The Great Sheffield Gale, 1962

Guest tsavo

Somewhere I have got a scan of a blueprint of the floor plan of a TARRAN, if I can find it out I will post it on here.

The Tarran prefab

Note that it also, in common with other designs, has the classic kitchen and bathroom back to back with the fireplace in a living room across the end of both. This design allows for unipoint service supply of electric main, gas (if used), water main, hot water (hence that fireplace at the end, - with a back boiler), drainage and sewage removal.

The Tarran prefab

Note that it also, in common with other designs, has the classic kitchen and bathroom back to back with the fireplace in a living room across the end of both. This design allows for unipoint service supply of electric main, gas (if used), water main, hot water (hence that fireplace at the end, - with a back boiler), drainage and sewage removal.

You have to admire the design work that went into those prefabs.

We have previously lived in two detached conventionally built bungalows and neither of them were well designed. Built in the sixties, one of them had an enormous internal hall; big enough to host a small party conference.

The other was built with one huge bedroom with three external walls and two "picture" windows. In winter it was f-f-freezing and meant a move to the second bedroom which was the size of a broom cupboard.

The rooms in the prefabs may have been snug but at least they were laid out well, in a logical manner.

HD

thanks but i think this one is just about the 1962 gale with loads of pics, also to do with star

Welcome to Sheffield History cheekyboy and thanks for posting, nice to meet another surviving vetran of the Sheffield prefabs.

I don't know anything about such a book, but like you I would be very interested in obtaining a copy.

Any information would be appreciated b y both me and cheekyboy.

Feeling of deja-vu here Steve,

Seem to remember we had a member a year or so back that posted quite a bit.

Can't remember his username but he worked at Weston Park wether station and had acess to their records. All his posts were about weather records in Sheffield.

i feel sure he said something about a book on 400 years of weather in Sheffield

Is this his book?

Have we got a member who is "in the know" on this particular book you mention?

You have to admire the design work that went into those prefabs. We have previously lived in two detached conventionally built bungalows and neither of them were well designed. Built in the sixties, one of them had an enormous internal hall; big enough to host a small party conference. The other was built with one huge bedroom with three external walls and two "picture" windows. In winter it was f-f-freezing and meant a move to the second bedroom which was the size of a broom cupboard. The rooms in the prefabs may have been snug but at least they were laid out well, in a logical manner. HD

The brilliant piece of design on the back to back kitchen / bathroom unit is down to a Czechoslovak designer called George Fejer who later went on to work for Hygena kitchens.

To quote Wikipedia

Uni-Seco had appointed in 1943 the Czehzolvakian emigre George Fejer as an industrial designer, who on a part-time basis helped out with their kitchen design. Fejer later worked with Arthur Webb and George Nunn at Hygena to create the UK style of fitted kitchen, based on the principles of the Frankfurt kitchen

So I was talking to this bloke in the pub a few weeks ago and he said "I've got some photos of the a house at Walkley Bank Road, damaged in the 1962 gale"

He offered to scan them and leave them behind the bar for me. (Where have I heard that one before, I thought.)

Sure enough, a few weeks later, here they are.

Thank you very much sir (don't know your name) they are most appreciated

110, Walkley Bank Road - 1962

So I was talking to this bloke in the pub a few weeks ago and he said "I've got some photos of the a house at Walkley Bank Road, damaged in the 1962 gale"

He offered to scan them and leave them behind the bar for me. (Where have I heard that one before, I thought.)

Sure enough, a few weeks later, here they are.

Thank you very much sir (don't know your name) they are most appreciated

110, Walkley Bank Road - 1962

Yes many thanks to him, - these are really good photos.

With the mass wholesale damage that happened on the prefab estates it is easy to overllok the damage that happened to more traditional brick built housing as this was not as extensive or widespread.

However, many houses lost roofs and chimneys in the gales, and these were weighty items compared to wood and asbestos caused more damage and injuries (even a few fatalities) when bricks and slates started to fly.

On the Arbourthorne most damage to the brick built council houses seems to have been caused by the house being hit by flying debris from the prefabs (asbestos panels, flat tarred roof, timbers, furniture etc) rather than just by the sheer force of the wind itself.

There were three fatalities; aged 17, 30 and 57 - as it is rapidly heading towards the 50th anniversary of the Gale, I don't think it in anyway improper to name the victims.

So, go on then ...

Could this be in the lead story on the copy of the Star in post #13 above?

It's too small to read and there was more than one fatality that night but the headline describes this incident well.

Its just an eigenvalue problem based on the vertical structure equation for stationary, internal gravity waves.

I'd have thought everyone knew that.

