The Last Train

A television series shown in 1999 and part filmed / part set in Sheffield.

Early in the series 2 of a team of scientists are seen talking from a location looking over the city centre.

An episode later, after coming back from London and being trapped in Clay cross tunnel following an earthquake and a gas canister leak which has suspended them in time for several years they finally make it back to Sheffield.

They stand in exactly the same position, overlooking a city which is recognizable as Sheffield but is now in ruins following the earthquake. (not quite sure how they managed to film that scene) They are discussing their plight in this situation-

Classic quote

"OK let me get this right, a meteorite crashes into the middle of Africa and half of bloody Sheffield falls down!"

Dave i loved that series. Here's a bit of a spooky tale for you.

Although i've never been to Sheffield every time i watched this programme i felt like i really knew where they were. I also felt deep sadness but couldn't put my finger on the reason why. I felt like i wouldn't dare miss an episode for anything and i was glued to the screen. Then i learned something ! :o

Someone told me only recently that some scenes were set in the Wadsley asylum grounds (middlewood hospital?) and my Gt Grandfather died there in Ocober 1914. No wonder i felt sad ! :(

Dave i loved that series. Here's a bit of a spooky tale for you.

Although i've never been to Sheffield every time i watched this programme i felt like i really knew where they were. I also felt deep sadness but couldn't put my finger on the reason why. I felt like i wouldn't dare miss an episode for anything and i was glued to the screen. Then i learned something ! :o

Someone told me only recently that some scenes were set in the Wadsley asylum grounds (middlewood hospital?) and my Gt Grandfather died there in Ocober 1914. No wonder i felt sad ! :(

Interesting reply VaIN

Middlewood Hospital is now no more and it was indeed the hospital for the mentally ill (in historical terms, - an asylum). My grandfather used to live up Hillsborough / Wadsley as a young man and he was a keen footballer, playing professionally for Rotherham United in the late 1920's. He told a story or two about practice games and having a general kick about in Middlewood Hospital Grounds and what some of the patients got up to.

My own knowledge of the northern side of Sheffield is not that good but I am sure there are other members on Sheffield History who will know a lot about this old hospital and will have many tales to tell about its past.

All you need to do is ask

Thanks for your reply Dave, much appreciated.

You must be so proud having your grandad play footie for Rotherham United ! B )Have you researched all of your family ?

I would really like to know if the Wadsley Asylum was a "war hospital" anytime during WW1 ?

Great Grandad John Charles Quinlan was 48 years old so would he have been sent to war and got shell-shock ?

I have his death cert which states he died of "general paralysis over one month" whatever that means.... or maybe a stroke ?

Or was he really a lunatic ? :rolleyes::huh:

Funnily enough his father (another John Quinlan) drowned in Crookes dam in 1897 and the verdict after the coroners report was "an accident" but we have much different tales in the family that suggest it was murder. Apparently he had a horrid cough for years and made a potion which eased it and he was going to patent it . He had a friend who's surname was Owbridge and the tale is that his friend stole the recipe and pushed him into the canal and he drowned because he couldn't swim.

As you know Owbridges Cough medicine was a huge success. lol !

Whether there's any truth in it i dont really know but it does get me thinking. :)

A television series shown in 1999 and part filmed / part set in Sheffield.

Early in the series 2 of a team of scientists are seen talking from a location looking over the city centre.

An episode later, after coming back from London and being trapped in Clay cross tunnel following an earthquake and a gas canister leak which has suspended them in time for several years they finally make it back to Sheffield.

They stand in exactly the same position, overlooking a city which is recognisable as Sheffield but is now in ruins following the earthquake. (not quite sure how they managed to film trhat scene) They are discussing their plight in this situation-

Classdic quote

"OK let me get this right, a meteorite crashes into the middle of Africa and half of bloody Sheffield falls down!"

The tunnel was Dore and Totley. A atomic bomb had dropped on Sheffield, The train was trapped in the tunnel and escaped the fallout etc.

The tunnel was Dore and Totley. A atomic bomb had dropped on Sheffield, The train was trapped in the tunnel and escaped the fallout etc.

