Anyone know what this building was built as ?

dunsbyowl1867

Page Hall

Back in the 1970's it was used by the Patnick family as a second hand furniture store. It was quite large inside - I wonder if it had been a theatre as the decoration on the outside is very ornate?

Page Hall

Back in the 1970's it was used by the Patnick family as a second hand furniture store. It was quite large inside - I wonder if it had been a theatre as the decoration on the outside is very ornate?

In the 1950s/60s it was a Co-op and sold all sorts of stuff. I recall going in for a new spout for the teapot. In those far off days we mended rather than bought new and the teapot was a pot one and the new spout a rubber one. Popes took it over after Patnicks.

Lyn

I read somewhere (and i am sure i have a picture) that it used to be a theatre.

I will have a dig around at home later.

No mention of it on Picture Sheffield?

Guest transit

I read somewhere (and i am sure i have a picture) that it used to be a theatre.

I will have a dig around at home later.

No mention of it on Picture Sheffield?

Popes DIY were there to the early 90's.

Page Hall

I seem to remember it as a Brightside & Carbrook store also.

I was told it was a B&C branch - selling soft furnishings, millinery, curtains etc. but Patnicks had it when we moved to the area.

The B&C grocery stores was on Owler lane along with the butcher's next door.

I have a brochure from the B&C co-op, printed in 1929 to celebrate the opening of original central store at the junction of Waingate and Exchange St and listing all contractors.

It has a photo of their first store in Carbrook street which was opened in 1869, it also has photos of all 39 grocery branches operating at the time. This picture shows the Page Hall branch, selling drapery, boots and shoe sales, boot and shoe repairs, tailoring and outfitting and confectionary but no groceries. telephone number 41906.

There were grocery stores close by at Fir Vale and Dykes Hall road.

I have a brochure from the B&C co-op, printed in 1929 to celebrate the opening of original central store at the junction of Waingate and Exchange St and listing all contractors.

It has a photo of their first store in Carbrook street which was opened in 1869, it also has photos of all 39 grocery branches operating at the time. This picture shows the Page Hall branch, selling drapery, boots and shoe sales, boot and shoe repairs, tailoring and outfitting and confectionary but no groceries. telephone number 41906.

Thank you that's fantastic!

I used to live on Dykes Hall Road, no 53 - just up from Avondale Road - most interested in learning more.

The shop in question was at the junction of Ben Lane, Dykes Hall Rd and Far Lane.

I can picture that in my minds eye, across the road from the pub ! I used to go to School that way, up Dykes Hall Road, down Far Lane - twas on the right going to School, strangely, on the left coming back !

Page Hall

In the 1950s/60s it was a Co-op and sold all sorts of stuff. I recall going in for a new spout for the teapot. In those far off days we mended rather than bought new and the teapot was a pot one and the new spout a rubber one. Popes took it over after Patnicks.

Lyn