Last new STD buses?

Waterside Echo

The Leyland National`s, numbers 1,2,3,&4. Were they the last new buses delivered to enter service in the STD livery? I seem to think they were `M`reg along with Daimler Fleetline`s 751-780.

Guest transit

The Leyland National`s, numbers 1,2,3,&4. Were they the last new buses delivered to enter service in the STD livery? I seem to think they were `M`reg along with Daimler Fleetline`s 751-780.

.......1/2 right ! the Nationals 1-4 were the first buses delivered in the "new" South Yorkshire PTE colours ,albeit in the short lived pale biscuit and cream with green fleetname , before adopting the revised colour of coffee and cream and "flying -duck" fleetname. (pic 1)

The "m" reg fleetlines were the last buses to be delivered in the Sheffield colours - most of which used the "videmat" ticket machine! - Bus 754 is preserved at Sandtoft and gives rides throughout the summer open days -(still with the "videmat!) pic 2......

.......1/2 right ! the Nationals 1-4 were the first buses delivered in the "new" South Yorkshire PTE colours ,albeit in the short lived pale biscuit and cream with green fleetname , before adopting the revised colour of coffee and cream and "flying -duck" fleetname. (pic 1)

The "m" reg fleetlines were the last buses to be delivered in the Sheffield colours - most of which used the "videmat" ticket machine! - Bus 754 is preserved at Sandtoft and gives rides throughout the summer open days -(still with the "videmat!) pic 2......

Hi `transit` thanks for that. I would have put money on the fact that at least one National was delivered in STD Livery, and was in service for just a few weeks before it was re-painted in the new PTE colours. The memory has started playing tricks on me now, [ all those slices of bread and dripping in Percy`s tea wagon! ].

What was this all about then...

Well, the advanced engineering department [playschool] at Queens Road having developed the Kneeling National were known to be working on something to compete with Supertram. One of their ideas was the `Ducking Decker`, it had two upper decks that would consertina to half hight for low bridges etc. A temporary licence enabled the `Ducker` to enter service, but on the first test run it was found that some passengers on the upper decks were a little slow in crouching down when the bus started ducking, leading to disastrous results. After a short time[and a few shorter passengers] the experiment was abandoned. If that was the bus in `syrup`s `photo it could have been taken just after it had been impounded by the ministry men.

This is the foot note and a link to the site..

During the low fares period of the 1970's overcrowding on buses could be a problem. Although the PTE finally settled on high capacity articulated buses other solutions had been previously tried but amongst other problems the number of low railway bridges within the city limited the use of certain prototypes to just a few routes reducing their effectiveness. This heavily modified 1969 Park Royal Atlantean can be seen in this view of Harmer Lane outside the now demolished sheaf valley swimming baths. Perhaps they should revive the idea to make Harry Potter feel at home if he comes to South Yorkshire on a promotional tour for his third film Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which features a triple decker London RT Bus.

http://www.pearlgifts.bizland.com/stange_pictures.html

Guest plain talker

checks date...

No, it's not April the first already?

*Puzzled, PT scratches head*

Guest transit

Photoshop?

Can't be real, surely??

....thankfully not - how would it have got under all the Sheffield bridges???? lol

Guest bus man

754 ent service 23rd Nov 1973 this is factual as I have spent the afternoon in the archieves at central library

Dumb Bus related question, if I got on the No. 32 outside Walkley Library and got off at the terminus at Hillsborough (near the Baths), what road did I get off ? Then where would I have got on the No. 17, did that take me to Chaucer School ? or did I get that wrong.

Sorry it's not a proper Bus question, I'd just like confirmation of the route.

Ta.

Guest bus man

Dumb Bus related question, if I got on the No. 32 outside Walkley Library and got off at the terminus at Hillsborough (near the Baths), what road did I get off ? Then where would I have got on the No. 17, did that take me to Chaucer School ? or did I get that wrong.

Ta.

Can you give me a year aprox

Ta.

If you made that journey today, the bus form Walkley Library to Hillsborough would be the 31, which would drop you at either Forbes Road or Hillsborough Interchange. The 17 would take you from somewhere nearby (can't think where the northbound stops are) to somewhere near to Chaucer School (on Deerlands Avenue). There might be other buses which connect Hillsborough with the Chaucer area, but from this distance it is difficult to keep up with all the changes to services in Sheffield.

Looking back to the mid-70s, bus no 31 would have taken you to Forbes Road, where the 17 started on it's long journey to Millhouses and Totley Brook via the rest of Sheffield (almost!).

In the intervening years there have been many changes to the 31, including a variant numbered 32, combining it with the 63 to make a through service form Birley (using double-deckers!) and currently a variant known as 31A.