Riseing Sun in 1792

Postal Historian

I have a letter addressed to:

"Joseph Chapman, near Whitely Wood.

To be left at the Riseing Sun near Sheffield.

Please to forward this with Speed".

Can anyone identify / locate this inn please?

I have a letter addressed to:

"Joseph Chapman, near Whitely Wood.

To be left at the Riseing Sun near Sheffield.

Please to forward this with Speed".

Can anyone identify / locate this inn please?

At a guess this would be the Rising Sun Public House on Fulwood road at Nether Green, there is also a Rising Sun at Whirlow, but the one at Nether Green is only 10mins walk to Whitley Woods. There was a sanitorium at Whitley Woods plus a number of water mills, can you tell us what the letter relates to?

At a guess this would be the Rising Sun Public House on Fulwood road at Nether Green, there is also a Rising Sun at Whirlow, but the one at Nether Green is only 10mins walk to Whitley Woods. There was a sanitorium at Whitley Woods plus a number of water mills, can you tell us what the letter relates to?

Thanks for responding. The letter is from Joseph's son, John Chapman. It discusses the forestry business and family matters. John was in Stockport. I found a photo of the Nether Green Rising Sun on the Sheffield Archives web site, but the building clearly isn't as old as 1792. Is this a case of re-using the name I wonder?

Welcome to SheffieldHistory !

I don't have any further details to add to this discussion (unfortunately) but would love to see a scan of the envelope/letter if possible. Matter of fact, anything Sheffield Postal related would be great (not your Gas bill obviously) - not just Pubs, the great thing about letters/cards, like Pubs, is that they put a named person in a particular spot at a point in time.

Hope you enjoy your time here with us and that we can help and inspire you and vice versa.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory !

I don't have any further details to add to this discussion (unfortunately) but would love to see a scan of the envelope/letter if possible. Matter of fact, anything Sheffield Postal related would be great (not your Gas bill obviously) - not just Pubs, the great thing about letters/cards, like Pubs, is that they put a named person in a particular spot at a point in time.

Hope you enjoy your time here with us and that we can help and inspire you and vice versa.

Richard - thanks for your posting. I'm afraid that I have so much Sheffield material that it would take an eternity to scan. A couple of us in the Sheffield Philatelic Society are planning a revised edition of the standard book on the subject which is now out of date and out of print. Are you likely to have any info that may be of interest that may add to our collective knowledge?

Richard - thanks for your posting. I'm afraid that I have so much Sheffield material that it would take an eternity to scan. A couple of us in the Sheffield Philatelic Society are planning a revised edition of the standard book on the subject which is now out of date and out of print. Are you likely to have any info that may be of interest that may add to our collective knowledge?

Gosh, there must be some highlights ? Penny Black with a Sheffield postmark ? A 14 dots in the corner versus a 16 dots in the corner Penny Lilac ? Interesting addresses ? 10d embossed pair ? 1929 Postal Union Congress full set including the £1 George & Dragon ... etc etc

Information of interest, dunno, brief pootle about reveals the names and addresses of 126 Postmasters, 78 Postmistress, 2 Post card-related, 278 Post Office entries and 622 named Postmen.