The Sicey

Sheffield History

THE SICEY

Sicey Avenue

Shiregreen

Sheffield

S5 0RN

INFORMATION

The famous Sicey has been demolished this weekend to make way for new building developments.

Most Sheffielders have heard of the place and quite a few have enjoyed meals there (used to be a place where you were took as a treat years go) before it started to go downhill.

In February 2005, Two men burst into the Sicey Hotel in Shiregreen on Tuesday evening and fired shots towards the bar

As the place was demolished this weekend a crowd of onlookers stood and watched in silence as if at a funeral..

The Sicey was the first pub I drank in as a young teenager. Itquickly became my local. This was before there was a resteraunt there. When the renovation was carried out in 1975 and the the resteraunt was about to open I approached the landlord Pete Gleadhall and asked if they were going to do weddings as mine was on the horizon. He said he hadn't though about it but was willing to give it a try. So we were the first couple to have a wedding reception there and must say they did us proud. So the news of the demoition is a double whammy.not only is a piece of Sheffield history disappearing but also a perrsonal one

Guest sheffsteel

I went to the Sicey restaurant in the early 80's.

Believe it or not it seemed very posh.

The restaurant was unique for its novelty decor.

All the tables were postioned in their own little alcoves or mock wigwam tents.

The restaurant could be totally full of people but you had almost total privacy and

would struggle to see anyone else in the restaurant.

I also remember there was a mock roof with slates around the ceiling coving

and there was a stuffed pigeon and even pidgeon muck on the slates for authenticity.

It was like going to a themed restaurant that you get in Orlando, Florida

Yeah we used to go here in the mid/late 80's i think it was cos me dad was bit money shy & could get me and me sister a cheap mr men meal which normally consisted of baked beans chips a burger n 200 weight of red sauce,salt & vinegar "cos all of that stuff was obviously free"then to finish off we some big ice cream,eat your heart out jamie oliver cos eatin like that never did my 38stone frame any damage

Here is a picture of it when it was just a pub. The low building to the left was the school canteen for Hatfield House Lane Secondary.

I used to go to The Sicey a lot in the late 80's and early 90's. I live out of Sheffield and found it a great place to eat when visiting family. I remember it was a "Beefeater". It was within walking distance of our house on Hinde House Lane so I could have a good drink with the meal and roll home down the hill !

Sad its been demolished - is that progress ?

The TSB which was next door was where my school bank account was when I was at Hinde House School I think.

Blimey I used to go there with a girlfriend back in the mid eighties...its right its one of those places you went to as it was a bit 'posh'.

Became a bit of a hell hole in later years....as did much of lane top sadly :(

Excuse my ignorance, the Sicey doesn't figure on my "list of Pubs", anyone know when it was built and what date it "gave up the ghost" ?

My list only goes up to about 1925.

Do not know the history of the pub (only my drinking history in there from a very young age) but it full name was "The Sicey Hotel". Maybe you can find something out under that name.

Do not know the history of the pub (only my drinking history in there from a very young age) but it full name was "The Sicey Hotel". Maybe you can find something out under that name.

Hi mickjj You took the very words from my mouth, With the exception i never went in until i left school but i spent the occasional lunchtime in Afferties AKA The Horse Shoe until we got caught by two teachers luckily they should not have been there either.

That is funny Syrup, before the big renovation at the Sicey we would go in the "Snug" at lunchtime and most of the teachers were in the "Lounge" on the other side of the bar. We would be getting servrd on one side facing the teachers on the other. They never ever said anything in fact a couple of them would nod at us. Another teacher story was when I went to enroll at the WMC you needed two members to support you. I only had a mate of mine but my PE teacher was on't commitee so he cosigned. Iwas only 15 at the time and was still in his class lol

Sicey Green Hotel, 416 Sicey Avenue, S5, Bernard Henry Garnett, 1951

Better late than never ... and a different take on the name too !

Ooops, almost forgot ....

Sicey Hotel, Sicey Avenue, S5, J W Love, 1951

so there were 2 Sicey's ?

I went there once for a meal too.

Was all right as it goes..the ice cream thingy came in a bowl which was the same size as the bucket I use to wash the car!!

Being the pudding hero I am I managed it all!!

Sicey Green Hotel, 416 Sicey Avenue, S5, Bernard Henry Garnett, 1951

Better late than never ... and a different take on the name too !

Ooops, almost forgot ....

Sicey Hotel, Sicey Avenue, S5, J W Love, 1951

so there were 2 Sicey's ?

