Last Tram Week - Decoration

Sheffield History

The last tram week in Sheffield was celebrated by decorating some of the trams up in grand style

Here's a picture of one as an example

It's so irononc that after getting rid of trams and removing all the track, some 25 or so years later, the SuperTram meant ripping up streets to re-install tracks and re-instate tram service, touted as environmentally friendly public transportation.

what goes around comes around I suppose

Exactly

The problem is though - the original routes appear to me to serve Sheffield much better than the sluggish tram route of today that doesn't reach into the residential districts

The old routes would be much more use today, I think.

We'd maybe not need so many routes through the center but a route up to Woodseats and Walkley/Crookes would be very useful. The one area of town that was never served very well was Parson Cross. That could benefit from the tram.

There are two other routes that I would also like to see....Stocksbridge and Rotherham/Helaby. It is such a shame that we could not put the Woodhead line to use for the tram. I know there have been rumors of running trains up to Deepcar again and using it as some sort of depot/goods yard but I dont think that has nor will happen and when you think of how many cars run into Hillsborough each day from Stocksbridge it is a shame we can't put it to better use.

As for the Rotherham route..well that would help get rid of so much traffic on Bawtry Road and make the run into town amazingly quick but unfortunatly short sighted N.I.M.B.Y's on Bawtry road seemed to have put pay to that. We heard loads of the complaining about the overhead wire and the noise they would suffer but no one seemed to understand how much of a benefit it would be for the whole area..and how much more desirable there houses would be given a good transport route into the city.

It would be nice to see some of the old Sheffield Trams running as a historic service but I'm sure they would need too much doing to them to allow them to run on the modern track but think how cool it would be to have a run up West Street again on 510...

Exactly

The problem is though - the original routes appear to me to serve Sheffield much better than the sluggish tram route of today that doesn't reach into the residential districts

I suppose a number of them were designed to get large numbers of workers to the steelworks? I came across this list recently which should be of interest to those who remember them. How well are the trams used today ? Are they expensive?

The last tram week in Sheffield was celebrated by decorating some of the trams up in grand style

Here's a picture of one as an example

An lots of people doing this! Anybody join in?

An lots of people doing this! Anybody join in?

Nothing like having a comemorative flat thumb as a souvenier lol

Do we have the 1960 Last Tram Souvenir from The Star on the site somewhere please ? I may just be looking in the wrong place. Many Thanks.

Do we have the 1960 Last Tram Souvenir from The Star on the site somewhere please ? I may just be looking in the wrong place. Many Thanks.

Today 8th October is the aniversaryof the end of the original trams in Sheffield. Below is a cutting from the Sheffield Telegraph 8/10/60

Has anybody got any photos of either the decorated trams or the last week/night specials

Looks to have been a good turn out

on the photographers podium. :)

Looks like another enthusiasts' tour - probably the one on 2nd October 1960 which used both Last Tram decorated cars (510 and 513) as well as 501. Note how almost all enthusiasts in those days seemed to wear collar, tie and jacket.

Looks like another enthusiasts' tour - probably the one on 2nd October 1960 which used both Last Tram decorated cars (510 and 513) as well as 501. Note how almost all enthusiasts in those days seemed to wear collar, tie and jacket.

Where was this taken?

Before I was born though the tram lines may provide a clue. There appears to be a small white crumbley poodle-remnant near the man in the light coloured suits foot.

His foot that is - not suggesting his trousers were fitted with footwear !

Where was this taken?

If this was the tour in October 1960 (the week before final closure) not a lot of line was left in use. I would say the trams are on reserved track, which means it must be on Abbeydale Road South.

If this was the tour in October 1960 (the week before final closure) not a lot of line was left in use. I would say the trams are on reserved track, which means it must be on Abbeydale Road South.

Yes, Beauchief Terminus there are houses above the level of the track, can just make out Beauchief Telephone Exchange in the left background