Happy 50th birthday - 1156 !!!

Guest transit

Guest transit

1156 , the preserved Sheffield bus , which many people will have seen at local rallies/fetes ect over the years was 50 years young on Nov 20th ! Busman and i used to spend regular weekends down on Canal Wharf back in 76/77 where it was garaged , just after it was acquired for preservation , itching and burning from head to foot after spending all day painting it with Nitromors (paint stripper) to get rid of the old thick paint which it had gained over the years (happy days!) i am sure Busman has several "interesting" pics! , and i will post some more when i have more time.

This year has seen a major overhaul and a new fresh coat of paint and the photos below were taken just a few weeks ago.....

1156 , the preserved Sheffield bus , which many people will have seen at local rallies/fetes ect over the years was 50 years young on Nov 20th ! Busman and i used to spend regular weekends down on Canal Wharf back in 76/77 where it was garaged , just after it was acquired for preservation , itching and burning from head to foot after spending all day painting it with Nitromors (paint stripper) to get rid of the old thick paint which it had gained over the years (happy days!) i am sure Busman has several "interesting" pics! , and i will post some more when i have more time.

This year has seen a major overhaul and a new fresh coat of paint and the photos below were taken just a few weeks ago.....

As a young lad in the sixties I live next to Leadmill Rd garage, and would spend many a long evening watching the buses come back in after the evening rush hour.

I can not recall these buses with rear doors only open platforms, were there many of them in service in Sheffield and where were the garaged.

Guest bus man

As a young lad in the sixties I live next to Leadmill Rd garage, and would spend many a long evening watching the buses come back in after the evening rush hour.

I can not recall these buses with rear doors only open platforms, were there many of them in service in Sheffield and where were the garaged.

1156 was housed at townhead street and east bank during the 60's, dont think leadmill had any with the rear doors on think the regent v's - like 1330 were at EB I will try and find out

Guest bus man

Sorry but all my photos of 1156 are when in preservation the bus was bought for preservation by the SOES (Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society ) it then passed the to PTE and SYT/First SY

We see 1156 at the transfest festival in leeds with the pte tree loper which had towed a trolley bus to the event

At rotherham show look carefully and you will see a very young transit behind the sales stall in blue

At the now closed norton driving centre during a radio sheffield programme hate to think what transit is doing with the traffic cone !

Next to the west yorkshire pte foden cant remember where this shot was takne it was either locke park at barnsley or at the park in huddersfield

MORE TO FOLLOW

PS my thumbnail shows 1156 comming out of the canal wharfe for its 21st birthday run

Guest bus man

Two shots of 1156 on its 21st Birthday tour

the first one shows the bus leaving canal wharfe where it was kept note the walk through dodges of Proctors transport in the livery of turners news, and the canal sign on the right

The second shows the passangers on the tour SPOT THE TRANSIT

Guest transit

Two shots of 1156 on its 21st Birthday tour

the first one shows the bus leaving canal wharfe where it was kept note the walk through dodges of Proctors transport in the livery of turners news, and the canal sign on the right

The second shows the passangers on the tour SPOT THE TRANSIT

...once again ,thanks Busman !!!!a real "blast from the past" , - nice to see some familier and forgotten faces from nearly 30 years ago! I can just about remember the second one - this was taken in the parking layby on the outside of Herdings Park ? Nice to know us "amateurs" helped in the saving of this vehicle , and we should all feel proud that we played a small part in turning 1156 into the beauty that it is today.

The only time I can remember driving this bus would be around 1965. Service 57 Stocksbridge ran from Bridge Street then, and 1156 was sent down from Townhead Street garage to replace my bus when it failed to start. This bus was used on the Leeds Bradford board, and was quite capable of reaching speeds of over 50 MPH where as its open platform counterparts could just about manage 40.

Guest bus man

I worked as a conductor on this bus during the late 60,s on the leeds bradford board.

By then it would have had the centre pole fitted and the extra bell push on the platform , following the change of policy regarding pasangers pressing the bell

Guest bus man

The only time I can remember driving this bus would be around 1965. Service 57 Stocksbridge ran from Bridge Street then, and 1156 was sent down from Townhead Street garage to replace my bus when it failed to start. This bus was used on the Leeds Bradford board, and was quite capable of reaching speeds of over 50 MPH where as its open platform counterparts could just about manage 40.

Using 1156 on the stocksbridge would have envolved a mileage charge for a C fleet bus on wrong route presumably stocksbridge was a fleet wait a minite was it outside the city boundry in 1965 ?

Using 1156 on the stocksbridge would have envolved a mileage charge for a C fleet bus on wrong route presumably stocksbridge was a fleet wait a minite was it outside the city boundry in 1965 ?

I think Stocksbridge became part of Sheffield in 1974.

Guest bus man

I think Stocksbridge became part of Sheffield in 1974.

I strongly suspect it would have been a B fleet route as it would have been in west riding ?

Guest transit

By then it would have had the centre pole fitted and the extra bell push on the platform , following the change of policy regarding pasangers pressing the bell

....centre pole Busman? Surely on 1156 this would have stopped the platform door opening ,as the door was opened by pushing the middle, and the door slid across from right to left , with pivots along the front of the platform?