The train was coming from London to Sheffield, Midland Mainline route so I assumed it would be Clay Cross tunnel, although I have no idea where it was actually filmed, it could well have been Dore & Totley.

I am fairly sure the "accident" was caused by a meteorite impact on the Earth somewhere in Africa, Britain being devastated by the shock wave. A nuclear attack on Sheffield would have caused far greater devastation of the City than that portrayed in the film, - it would not be a "recognisable ruin" their simply would be hardly anything left standing, - look at some of the pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki after they were attacked with atomic bombs.

Are you sure we are not confusing this with the other Sheffield film - "Threads"?

The train was coming from London to Sheffield, Midland Mainline route so I assumed it would be Clay Cross tunnel, although I have no idea where it was actually filmed, it could well have been Dore & Totley.

I am fairly sure the "accident" was caused by a meteorite impact on the Earth somewhere in Africa, Britain being devastated by the shock wave. A nuclear attack on Sheffield would have caused far greater devastation of the City than that portrayed in the film, - it would not be a "recognisable ruin" their simply would be hardly anything left standing, - look at some of the pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki after they were attacked with atomic bombs.

Are you sure we are not confusing this with the other Sheffield film - "Threads"?

Yes I think you could be right. I remember reading something in the paper about a TV company using Totley tunnel. I could be confusing it with the other film. But in the film I saw I do remember them breaking out of a tunnel and recognising certain parts of Sheffield when they were looking for other signs of life.

Yes I think you could be right. I remember reading something in the paper about a TV company using Totley tunnel. I could be confusing it with the other film. But in the film I saw I do remember them breaking out of a tunnel and recognising certain parts of Sheffield when they were looking for other signs of life.

I am sure the easiest way out of the confusion here would be for the BBC to repeat the entire series. After all it is nearly 10 years old now.

The Last Train, was shown on Sat tv a couple of years ago, but can't remember which channel, sorry.

Thanks Tsavo, haven't heard from you in a while.

If you have watched it more recently than us can you give us the first bit of the storyline on how Sheffield comes to get destroyed?

Crikey, now that's not easy as I only caught the last episode or so. The whole point of them being in a tunnel was that they weren't exposed to light or some similar radiation blast...I think. Will do a bit of research and report back.

Don't read this if you don't to know the plot of The Last Train.

A group of train passengers, including a policeman (Ian Hart) a wanted criminal (Mick Sizer) and an M.O.D. scientist (Harriet Ambrose) are travelling to Sheffield when their train crashes inside a tunnel and a strange gas envelopes them. When they awake, they find that Harriet froze them all so they could survive the giant meteor impact that destroyed the rest of the world. Now, they seem to be the only survivors of the human race in a world overrun with tropical plants and patrolled by packs of man-eating dogs.

Info: The Internet Movie Database.

May not be accurate or complete, but this is the list of the filming locations.

Filming locations for

"The Last Train" (1999)

Derbyshire, England, UK

East Lancs Steam Railway, Bury, Greater Manchester, England, UK

(scenes of survivors emerging from tunnel)

Mayfield Railway Station, Fairfield, Manchester, Greater Manchester, England, UK

('Sheffield Railway Station')

Thorpe Marsh Power Station, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, UK

(exterior)

Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, Wales, UK

Wardle Village, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England, UK

A group of train passengers, including a policeman (Ian Hart) a wanted criminal (Mick Sizer) and an M.O.D. scientist (Harriet Ambrose) are travelling to Sheffield when their train crashes inside a tunnel and a strange gas envelopes them. When they awake, they find that Harriet froze them all so they could survive the giant meteor impact that destroyed the rest of the world. Now, they seem to be the only survivors of the human race in a world overrun with tropical plants and patrolled by packs of man-eating dogs.

No mention of Middlewood Hospital though...!

Interesting reply VaIN

Middlewood Hospital is now no more and it was indeed the hospital for the mentally ill (in historical terms, - an asylum). My grandfather used to live up Hillsborough / Wadsley as a young man and he was a keen footballer, playing professionally for Rotherham United in the late 1920's. He told a story or two about practice games and having a general kick about in Middlewood Hospital Grounds and what some of the patients got up to.

