Rivelin Valley Park

Sheffield History

Anyone remember when the Rivelin Valley park used to get really busy ?

The lido in particular was a fantastic attraction in the summer and it's a shame it doesn't get used like it used to..

Yeah - that's the one !

I've been thinking this week about the park's of Sheffield and their usage.

Now it's understandable and well documented about the kids of today rather playing on their Playstations and watching dvd's in their room, but what's the OAP's excuse for not using parks anymore ?

You used to see some of the more mature people of Sheffield frequenting the parks, walking, feeding ducks and playing bowls on the bowling greens.

So where have these people gone and why dont' they use the parks anymore ?

WHEN A KID, RIVELIN WAS LIKE GOING TO SEA SIDE TO US. AND THE BUS JOURNEY WAS JUST AS EXITING, IF YOU COULD GET ON ONE. IN THE SUMMER THEY WERE ALLWAYS ON TIME BUT FULL. THESE WAS THE NUMBERS 2AND3. ONE WENT ONE WAY ROUND THE OUTER CIRCLE OF SHEFFIELD AND THE OTHER THE OPPOSITE WAY ROUND. WE LIVED AT SHIRECLIFFE END BUT CAUGHT THE BUS GOING AWAY FROM HILLSBOROUGH AS THERE WOULD BE SOME ROOM ON IT. WE WOULD GO UPSTAIRS INTO THE FAGFOG AND IT WOULD TAKE AGES GOING VIA WINCOBANK, DARNALL ELM TREE ,GLEADLESS, ECCLESALL,CROSSPOOL AND DOWN TO RIVELIN.BUT IT WOULD BE WORTH IT.

CUCUMBER WEDGE SANDWICHES,DANDELION AND BURDOCK WITH CRUMBS IN IT AND WOOLY TRUNKS THAT THE CRUTCH WOULD RUB ACROSS FLOOR WHEN WET.AND A FACE FLANNEL FOR A TOWEL.BUT WE WER'NT BOTHERED. ENJOYED US SENS.

MUST GO TIDES COMING IN AND WASHING ALL CONES AWAY, O YES WE'VE GOT EM DOWN ERE.

Are the paddling pools still used or are they moth balled

Good to see you here mate. All the old memories coming back again - jumpers for goal posts etc. :) 49 posts already??? I got some catching up to do

Guest lesvegas

I went last year and ive never seen so many kids in one place

It was rammed, take that black and white pic and times the number of people by 20 or more

good to see its still used

I spent half my youth down Rivelin! I always loved the paddling pools but was never quite brave enough to go in the river. My main memory was going down there with my elder sister at Whitsuntide in my new dress. Sis was on strict instructions not to let me near the paddling pool. Of course, being a contrary little blighter, I went in, fell over and got my new clothes wet through. I had to strip off and sit in the parky's hut wrapped in a blanket until they dried off! Mum went mad - but mostly at my sister!

I used to love it in those paddling pools......the way they were painted blue! There was a little pyramid in the middle of one that I could never climb onto.

It was just river water wasn't it....freezing! Later we paddled in the river instead and used to go on that nature walk!

I'm glad to hear the kids of today are still enjoying the area.

I used to love it in those paddling pools......the way they were painted blue! There was a little pyramid in the middle of one that I could never climb onto.

It was just river water wasn't it....freezing! Later we paddled in the river instead and used to go on that nature walk!

I'm glad to hear the kids of today are still enjoying the area.

Rivelin Valley Park and Millhouses both had these types of paddling pools as mentioned here, the Millhouses one is in a semi derelict state what about Rivelin Valley.

Anyone remember when the Rivelin Valley park used to get really busy ?

The lido in particular was a fantastic attraction in the summer and it's a shame it doesn't get used like it used to..

I think it was the mid 50s when it opened, we called it `little Cleethorpes`

Rivelin Valley Park and Millhouses both had these types of paddling pools as mentioned here, the Millhouses one is in a semi derelict state what about Rivelin Valley.

These long, narrow, shallow childrens paddling pools at Rivelin and Millhouses both run parallel to a nearby river (Rivelin and Sheaf respectively) and I would assume take their flow of water from the river.

If this is the case then it would explain why no other Sheffield parks had similar paddling pools.

These long, narrow, shallow childrens paddling pools at Rivelin and Millhouses both run parallel to a nearby river (Rivelin and Sheaf respectively) and I would assume take their flow of water from the river.

If this is the case then it would explain why no other Sheffield parks had similar paddling pools.

Yes but is the paddling pool still there at Rivelin?

They both used the same principle the river water was diverted through some basic filtration system, flowed through the complex then back into the river.

Like a lot of people I have fond memories of the Millhouses paddling pool.

Would it be possible with modern technology to replace these filtration systems and would they be able to meet modern health and safety standards.

Yes but is the paddling pool still there at Rivelin?

They both used the same principle the river water was diverted through some basic filtration system, flowed through the complex then back into the river.

Like a lot of people I have fond memories of the Millhouses paddling pool.

Would it be possible with modern technology to replace these filtration systems and would they be able to meet modern health and safety standards.

Stuart,

the water quality was just one of the reasons behind the closures,

the other was because of senseless people purposely smashing bottles in the pools

so as to cut the kids feet

Stuart,

the water quality was just one of the reasons behind the closures,

the other was because of senseless people purposely smashing bottles in the pools

so as to cut the kids feet

Morons

Curse of many things.

I am sure if all these could be overcome this type of paddling pool would be a great success with families

Morons

Curse of many things.

I am sure if all these could be overcome this type of paddling pool would be a great success with families

Public toilets and now paddling pools, - how many other useful public ameneties are we going to lose / have we already lost to this moronic mindless vandalism that renders the amenity unfit or unsafe for its intended purpose.

Ah, the circular bus. A while after my Gran died my grandad got a date via an agency (I think), and for the date he took the lady on the round trip on the No2, needless to say this was the first and last date.

Rivelin Paddling Pool is still open. I believe the water is now from the mains rather than from the river.

Hugh

slightly off topic, but I think the pool at Millhouses took its water from the river and there were worries about pollution. Not directly connected, but when they dredged the dam at Abbeydale Hamlet a few years ago they removed a lot of silt, and before they could dump it it had to be analysed. They found quantities

of heavy metals which it was assumed had washed down over the years, possibly from lead smelting sites further up the valley dating back to mediaeval times.

As a result the silt could not be dumped on farmland but had to go for disposal some other way.

Rivelin Paddling Pool is still open. I believe the water is now from the mains rather than from the river.

Hugh

Yes the pool is still open now and again last year they didn't quite get it ready in time for the first school

holidays and as it was a warm one the older ones had a dip in the river instead.

I'm glad it's still used, I use to go there myself as a kid. I remember cutting my foot on the flaking rusty

bottom of the pool. :(

Yes the pool is still open now and again last year they didn't quite get it ready in time for the first school

holidays and as it was a warm one the older ones had a dip in the river instead.

I'm glad it's still used, I use to go there myself as a kid. I remember cutting my foot on the flaking rusty

bottom of the pool. :(

In post #17 SteveHB says that vandals used to smash glass in the pools causing cut feet, but flaking rust due to poor maintenance :o

I don't know which would be worse, broken glass or rusty metal?

Hope you had had your tetanus jab ;-)

Nice to know they have been done up enough to make them usable again though.