Newspapers 17th-19th Century

RichardB

Thanks to Deansgirl for the initial "heads-up", here's a brief "How to ..."

http://find.galegroup.com/menu/commonmenu....pName=britlibtr

Go there, choose 19th Century British Library, 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection or British Newspapers 1600-1900 Newspapers

The password, if prompted, is british

At the search screen (in the Find box) type Sheffield

Pressing Search at this point gives over 400,000 results !

Instead search for

sheffield +keyword

e.g. sheffield +murder

or

sheffield +gas (gives 465 hits) or

sheffield +tram

sheffield +water

endless possibilities

or

ecclesall (gives 556 hits) ecclesall + murder gives 1 hit

ecclesfield - gives 886 hits,

ecclesfield +murder - gives a more manageable 2 hits

I've not tried "Hallamshire", "Bierlow", "Pitts Moor", "Wadsley" etc etc - plenty of room for millions of different searches. Please let us know what you have been looking for, may give us all some fresh ideas & post your findings in the appropriate areas (I've not even had time to read the Murders yet !) cuz we all like a good read. Right click on the image and save to your computer' it's a good idea to put the date into the filename otherwise you end up with loads of images and no idea what date they all relate to (been there, done that).

If you intend to research a big topic area, please PM me, we may be able to raise some experienced volunteers to help (basically, I've extracted the Murders/Suicides as best I could but Steve and Stuart have actually edited the images and done the posting on my behalf).

Good Luck, hope to see tons and tons of postings while this resource is available to us.

I have had a go with this and whilst it does give hits, there does not appear to be any Sheffield newspapers in any of the 3 collections.

I have had a go with this and whilst it does give hits, there does not appear to be any Sheffield newspapers in any of the 3 collections.

That's true and it doesn't matter one jot. The same news is printed again and again in whichever newspaper, you're as likely to see stories about Sheffield in the Derby or Hull newspapers as in the London newspapers. All the Murders, Suicides and the upcoming Charlie Peace and Spence Broughton postings are from this source.

While it would be great to see the Register or Iris or whatever on there, we have to be thankful that anything like this is available - I assume it costs a fortune to digitise this stuff.

Don't be put off - there's plenty of Sheffield material on there - just might be in the Bristol newspaper !

Richard, the 'Scotsman' online digital site is free at the moment ! 2,000 hits for Sheffield !

I'll get mi' coat!

A mere 2,000 hits ! With a willing team of volunteers we could have the lot of them !! <Hint><Hint>

You got a link for The Scotsman please ?

Volunteers, form an orderly queue and PM me.

Guest Trefcon

Stand down everyone, i have just checked my source and the 'Glitch' has been now fixed! So no free acess i'm afriad.

Dean.

I don't seem to be able to access this any longer - anybody else?

Yes, same problem

seems to be either down or access changed

You can access the newspaper library for free by joining Lancashire Library

As soon as you join you are given a temporary membership number to access online services. My library card and welcome pack arrived within a week. There are some excellent online services.

It doesn't matter where you live, anyone can join. Give it a go. Sheffield Library, how about it?