My own knowledge of the northern side of Sheffield is not that good but I am sure there are other members on Sheffield History who will know a lot about this old hospital and will have many tales to tell about its past.

There is a section on Middlewood Hospital on this site. It is now Wadsley Park Village

For more details follow this link

Middlewood Hospital

May not be accurate or complete, but this is the list of the filming locations.

Filming locations for

"The Last Train" (1999)

Derbyshire, England, UK

East Lancs Steam Railway, Bury, Greater Manchester, England, UK

(scenes of survivors emerging from tunnel)

Mayfield Railway Station, Fairfield, Manchester, Greater Manchester, England, UK

('Sheffield Railway Station')

Thorpe Marsh Power Station, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, UK

(exterior)

Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, Wales, UK

Wardle Village, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England, UK

No mention of Middlewood Hospital though...!

Thanks for that Tsavo

Looks like they travelled about a bit to do their locations. the actual tunnel used may not be that local. However, if they were travelling from London to Sheffield then it must be, suposedly at least, Clay Cross rather than Totley.

It does appear to be a meteorite impact rather than an atomic explosion though. to be honest I only knew that by remembering the "classic quote" I give in post #1

"However, if they were travelling from London to Sheffield then it must be, suposedly at least, Clay Cross rather than Totley."

It would be Bradway Tunnel as (1)in the film the guard announces the arrival in Sheffield in a few minutes and (2)of course they have to walk into Sheffield.

The film is on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRRWXeRtto

The tunnel in the film is not local to Sheffield as it is an overhead electrified railway.

PS Bradway Tunnel reopens on the 14th of December after being closed since September.

"However, if they were travelling from London to Sheffield then it must be, suposedly at least, Clay Cross rather than Totley."

It would be Bradway Tunnel as (1)in the film the guard announces the arrival in Sheffield in a few minutes and (2)of course they have to walk into Sheffield.

The film is on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRRWXeRtto

The tunnel in the film is not local to Sheffield as it is an overhead electrified railway.

PS Bradway Tunnel reopens on the 14th of December after being closed since September.

Thanks for the link Dickdioxide, I will have to take a look at that.

I thought the Totley total tunnel was on the Sheffield - Manchester route and not the Sheffield - London.

Can you go to London this way or is it a bit of artistic licence?

"I thought the Totley tunnel was on the Sheffield - Manchester route and not the Sheffield - London."

Totley tunnel is on the Sheffield - Manchester route.

Clay Cross and Bradway tunnels are on the Sheffield - London route (Clay Cross via Derby)and both are about a mile long but Clay Cross is more than 15 miles south of Sheffield while Bradway is less than 5 miles away.

"I thought the Totley tunnel was on the Sheffield - Manchester route and not the Sheffield - London."

Totley tunnel is on the Sheffield - Manchester route.

Clay Cross and Bradway tunnels are on the Sheffield - London route (Clay Cross via Derby)and both are about a mile long but Clay Cross is more than 15 miles south of Sheffield while Bradway is less than 5 miles away.

Ah yes!

I am confusing Totley and Bradway tunnels, that makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Dickdioxide.

Its one of those films that when you've seen it once, not matter how long ago, you dont forget it. I got it on DVD a year or so ago & still haven't managed to watch it all the way through again. I loved the part when Sheffield was in ruins ..that stayed in my mind. Hope I get a couple of hours free before Christmas to get to watch it.

Guest skeets

Interesting reply VaIN

DaveH l don't suppose there is any list of the teams of Rotherham United, an old nieghbour used to say he captained for them in the late twenties his name was Bert Emmet , It was 1935 era when he told me, he also was a stainless steel roller at the Templebor; rolling mills Cheers Skeets.

DaveH l don't suppose there is any list of the teams of Rotherham United, an old nieghbour used to say he captained for them in the late twenties his name was Bert Emmet , It was 1935 era when he told me, he also was a stainless steel roller at the Templebor; rolling mills Cheers Skeets.

There used to be lots of information about old players on the Rotherham United website, www.themillers.co.uk but they seem to have taken it off and only seem interested in "modern" football now and the latest matches.

I got some information about my grandads football days from this site about 3 years ago, if I can find the same section I will do a search for Bert Emmet.