A very British coup

Shown on TV some years ago now it tells the story of a Sheffield MP who becomes the Prime Minister of the new Labour Government after an election landslide following a long run of Conservative Government and the plots which follow to try to bring about the downfall of his new Government.

Classic quote:

The US ambassador to the UK speaking to the President of the USA

"The British Prime Minister says he can't see you on Saturday sir, - he says it something to do with a Sheffield Wednesday"

Guest plain talker

a fantastic programme. I'd love to get it on DVD.

My main memory of the programme was a scene set on the morning of the election victory, Ray Macanally's character, Harry Perkins walks out of one of the flats on the very top floor of what is now Harold Lambert Court, on Hyde Park.

a fantastic programme. I'd love to get it on DVD.

My main memory of the programme was a scene set on the morning of the election victory, Ray Macanally's character, Harry Perkins walks out of one of the flats on the very top floor of what is now Harold Lambert Court, on Hyde Park.

As I remember it, sadly Ray Macanally died shortly after filming this programme and I don't think he was that old.

Guest plain talker

Ray McAnally was 63 when he passed in 1989 (30/03/26 - 15/06/1989) approximately a year after filming "AVBC"

Ray McAnally was 63 when he passed in 1989 (30/03/26 - 15/06/1989) approximately a year after filming "AVBC"

WOW!

Accurate and authoritive information yet again plain talker. I get the impression he was a favourite actor of yours, and yes he did play the lead roll in A Very British Coup excellently.

Guest plain talker

WOW!

Accurate and authoritive information yet again plain talker. I get the impression he was a favourite actor of yours, and yes he did play the lead roll in A Very British Coup excellently.

One of my all-time fave films was "My Left Foot" in which he played Christy Brown's father (Brenda Fricker, IIRC playing CB's mother. and yes I did admie him tremendously, as an actor.

Guest Dave McC

I spent a few days working on this film (as an extra), the election night counting was done at Sheffield City Hall (I was a Conservative supporter watching the count) , there was the big send-off scene at Sheffield Midland Station (I was in the crowd) and then we took a train to London (I was a press photographer). I had a wonderful few days and Ray was a lovely bloke. Great series

Shown on TV some years ago now it tells the story of a Sheffield MP who becomes the Prime Minister of the new Labour Government after an election landslide following a long run of Conservative Government and the plots which follow to try to bring about the downfall of his new Government.

Classic quote:

The US ambassador to the UK speaking to the President of the USA

"The British Prime Minister says he can't see you on Saturday sir, - he says it something to do with a Sheffield Wednesday"

But in the book - wasn't he a Sheffield United supporter! :o

But in the book - wasn't he a Sheffield United supporter! :o

Possibly,

But in the TV programme he had to be a Wednesday man otherwise the gag and punchline wouldn't work would it.

Its a bit like in the Wizarrd of Oz

In Frank Baum's book the witches slippers were silver.

But in the Judy Garland film they were Ruby Red because they wanted to show and exagerate the use of the new Technicolour film process.

After all, only the land of Oz was in colour, good old Kansas was only in Black and White.