Last Tram Week - Decoration

Sheffield History

On 18/09/2011 at 06:28, bus man said:

Sorry if this is repeated :

Think the horse tram was used twice

1946 for the jubillee of the transport dept sorry if this date slightly out

then on the moor after the trams had gone

There is video of both the first one shows it been tried outside midland station the second one is onthe moor - not sure of how to get hold of the films at this moment in time

It was 11th July 1946, according to Chas C Hall in Sheffield Transport, the horse tram covering quite a large area of the City Centre on that occasion. Part of the 1946 film can be seen at the Yorkshire Film Archive. I think it has been mentioned on Sheffield History before, but here is the link anyway, as it is well worth watching:

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/horse-drawn-tram-and-ibberson-family

Not found the 1961 film yet. It was on You Tube at one point, but has now vanished :(, so I still haven't seen it.

Edit, April 2020: broken link repaired

I've got it WE. I copied it to HD Recorder but, if I remember rightly, when I copied the other one for you it wouldn't play on your machine.

I'll drop the video off at your place next week.

Thanks 'vox' I will get the kettle on. W/E.

From what I have been told it is a brown horse with a white face mark if that is any help. NOT a white horse

Brown horse wIth the white face mark on The Moor, white horse at Critch. Thankyou 'vox' W/E.

Guest japeflakes

So, the horse colour is confirmed as BROWN with a white "T" shaped face marking

Used December 1961 on the Moor, Sheffield.

The horse owner (now 87) is looking for a good picture of his MUCH loved animal on The Moor.

Horse called FLOWER.

His friends would love to present him with a good picture of this animal ASAP as he has been in better health.

Thank you for all the previous posts. Keep them coming

This video was made for SYT in the 80s and as far as I am aware was made available to their staff only. If I remember rightly it shows Alderman Dyson with all the civic dignitaries on board tram 15 traveling up The Moor, the horse was white and was being lead by its owner. W/E.

The video was issued by SYT it was origionaly made by sheffield council the video was on sale in the sales shops it was not restricted to staff.

Latter on the sheffield bus musuem trust reissued it again with a i think 4 "films " on it including town and courntry tour, beachief to sheffield lane top and old number 15 cant remember what the fouth was

So, the horse colour is confirmed as BROWN with a white "T" shaped face marking

Used December 1961 on the Moor, Sheffield.

The horse owner (now 87) is looking for a good picture of his MUCH loved animal on The Moor.

Horse called FLOWER.

His friends would love to present him with a good picture of this animal ASAP as he has been in better health.

Thank you for all the previous posts. Keep them coming

I have just had the video of "flower" on The Moor returned. Send me a PM as you are more than welcome to borrow it. W/E.

The video was issued by SYT it was origionaly made by sheffield council the video was on sale in the sales shops it was not restricted to staff.

Latter on the sheffield bus musuem trust reissued it again with a i think 4 "films " on it including town and courntry tour, beachief to sheffield lane top and old number 15 cant remember what the fouth was

The other was Meadowhead to Sheffield Lane Top W/E.

This might not be what we are looking for: in the photo I referred to earlier the horse is definitely not white.

Got the video back now, promised it to Flowers owner first, when I get it back if I send it you, you may be able to post it on here as I have no idea how to. W/E.

Could this be "Flower" ....... the quality is not very good but the quality is a little better on the DVD that I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEuGI4q3Ug

Could this be "Flower" ....... the quality is not very good but the quality is a little better on the DVD that I have.

Yes thats the same horse as on my video clip, its a bit longer and a lot clearer than my copy and must have been taken by a different person as the shots are from a different angle. W/E.

Guest japeflakes

WE. Keep trying to send you pm but failed.

Might be repeating myself here but please can I obtain a copy of your video? Not sure how to do this but can it be posted like the other one. Do hope this is not causing you problems but I am certain the elderly hore owner will be OVER JOYED at all your efforts. Perhaps dr stanley culd tell you how to do it if that helps and you don't mind

Excellent work!

Is it OK to copy the video and if so how!

I've got that one on my computer. I'm attaching the file but I don't know if it will upload

---------------------------------

Tried and failed

It is an FLV file Apparently we can't upload this type of file.

It is about 6 meg

I could email it to you if you PM your address.

If you want to copy it from Youtube there's a free Youtube downloader called Any Video Converter.

Any Video Converter

WE. Keep trying to send you pm but failed.

Might be repeating myself here but please can I obtain a copy of your video? Not sure how to do this but can it be posted like the other one. Do hope this is not causing you problems but I am certain the elderly hore owner will be OVER JOYED at all your efforts. Perhaps dr stanley culd tell you how to do it if that helps and you don't mind

Japeflakes ...... I am sending you a private message regards the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEuGI4q3Ug

That is definitely the same event as the photograph I have seen in Tramway Review and the photos on Picture Sheffield which I linked to earlier in the thread.

It is from "100 Years of Sheffield Trams", made by Online Video. I think an extended version of the video is available on DVD, although the title is different.:

http://www.onlinevideo.me.uk/index.php?page=catalogueTR1

I am ashamed to say that I have this in my collection and have no recollection of the horse tram sequence :huh:. I haven't watched it for a long time as it is a video (that's my excuse!)

Not the Last Tram week, that was 14 months earlier, October 1960.

I think the tram (no.15) was displayed on a plinth near what was to become Arundel Gate during the illuminations, and taken to the bottom of the Moor for the horse to trundle it up and down.

No. 15 was built in 1874 for the Brightside route and survived by being mounted on an electric truck and used to tow tram trucks between Nether Edge and Tinsley.

It is still in use at Crich, normally runs about 6 days a year pulled by a hired in horse named Joseph, obviously not this year though!

Nigel L

• Like 1

On 24/06/2021 at 22:18, Lemmy117 said:

Not the Last Tram week, that was 14 months earlier, October 1960.

I think the tram (no.15) was displayed on a plinth near what was to become Arundel Gate during the illuminations,

Yes, I remember seeing it on display at (from memory) the top end of The Moor).