Wake

dunsbyowl1867

Out of curiosity I had a look in Rev. W. Odom's Hallamshire Worthies for Bernard Wake, but although several Sheffield lawyers have biographies there, Bernard Wake is not amongst them.

Perhaps because he was a Roman Catholic ?

From Sheffield Records online

1873 Land Owners Index

There were 2 matches

owner address acres roods poles £ s.

Bernard WAKE Pitsmoor 61 1 3 217 18

William WAKE Sheffield 24 - 36 66 8

Guest annebe9554

If I have read this right this is the Grandson of Bernard Wake.

Hello, this is great, thanks for posting the info. Philip Wake is my great, great uncle. My maternal grandmother Edith was his niece. By the way, there were several Bernard Wakes, Bernard was a name that cropped up in every generation of the family.

Hello, this is great, thanks for posting the info. Philip Wake is my great, great uncle. My maternal grandmother Edith was his niece. By the way, there were several Bernard Wakes, Bernard was a name that cropped up in every generation of the family.

Hello and Welcome Annebe9554, hope you get to post lots of questions, we have a variety of knowledgeable people here in all sorts of subjects.

Even if we can't answer your question, we welcome it (and all Sheffield related stuff) and we put in a good effort, the best we can.

If I have read this right this is the Grandson of Bernard Wake.

I am curious to know which book these are from.

Is it 'Sheffield at the opening of the 20th Century'?

Hugh :)

It is. Mr. Wake on page 196.

I'm curious as to how this branch of the family came to be Roman Catholic. According to Alfred Gatty, Bernard Wake attended Ecclesfield parish church for many years before he bought Crowder House, and was a generous benefactor.

It is. Mr. Wake on page 196.

I'm curious as to how this branch of the family came to be Roman Catholic. According to Alfred Gatty, Bernard Wake attended Ecclesfield parish church for many years before he bought Crowder House, and was a generous benefactor.

Not sure about that but I was interested to learn that the Roman Catholic Chuch of St Charles, Attercliffe was dedicated in memory of William Wake's eldest son Charles (whose death is reported in a cutting I posted above.) The land for the Chuch was donated by William Wake with £500 coming from the Duke of Norfolk and a similar amount from Miss Wake and family.

The book I got the picture from is

Edwardian Biography: Sheffield

The book I got the picture from is

Edwardian Biography: Sheffield

You mean this one ?

Dictionary of Edwardian Biography: Sheffield-Reprinted From "Sheffield at the Opening of the Twentieth Century: Contemporary Biographies" by Pike, W. T. Pub. Peter Bell, 1984

The original also has a section by S. O. Addy on the history of Sheffield which includes a number of photographs of the larger houses around Sheffield.

Just out of interest I came across Bernard Wake's signature on will on one of my ancestors.

HI Dunsbyowl . Wqke -Smith was my solicitor in the 50ties , the solicitor who dealt with my stuff was Mr MacKinder, he was an old man in those days, and very nice too , his office was the most untidy place you could imagine ,boxes on every inch of floor space, big bundles of papers tied with string piled high on shelves on every inch of the walls , but he knew where every thing was, he had an oil painting half covered with hangiing bits of paper, hung on the wall, of the founder of the business he told me. So l assume this was the same man. Skeets

HI Dunsbyowl . Wqke -Smith was my solicitor in the 50ties , the solicitor who dealt with my stuff was Mr MacKinder, he was an old man in those days, and very nice too , his office was the most untidy place you could imagine ,boxes on every inch of floor space, big bundles of papers tied with string piled high on shelves on every inch of the walls , but he knew where every thing was, he had an oil painting half covered with hangiing bits of paper, hung on the wall, of the founder of the business he told me. So l assume this was the same man. Skeets

Cheers Skeets - sounds like my office but I can't find anything!! :(

Guest BOXHAMMER

I remember the house as a kid ...It has taken me 40 odd years to find out about the place ...I recall it being quite a scary place , sort of semi derelict but there was always a single light bulb on in a hallway which stopped us going any closer than a few yards ........i was only about 5 yrs old and people told us spooky stories about the house ...perhaps just to keep us out ...

Guest wallace25

Wake Family History - Sheffield

I have recently acquired a large suitcase full of unusual Victorian Sheffield Books - Photographs - Photo Albums - Scrap Books - Postcards from the Wake family

Is this the place to look for a buyer ?

Guest wallace25

Before the arrival of suburbia there were three large properties at Osgathorpe.

Osgathorpe Hills became the De la Salle RC Grammar School on Scott road.

Osgathorpe House was demolished and submerged under the development of Sturton and Gayton roads.

Osgathorpe Cottage, which was much more than a cottage, lasted until about the late 60s/early 70s. An old peoples home now occupies the site.

Osgathorpe Cottage was probably the oldest of the properties, some of the outbuildings looked distinctly Elizabethan in style. The site should really have received some archaeological attention before it was redeveloped as the name suggests it was a homestead long before the Normans arrived.

OSGATHORPE HOUSE & ABBEYFIELD

More details, descriptions please - price - PM me or email SheffieldHistory:gmail.com

I've been known to buy "stuff" ...

OSGATHORPE HOUSE & ABBEYFIELD

On 20/12/2008 at 13:08, dunsbyowl1867 said:

You are indeed correct Dean!

post-513-1229778511_thumb.jpg

Nos. 9, 10 and 11, Pass Houses and Nos 14 and 16, Passhouses Roads18596.jpg.00bb27466fa661222363f61145d47b0c.jpgs18596

Information with the photograph: Passhouses Road, Pitsmoor takes its name from the Pass Houses, originally the farm attached to the Abbeyfield Estate. A Batchelor named Pass was the owner in 1830's. Mr. Mosely became eventual owner of the farm portion.