Leonard Buckley

POPPYCHRISTINA

I do not know whether people are interested in this sort of thing but I have lots of information about my uncle who was a prisoner of war.

I will be posting letters etc over the next few weeks if thats all right. Anyway ,here goes.

.Quite a handsome lad before the war.

Gunner 1831119 Royal Artillery,(LAA).

Len was a motorbike Despatch rider. He had his motorbike shot from under him and was captured by the Italians.

At the most basic level, it is Sheffield, it is history and it is Wartime - so, great, yes, of course we're interested. Keep them coming.

and Thank You.

Len was a motorbike Despatch rider. He had his motorbike shot from under him and was captured by the Italians.

Great stuff Pop -the things these young people had to go through.

I bet the Italians must have been facinated to see the forward gears on his motor bike. he he

Interesting stuff Poppy, I'm looking forward to reading more. Please keep it coming as it all helps to preserve the history of ordinary Sheffielders.

A letter from The Red Cross Re Len,s welfare. The army today do not seem to take this sort of trouble about men in Iraq .The whole era seemed a nicer time even though we were at war. People seemed to have the time for individuals .

Len even had money to spend in the Italian Co-Op.

It must have been very difficult to get letters to and from Italy during the war.

By this time Len was in Hospital.

Guest laura buckley

WOW! i learned today that len was my great uncle. Thanx for the posts there really interesting... more please!!

A brilliant post. Makes those of us who have never had to go to war, remember the great sacrifice these youg men gave, for our generation.