For those of you who don't have brains the size and complexity of solar systems, here's an explanation (or just read the three relevant pages in the pdf, I would think it will not make a huge difference whether you read the extract or the whole thing; I can't get past the introduction ...)

did you enjoy that ?

Any the wiser ?

No, nor me.

Gale.pdf

There were three fatalities; aged 17, 30 and 57 - as it is rapidly heading towards the 50th anniversary of the Gale, I don't think it in anyway improper to name the victims.

So, go on then ...

I know a lady round the corner from me died as she lay in bed, the chimney

blew off and fell through the roof and landed on top of her. It could have been the one aged 57

but we were told it was an old lady but when you are young I suppose 57 does seem old.

Mrs 57-year old lived at Crookes.

I know a lady round the corner from me died as she lay in bed, the chimney

blew off and fell through the roof and landed on top of her. It could have been the one aged 57

but we were told it was an old lady but when you are young I suppose 57 does seem old.

Mrs 57-year old lived at Crookes.

No this one wasn't Crookes , infact we have been through this one once before

but I can't think which topic it was under. I think someone posted a newspaper

cutting of Ellison Street.

According to my source (which, of course, may be factually incorrect - it's "just" an internet page - not giving out clues yet) the three deaths were all caused by falling chimneys.

17 year old male, Colwell Street, Attercliffe (I think this is meant to be Colwall Street)

30 year old female, wife of the Vicar of Brightside, no address given beyond that.

57 year old female, Crookes. Husband in a serious condition.

Anyone got a Kelly's nearer to 1962 than my 1957 or Steve's 1965 please ? I may have to check a couple of things with Steve, if 1965 is the best we have access to.

I hope the Ellison Street atricle shows up Ukelele Lady - might add a little to the confuzzlementness.

No this one wasn't Crookes , infact we have been through this one once before

but I can't think which topic it was under. I think someone posted a newspaper

cutting of Ellison Street.

The 30 yr old lady was the Vicar's wife who was vicar of St Hilda's on Windmill Lane. It was the large corner house on Hinde House Lane/Firth Park Ave. The couple had got up from their beds and gone downstairs as the house was shaking. The chimney came off and fell through the roof and first floor, landing on her as she sat on the sofa. I think their surname was Hill.

Lyn

Sounds correct according to my source which reads :

Mrs. Shirley Hill, aged 30, wife of the vicar of Brightside, the Rev, Colin Hill. was sitting in a chair downstairs when the chimney-stack crashed through the roof and bedroom floor on to her.

--------------------------

Nice work Lyn.

The 30 yr old lady was the Vicar's wife who was vicar of St Hilda's on Windmill Lane. It was the large corner house on Hinde House Lane/Firth Park Ave. The couple had got up from their beds and gone downstairs as the house was shaking. The chimney came off and fell through the roof and first floor, landing on her as she sat on the sofa. I think their surname was Hill.

Lyn

I'm not claiming any expertise in this Uke, just "the data" as I found it - which could well be flawed. If it helps here is what I found of Mrs 57-year old :

Mrs. Ida Stabbs, aged 57, who died in hospital after a chimney fell on to her bed in Crookes, Sheffield. Her husband, Eric, aged 56, was taken to hospital in a serious condition.

Which still leaves victim 3, 17 year old male to be located.

Hopefully with a name, street, date something will turn up from some of those clever "newspaper searching" members.

http://www.britishpa...urricane-damage

The Sheffield Gales of 1962 stating one of the victims was Crookes, maybe they

meant Crookesmoor. The one I was talking about was in Ellison Street, Netherthorpe.

I know there was a newspaper report of it.

My source is the Fire Brigade ... 3 kiiled according to all reports I've read, and hopefully, we've got the names of two of them. Our sources have just as much chance of being incorrect as any other - but with names, ages, dates, districts and maybe streets at least we'll all be closer to finding out what happened.

It seems someones child/ren at Firth Park was killed.

They were situated at the side of St Hildas church.

SF

Trapped lee wave - always going to be bother ...

Its just an eigenvalue problem based on the vertical structure equation for stationary, internal gravity waves.

For those of you who don't have brains the size and complexity of solar systems, here's an explanation (or just read the three relevant pages in the pdf, I would think it will not make a huge difference whether you read the extract or the whole thing; I can't get past the introduction ...)

did you enjoy that ?

Any the wiser ?

No, nor me.

Lee waves.pdf

Once I work it out the answer to the un-asked question "Why ?" is in the Lee wave Schrodinger equation - bear with me, this might takes a while ... he he

did you enjoy that ?

Any the wiser ?

No, nor me.

Schrodinger.pdf