Wake

dunsbyowl1867

Catholic Preist died 1891

Bernard Wake died of Russian Influenza, of which, more later (I have posted on this before, but got more The Flu-Floppsies Steve and Stuart will no doubt show up with the details, I'm not posting much at the mo).

Bernard Wake died of Russian Influenza, of which, more later (I have posted on this before, but got more The Flu-Floppsies Steve and Stuart will no doubt show up with the details, I'm not posting much at the mo).

The Wakes lived here didn't they. I am not sure if this is the same house as 'Osgathorpe Hills' the home of the Liberal Wilson familiy -You will be pleased to learn this features in the "Sheffield Troublemakers" Book - go on when she's out have a search and peel back the sellotape - always worked when I was a boy!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05292

The Wakes lived here didn't they. I am not sure if this is the same house as 'Osgathorpe Hills' the home of the Liberal Wilson familiy -You will be pleased to learn this features in the "Sheffield Troublemakers" Book - go on when she's out have a search and peel back the sellotape - always worked when I was a boy!

HI There was a ward named Bernard Wake Ward in the old Royal H ospital on West st, would this have been named after this fellow do you think,? had my tonsils out here in 1932 , thats why l remember Skeets.PS I also think looking at your picture of the big house i bet that the scrne is from the rear side of the pool at the corner of Batley St [ late Crabtree Rd]

Before the arrival of suburbia there were three large properties at Osgathorpe.

Osgathorpe Hills became the De la Salle RC Grammar School on Scott road.

Osgathorpe House was demolished and submerged under the development of Sturton and Gayton roads.

Osgathorpe Cottage, which was much more than a cottage, lasted until about the late 60s/early 70s. An old peoples home now occupies the site.

Osgathorpe Cottage was probably the oldest of the properties, some of the outbuildings looked distinctly Elizabethan in style. The site should really have received some archaeological attention before it was redeveloped as the name suggests it was a homestead long before the Normans arrived.

Guest Trefcon

Gramps, i'm from Skipton Road, 45 years. Osgathorpe House's grounds probably extended to where my mothers house is now.

De La Salle's football pitch was my playground when i was a lad, after school time and especially on weekends. They also had a long jump pit which we also enjoyed jumping into!

Now, Osgathorpe cottage!

That was our playground! We knew it as the 'Cottages'. Every year we had a bonfire on there. We were nothing more than little lads, but the whole area use to turn up to see our bonfire, it was huge! Weeks before hand we used to set off to the slum clearances around Petre Street and collect our fire wood. Doors were our favourites, we used to take hammers and wedge them in the hinges and shove the doors shut, straight off they came! We were like ants crawling back up the hill to Osgathorpe with a door on each of our backs. Then we used to make a den out of some of them, 4,5,6, storey's high!

The old house, and all the other buildings, were still there when we started hanging around on there. There was a smell to the old house that i can still 'smell' to this day, a sour, stale smell, god knows what it was!

Then there was the old dovecote, i climbed the stairs one day to the top floor, there were three i think, all covered in dropping's! anyway i walked into a corner of the top floor and went straight through all floors to the bottom without a scratch! There are pictures on Picture Sheffield of the house and the dovecote.

Oh, and there was a gate house we also used to play in, at the top of Devil's Elbow. My dad's pick is in the cellar of this gatehouse, now covered over with Tarmac. What fantastic times we had!

Dean.

PS. I also have stuff on Bernard Wake, but my mate has it at the moment.

The Cannon Hall pub was my local for sixteen years, and i did a bit of research on it in the 90's. Bernard Wake used to live there. I'll post what i have when i get it back.

Thanks deansgirl for all that info.

This is my favourite picture of the 'cottage' http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05797 If you zoom it you can see what a beautiful house it was in 1870. It's odd though that the house faced east with the porch on the south side; at least according to the 1905 plan of the house.

I've always been intrigued with the place and who built or rebuilt it as it appears in that picture, which looks distinctly 17th. century to me.

The smell was probably wet rot, which would account for your rapid descent in the dovecote !! lol Can you recall anyone living there and when the house was finally demolished ?

I would be very interested in your Wake stuff - didn't they also have something to do with Abbeyfield on Burngreave road ?

Guest Trefcon

Hi Gramps,

I cant recall the house being lived in. The gate house i mentioned is actually called the 'lodge' on your plan. About 20 yards of the road/track leading from the lodge to the house still remains, but you literally hit a brick wall after the 20 yards now. A substantial gate post remains though. Timescale wise, the house was still there in the early seventies which ties with your recollections. We moved to Smiths Field about 1975 for our bonfires. Again they were very successful. A youth leader called Bill Horrocks got us a band to play one year. We'd never heard of them, they went by the name of Def Leopard!! I'll never forget the woman breast feeding her child in front of the band as they played! I also remember watching the giant 'Grading' machines digging out the football pitch for Whiteways school just beyond Osgathorpe cottage, they went down about 50' at one end! I'll try and get some pics of whats left and post them when i go and see my mother. The dovecote was on the 'elbow' of the range of buildings to the left of the house on your plan.