Guest bus man

....centre pole Busman? Surely on 1156 this would have stopped the platform door opening ,as the door was opened by pushing the middle, and the door slid across from right to left , with pivots along the front of the platform?

Transit I think you need to see someone regarding your memory:

The centre pole was fitted slightly off centre so the doors could open and they could swing for some time after removed there was a gap in the beading then some one a certain 14 year old ish was given the job of curring another peace and putting it in - wunder who that was

If you remember we also removed the bell push and extra bell sounder that had been fitted to to the platform

Guest transit

Transit I think you need to see someone regarding your memory:

The centre pole was fitted slightly off centre so the doors could open and they could swing for some time after removed there was a gap in the beading then some one a certain 14 year old ish was given the job of curring another peace and putting it in - wunder who that was

If you remember we also removed the bell push and extra bell sounder that had been fitted to to the platform

.....Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're right - as you said , your'e memory does start to go at a certain age , as you well know !!!!!!!! he he

Guest bus man

.....Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're right - as you said , your'e memory does start to go at a certain age , as you well know !!!!!!!! he he

Ok but what is worrying is that you are younger than me.

As mentioned above the extra bell and repeater was put in when the policy regarding public ringing the "One Bell" to stop signall.

Well, at least we all seem to agree on one thing, the memory does start going after the first flush of youth. So dare I ask,---------------any news on the STD National yet? PS, does anyone want to hear the saga of the day myself and T.H. drove 904 to London?

Guest bus man

Well, at least we all seem to agree on one thing, the memory does start going after the first flush of youth. So dare I ask,---------------any news on the STD National yet? PS, does anyone want to hear the saga of the day myself and T.H. drove 904 to London?

No coz it doesnt exist - unless of course you can produce the 1974 buses mag with it in - which no one else as seen , and theres a slight differnce between forgettiing youve taken a hand rail off a bus and put a strip on 25 odd years ago to totaly re writing sheffield transport history <_<<_<<_<<_< :rolleyes:

Guest bus man

We will however have the 904 saga and you can repeat it again when we open the 904 50th birtday thread next year and something for the 2010 874 50thbirthday thread, and the busman 50th birthday thread in the same year and then we get transit 50th birthday thred a few years latter .

Guest transit

....testing your memory again Busman ! - as this has not been mentioned - remember the "spare" bus we acquired for parts ? Ex Sheffield Transport Leyland PD2 , 822 - YWA 822 , open platformed Roe body ? Heres some pics of the work carried out by the "motley crue" back in '76 on the Canal Wharf.....

Guest bus man

....testing your memory again Busman ! - as this has not been mentioned - remember the "spare" bus we acquired for parts ? Ex Sheffield Transport Leyland PD2 , 822 - YWA 822 , open platformed Roe body ? Heres some pics of the work carried out by the "motley crue" back in '76 on the Canal Wharf.....

Various bits of 822 live on in 1156/904 M10 - the cab door on M10 came from 822 various bits are in store awaiting there call for action

The rear emergancey exit - upper deck to 1156 during this years overall was from 822

No coz it doesnt exist - unless of course you can produce the 1974 buses mag with it in - which no one else as seen , and theres a slight differnce between forgettiing youve taken a hand rail off a bus and put a strip on 25 odd years ago to totaly re writing sheffield transport history <_<<_<<_<<_<:rolleyes:
I still say there was a STD National, at least we agree to disagree on that one,so thats a start. Regarding the 904 saga, as I can see me finishing up in trouble if I don`t get it spot on I had better verify everything with the other driver first. All I will say is this, on our return, a Sheffield publication printed a paragraph headed ===SHEFFIELD GROUP DELIVER PETITION IN LONDON BY VINTAGE BUS===, Not true, The nearest we got to London with 904 was LT`s Edgeware garage.

Guest transit

I still say there was a STD National, at least we agree to disagree on that one,so thats a start. Regarding the 904 saga, as I can see me finishing up in trouble if I don`t get it spot on I had better verify everything with the other driver first. All I will say is this, on our return, a Sheffield publication printed a paragraph headed ===SHEFFIELD GROUP DELIVER PETITION IN LONDON BY VINTAGE BUS===, Not true, The nearest we got to London with 904 was LT`s Edgeware garage.

.....all i keep saying , as Busman will agree , JUST SHOW US THE PROOF OF THIS NATIONAL , which you say EXISTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(STILL WAITING 2 MONTHS AFTER YOU ACCEPTED THE CHALLENGE OF PROVING A PHOTO EXISTS!!!???) You can agree/disagree as much as you like - until YOU can prove otherwise ! which you cant ,as PROVED ! he he

Guest transit

Various bits of 822 live on in 1156/904 M10 - the cab door on M10 came from 822 various bits are in store awaiting there call for action

The rear emergancey exit - upper deck to 1156 during this years overall was from 822

...remember the fun and games fitting the rear side destination panel (above the rear door) with your brother!!! We were amazed the blind workings were still in existence ,once we removed the flat sheet !!............

Guest bus man

...remember the fun and games fitting the rear side destination panel (above the rear door) with your brother!!! We were amazed the blind workings were still in existence ,once we removed the flat sheet !!............

Yes we didnt expect to find the bits still there

Whats the single decker next to it is it a BEA coach