Where in Sheffield are your best memories from?

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

To make the site of interest to all our members, we need to know which area of Sheffield holds your fondest memories.

Tell us where and we'll do the rest, or you can help with the research, you'll be made most welcome!

:D

To make the site of interest to all our members, we need to know which area of Sheffield holds your fondest memories.

Tell us where and we'll do the rest, or you can help with the research, you'll be made most welcome!

I was born on don road in 1940.went to newhall school till 1951 then to hatfield house lane.although we had very little we knew how to enjoy ourselves,we used to play games in the street and backyards.in those days you could play outside without the fear of being molested.my mother used to take us up cliffe to do the shopping,she could leave the door open without the fear of being burgled .not that they would have found anything anyway.a holiday for us was a day at cleethorps or skeggy courtesy of new hall school or some w.m.c. catching the tram to millhouses park or the train to elsecar was an unforgettable experience.don road

brightside was a grimey place but you couldn't say that of the people who lived there .they were a very friendly and colourful set of people.although the houses have long been demolished the memories will stay.

hope to add more at a later date

A very early Tsavo posting, never noticed it before ...

Walkley & Hillsborough for me.

How about everyone else ?

Lived on Adlington Cresc., the old part of Parson Cross. Behind us there was a large field. Half was under cultivation, the other half left as it was. On the open part, we had a rough footie pitch, holes in the ground, about 4 foot deep, probably created during the construction of the houses, and lots of little hills. These were great to play cowboys and indians, and with the help of corrugated sheets left over from Anderson shelters, we made dens to hide in.

The cultivted area was used alternately to grow potatoes, or corn. The spuds came in handy to supplement meals for the locals, especially after harvesting as we were allowed to help ourselves. Before this, well, it was always considered a local benefit. The years when the corn grew taller than we kids, there was lots of fun making pathways and places to hide. A great childhood.

I'm a Manor lad born in Queen Mary Road (now demolished). From my recent posts you can tell that I'm interested in the Manor Lodge and Sheffield Park. But I'm also interested in my family history. This covers several surnames: Appleyard, Benton, Yeardley, Dolan plus others. Done tons of research on Manor and Park, so unless you come accross something in the archives, I doubt anyone could surprise me there. ;-)

Family history mysteries to track down still are: on Appleyard side, finding the graves of any Appleyards in Sheffield area and on the Benton side why they seem to have moved in mass from Birmingham?

Guest Reddles

Born & bred Ecclesall but my fondest memories are of the bottom of the Moor as it was in the late 60's early 70's before some bright planner spoilt it all (in my opinion) My grandparents lived in Sharrow and we used to walk down London Rd to visit relatives in some of the terraced houses that are no longer there somewhere around where the roundabout/Wickes is and then go to the co op.

Best shopping times in Sheffield were when you could simply go down the Moor then carry on up Ecclesall Rd. I really wish 'they' had left it alone.

I understand they are 'doing something' opposite Atkinsons at the moment, to do with a new market?