5w 10 First-class 2 36 17 1 1/17 17.00 2.83 36.0 0 0 Career statistics First-class span 1875 - 1877

Welcome to Sheffield History barks

Did you intend to post a picture or make a reply in your previous (first) post?

If so you seem to have created a post quote but no seperate text or picture.

If you let us know what you intend the admin team will be able to help you.

Guest Jon Myers

hi can anyone remember my dad he used to play a lot for shiregreen in the 70s/80s ive got tons of his trophys that hes won over the years here , jim myers or big jim myers as they used to call him also john myers aswell my uncle. , ill try and upload a picture now

20150205_193935.jpg

20150205_195122.jpg

Guest Jon Myers

not my dads era but really early shiregreen cricket club photos , has anyone got any cricketing pictures of my dad id love to see them, thanks

My grandad, William Morris had a small gold medallion on his watch chain inscribed on the back "EWSCC Batting Prize 1902". His initials were inscribed on the other face. It was made by J G Graves of Sheffield & is hallmarked.

Can anyone identify what cricket club EWS Cricket Club might be please? In 1902 he was an 18 year old heating engineer living at 61 Sellers St . By 1911 & for the rest of his life he worked for the Sheffield Gas Company & might even have worked for them in 1901. Might EWS be something to do with teh Sheffield Gas Company?

John

John - may be a long shot but many of the sports teams in the 19th century ie The Wednesday, Sheffield United had both fooball and cricket sections. One of these clubs - and the only one I can think of beginning with "E" (apart from Ecclesfield or Ecclesall was the Exchange Works who had both a football and cricket team. I suppos ethere is a chance they were referred to as Exchaneg Works (Sheffield) cricket Club ?

Could this fit ? from Sheffield Telegraph 1902 !

exchange cricket.tiff

Guest Jon Myers

found a great shiregreen photo with my dad in , can anyone recognise and name the others please. looking at the posts above looks like the 2 chaps there( Pat Flaherty and Graham Burdett )

Screenshot_2015-05-12-21-38-15.png

As I have only been able to post on the Forum since May, though I had read the posts for some months before then,I have a lot of memories going back to childhood days of cricket in Sheffield and South Yorkshire. In Old Canny Street Kid's early posts I recognize names of quite a number I knew or played against.

Brought up in a cricketing environment ( taken to first match at Gas Work's ground - Age about 6 months!) it was the early 40's before I had my own first 'proper' bat.(I still have it!). During the War years the Cricket Weeks at Thorncliffe and Parkhead plus the ESC v Shiregreen 'War Effort Charity' matches used to attract large crowds with well known County and International players ( I was collecting autographs by then) as well as the best of local talent.

Though my playing days in South Yorkshire finished in the early 60's I remember the great guys I had the privilege of watching and playing with plus the many hardworking and conscientious characters who gave their time to the game of cricket.

When Old Canny Street Kid started this thread almost 8 years ago responses were slow in appearing, perhaps in part due to there being fewer older ' not yet computer savvy' older cricketers around or too busy involved in running, and/or umpiring, local clubs. Today the encouragement given to young cricketers and the progress of Women's Cricket has been rapid thanks to the efforts of many of those mentioned in the early posts.

In the hope that someone recognizes a relative whose cricketing days were active then I have attached a couple of scans of ESC teams of 1948 and 1951/2.  

hpqscan0001.jpg

hpqscan0002.jpg

1948 Team: Back Row L to R:

E Bullock   M Cooke  D Jacques   J Knighton G Bradley

Front Row L to R;

H Orridge   W Jarvis   F Smith   J Spencer   W Norman   R Short