Will post the Wake/Cannon Hall stuff when i get it back.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Here with pics as promised.

Looking at Gramps plan on post 9, this is the site of the Lodge today, for Osgathorpe Cottage.

Guest Trefcon

Back to post 9 and Gramps plan again, these 'Tudor' style houses now stand on the right hand bank of the large 'lake' that can be seen in the grounds of Osgathorpe House. This is now Sturton Road.

Thanks deansgirl for all that info.

This is my favourite picture of the 'cottage' http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05797 If you zoom it you can see what a beautiful house it was in 1870. It's odd though that the house faced east with the porch on the south side; at least according to the 1905 plan of the house.

I've always been intrigued with the place and who built or rebuilt it as it appears in that picture, which looks distinctly 17th. century to me.

The smell was probably wet rot, which would account for your rapid descent in the dovecote !! lol Can you recall anyone living there and when the house was finally demolished ?

I would be very interested in your Wake stuff - didn't they also have something to do with Abbeyfield on Burngreave road ?

All excellent & facinating stuff - my dad went to De La Salle - hence my interest

I have read that Bernard Wake lived at what is now called Abbeyfield House but was originally called Pitsmoor Abbey (hence Abbeyfield) - there is no evidence of any religios connection!

All excellent & facinating stuff - my dad went to De La Salle - hence my interest

I have read that Bernard Wake lived at what is now called Abbeyfield House but was originally called Pitsmoor Abbey (hence Abbeyfield) - there is no evidence of any religios connection!

Sheffield Museums

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresi...ouseAndPark.asp

from Wikipedia

Wealthy residents

Despite this grim picture of development, the higher part of Burngreave was far enough away from the noise and pollution to remain popular with Sheffields industrialists and professional classes. Abbeyfield House was built during the 1840s. Originally called Pitsmoor Abbey, it first belonged to William Pass, the owner of a local colliery. Then the house was bought by a solicitor, Bernard Wake, who turned it into the family home. He altered the house greatly, adding a sundial, conservatory, greenhouses, a tennis court and outhouses. The gardens were redesigned and a boating lake created

Thanks for that info.

William Pass is perhaps more interesting than Bernard Wake. In fact the house known as Pitsmoor Abbey seems to have been there some time before 1840, - it is shown but not named on Tayler's map of 1832.

His colliery and what may have been other property he owned, known as Pass Houses, are shown on the 1850s OS map.

Do we know which of the three houses at Osgathorpe belonged to Bernard Wake ?

The 1832 map is the top one.

Thanks for that info.

William Pass is perhaps more interesting than Bernard Wake. In fact the house known as Pitsmoor Abbey seems to have been there some time before 1840, - it is shown but not named on Tayler's map of 1832.

His colliery and what may have been other property he owned, known as Pass Houses, are shown on the 1850s OS map.

Do we know which of the three houses at Osgathorpe belonged to Bernard Wake ?

The 1832 map is on the left.

I have seen numerous dates for the building of Pitsmoor Abbey between 1795 and 1850!

Great Map of 1832 Gramps. One of the press cuttings above states that Bernard Wake lived at Osgathorpe Houe.

I have seen numerous dates for the building of Pitsmoor Abbey between 1795 and 1850!

Great Map of 1832 Gramps. One of the press cuttings above states that Bernard Wake lived at Osgathorpe Houe.

The house isn't there on Fairbank's 1795 map although there is what looks like a farm in the plot between the site and the road. Pass houses are shown on the little lane leading to Osgathorpe Hills, it seems likely that's where Pass lived at that time.

I'm wondering if Pass bought the farm to gain access to the coal and decided to built himself a new house on a plot of his newly aquired land. He will have needed to use the lane past the house to get his machinery down to the engine shed shown on the 1850s map. This was probably a steam driven pump for drainage as the colliery looks to have been a drift mine started from Grimesthorpe road.

There is a later map by Fairbank - 1818 I think. The only copy that can be found is in Sheffield Archives but it is in too poor a state to be copied. I did photograph parts of it but that wasn't very successful.

Guest Trefcon

I can remember the cottages on Pass Houses road, i also remember losing a shoe in a scuffle with another lad from Firs Hill school on the pile of rubble that was left when they were demolished! Mother went mad!

I dont know where i got this from but in my head i have it that the cottages were miners cottages built by Pass?

I dont know where i got this from but in my head i have it that the cottages were miners cottages built by Pass?

Quite likely. there is a photo of them here...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s18596

Should awaken some memories ? :)

It was quite common in the late 18th./early 19th. century for colliery owners to provide accommodation for their workers, although nominal rents were deducted from their wages.

I can remember the cottages on Pass Houses road, i also remember losing a shoe in a scuffle with another lad from Firs Hill school on the pile of rubble that was left when they were demolished! Mother went mad!

You are indeed correct Dean!