Last Tram Week - Decoration

Sheffield History

Guest transit

Yes, Beauchief Terminus there are houses above the level of the track, can just make out Beauchief Telephone Exchange in the left background

...for those who hav'nt heard (read) already ! - my wife's grandad was the signwriter who painted the" Roberts " Last Trams - 510 & 513 !!!!!!!!! both of which are still around !!!!!

...for those who hav'nt heard (read) already ! - my wife's grandad was the signwriter who painted the" Roberts " Last Trams - 510 & 513 !!!!!!!!! both of which are still around !!!!!

and can be seen here transit...

looking rather unloved at the moment :(

Guest transit

....heres pics of grandad -in- law Ron Hughes, when painting the trams (this one being 513) 50 years ago !!!!!!! .......

here on the left....

....heres pics of grandad -in- law Ron Hughes, when painting the trams (this one being 513) 50 years ago !!!!!!! .......

here on the left....

excellent pics transit!

Guest japeflakes

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but:

I am indirect contact with an old gentleman who used to own a horse called "Flower" which he says was used in the last tram week in Sheffield to pull a tram. He would really, really like a picture of this horse as he does not have one and he thought the world of it. If anyone has a photo, or knows where I can get one, it would make him VERY happy. Thanks in advance....

That's some task ! What colour was it please ? What area of Sheffield ?

I am indirect contact with an old gentleman who used to own a horse called "Flower" which he says was used in the last tram week in Sheffield to pull a tram. He would really, really like a picture of this horse as he does not have one and he thought the world of it. If anyone has a photo, or knows where I can get one, it would make him VERY happy. Thanks in advance....

Guest japeflakes

Thanks for reply: Slight correction. We think the date was Sunday 3rd Dec 1961 (as he is certain was 1961) on The Moor. Not sure about the colour, and as I said, only indirect contact BUT will find out for you (but will be at least a week)

According to the magazine Tramway Review, Issue No 227, September 2011, horse tram 15 was used for about two hours from 10am on 3rd December 1961, running at the bottom of The Moor from Ellin Street to Fitzwilliam Gate, with one longer trip to Rockingham Street with a civic party.

There is a fine photograph of the horse and tram on page 313 of the magazine, taken by Richard Wiseman.

EDIT

Comparing the photo mentioned above with this one from Picture Sheffield, I think that the latter is the event you mention, although the details suggest it is 1950. The two people in period dress on the tram platform are the same in both photographs.

ANOTHER EDIT

Another photo from Picture Sheffield of the same event.

Thanks for reply: Slight correction. We think the date was Sunday 3rd Dec 1961 (as he is certain was 1961) on The Moor. Not sure about the colour, and as I said, only indirect contact BUT will find out for you (but will be at least a week)

There is footage of the horse and tram on a SYT video released in the 1980s,

Guest japeflakes

There is footage of the horse and tram on a SYT video released in the 1980s,

Could you post a link to this please. The only one I found like that had the video removed by the owner. Thanks for post though :-)

Guest japeflakes

According to the magazine Tramway Review, Issue No 227, September 2011, horse tram 15 was used for about two hours from 10am on 3rd December 1961, running at the bottom of The Moor from Ellin Street to Fitzwilliam Gate, with one longer trip to Rockingham Street with a civic party.

There is a fine photograph of the horse and tram on page 313 of the magazine, taken by Richard Wiseman.

EDIT

Comparing the photo mentioned above with this one from Picture Sheffield, I think that the latter is the event you mention, although the details suggest it is 1950. The two people in period dress on the tram platform are the same in both photographs.

ANOTHER EDIT

Another photo from Picture Sheffield of the same event.

Without breaking any rules is it possible to see the first picture you mention.? If it is the correct one (from 1961) I am sure this could be taken further. MANY thanks for help...

Could you post a link to this please. The only one I found like that had the video removed by the owner. Thanks for post though :-)

The video is not in my possession at the moment. It is called The Changing Scene, it comprises of 4 short films. Two of tram journeys from Meadowhead to Sheffield Lane Top, and Millhouses to Weedon Street. The horse and tram number 15 in 1961 on The Moor, then later at Critch. The last being one of the popular bus tours of Derbyshire. W/E.

Guest japeflakes

The video is not in my possession at the moment. It is called The Changing Scene, it comprises of 4 short films. Two of tram journeys from Meadowhead to Sheffield Lane Top, and Millhouses to Weedon Street. The horse and tram number 15 in 1961 on The Moor, then later at Critch. The last being one of the popular bus tours of Derbyshire. W/E.

Now we seem to be getting somewhere. Anyone know the number for the video and where it can be bought?

Now we seem to be getting somewhere. Anyone know the number for the video and where it can be bought?

It would appear to be available on ebay as part of a longer DVD presentation

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2064-Leeds-and-Sheffield-UK-Trams-1957-60-Archive_W0QQitemZ370467784464QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SILF:GB:102

Might have to get a copy, as I don't recall the film at all.

This video was made for SYT in the 80s and as far as I am aware was made available to their staff only. If I remember rightly it shows Alderman Dyson with all the civic dignitaries on board tram 15 traveling up The Moor, the horse was white and was being lead by its owner. W/E.

The DVD on ebay that I linked to specifically states it includes "The Changing Scene in Sheffield", which is what I thought we were looking for.

This video was made for SYT in the 80s and as far as I am aware was made available to their staff only. If I remember rightly it shows Alderman Dyson with all the civic dignitaries on board tram 15 traveling up The Moor, the horse was white and was being lead by its owner. W/E.

This might not be what we are looking for: in the photo I referred to earlier the horse is definitely not white.

I've got it WE. I copied it to HD Recorder but, if I remember rightly, when I copied the other one for you it wouldn't play on your machine.

I'll drop the video off at your place next week.

This might not be what we are looking for: in the photo I referred to earlier the horse is definitely not white.

Well, as most of us know time plays tricks, though the horse pulling number 15 at Critch was definitely white. W/E.

Well, as most of us know time plays tricks, though the horse pulling number 15 at Crich was definately white. W/E.

A misunderstanding on my part, perhaps: I thought you meant the horse pulling the tram on The Moor was white. Maybe it is the film we are after

Guest japeflakes

Glad to keep you busy. :-) As I said, I cannot confirm the horse colour till next week, but it is defo the 1961 Moor edition I think we need. Sorry to be so vague but.....

At a guess the horse was not white, but this is ONLY a guess. It was used for horse ploughing as well I am told.

"A" Horse called "Flower" - probably too old but at least we're looking ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s09616%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOWhvcnNlJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJm9wZXJhdGlvbj1BTkQmcGFnZT01

Glad to keep you busy. :-) As I said, I cannot confirm the horse colour till next week, but it is defo the 1961 Moor edition I think we need. Sorry to be so vague but.....

At a guess the horse was not white, but this is ONLY a guess. It was used for horse ploughing as well I am told.

Sorry if this is repeated :

Think the horse tram was used twice

1946 for the jubillee of the transport dept sorry if this date slightly out

then on the moor after the trams had gone

There is video of both the first one shows it been tried outside midland station the second one is onthe moor - not sure of how to get hold of the films at this moment in time