Hi RichardB Sorry to have to correct you but the Shiregreen Hotel is at 416 Sicey Avenue S5 0EN.

Hi RichardB Sorry to have to correct you but the Shiregreen Hotel is at 416 Sicey Avenue S5 0EN.

You correct me all you like, especially if you are right and I'm wrong lol

Same applies to all Pub postings, there are duplicates I haven't spotted yet, anyone spots one, or something blatently wrong, let me know. Too busy hunting, transcribing to do much quality checking, that's where you come in. I'd like to get the definitive list published here within a couple of months. Then we can all rip it to bits !

Well spotted, and Thank You for the input.

I'm still confused why the Sicey is listed twice. Here's Neddy's 1948 Trade Directory entries :

Sicey Green Hotel, Bernard Garnett, 416 Sicet Avenue, S5

and Sicey Hotel, Thomas Robert Dobing, Sicey Avenue, S5

?

Guest jesse

i was the last landlady at the sicey we had some bad times but the great nights we had made up for it the sicey should never have been pulled down if the pub companies supported their tennents more people like myself and my husband who love the pub trade wouldnot be leaving all i can see is that these supposed pub cos are really property developers who i think are modern day wee pipe turpinsat least he wore a mask

I'm still confused why the Sicey is listed twice. Here's Neddy's 1948 Trade Directory entries :

Sicey Green Hotel, Bernard Garnett, 416 Sicet Avenue, S5

and Sicey Hotel, Thomas Robert Dobing, Sicey Avenue, S5

?

Misprint in 1948 dir.?

416 Sicey Avenue-- SHIREGREEN HOTEL-- 1963 Directory

Sicey Hotel comes under No.152

Packham Chas Kenneth (j) cutler--

Sicey Hotel ( Thomas Rbt. Dobing )

154 Crookes Jn. Wm. labourer

"The Sicey" Sorry its no longer there, that Pub played a big part in my life, where do I start?

Well when I was in my early teens about 1963 ,my Mum worked at Gibbons fish and chip shop on Nethershire lane shops, most nights when she got home, she would always have a story to tell about the nights events. One particular night Mum came home smiling saying, "guess who's eating Gibbons fish and chips tonight?" who I said ,Mum replied "Morecambe and Wise" I was amazed!!

Apparentley the Landlord of the Sicey Hotel was a regular customer of mums, and he was also a Agent for Entertainers, and on occasions his artists would stay overnight at the Sicey, this particular night he was on his way home from the Greasboro WMC, he rushed into the shop for fish and chips 3 times,he said can you be quick Peggy as I've got"Morecambe and Wise"waiting in the Car :o , Mum thought he was fibbing, but she said they waved from the car when he set off. Well Mum said one was wearing glasses and the other was short, anyway its one of those stories that has stuck with me all these years.

The Sicey came into my life again 2 years later, when my Grandma got remarried,I went to the reception at the Sicey, there my uncle Edgar who arrived in his 3 wheeled motorised invalid car(he had a wooden leg) , proceeded to get blotto, and had to be physically restrained from driving home in his 3 wheeler he he .

The "Sicey" surfaced again quite a few times later in my life, this time it was in the 70s/80s, I ended up Delivering the Beer, when I worked for Whitbreads as a Drayman.

I saw a few Landlords over the years, but only one name stands out, Pete Gleadhall I can't remember the year , but I remember he went from the Sicey to the "Plough" at "Low Bradfield".

Well hope I haven't bored you all, best regards Steve

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a picture of The Sicey Pub on Hatfield House Lane to use on my blog www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com

Please message me if you can help.

Cheers

Dodger

Only just spotted this. I was a regular in the Sicey’s Thursday live pop music night in the large Concert Room from around 1961 until I married in 1965I .

It was a family pub and many of my wider family could be found in the Lounge at weekends having a quiet pint ,or two ,and the ladies a Babycham or CherryB …..and then  a quick walk across the road to the chippy *for a bag  of chips and, maybe a fish to eat on the walk home!( fish and chips weren’t allowed on buses)

The conversion of most of the lounge area into a fish restaurant changed life for many…who wanted a pub and not a trendy eating house. Personally, I enjoyed eating in the restaurant.

The pub was opened, I understand, just before the outbreak of War in 1939 and was named after Sicey Smith a sometime local farmer before Shiregreen  estate was built.

* Steve GB 10….the chippy wasn’t Gibbons…but I knew their daughter and son ,who was tragically killed in an RAF Shackleton  crash over Lake Ontario ,at an air display.