Duggy the Dinosaur

Guest bus man

Guest bus man

Duggy the Dinosaur or if you prefer alias 9001 and also known as M1 and also known as DUG 167C left olive grove depot at 830 this morning 22nd November 2008 after been bought for preservation .

Duggy was the last in a long line of former double deck buses cut down to single deck form to operate in Sheffield

Duggy joins a small fleet of tow wagons owned by a well known local Wagon Preservationist.

More details and photos will appear later

Duggy the Dinosaur or if you prefer alias 9001 and also known as M1 and also known as DUG 167C left olive grove depot at 830 this morning 22nd November 2008 after been bought for preservation .

Duggy was the last in a long line of former double deck buses cut down to single deck form to operate in Sheffield

Duggy joins a small fleet of tow wagons owned by a well known local Wagon Preservationist.

More details and photos will appear latter

My old mate Eric Belk [sadly now deceased] drove Duggy and his stablemates during his years with SYT and later Mainline. In those days it was a rare sight indeed to see a outside contractor recovering SYT vehicles no matter how far away they were from their base. I remember Eric telling a story of the time he was sent out to assist one of the older tow wagons recovering a bus from Leeds, the long climbes on the M1 had got too much for it and it needed help from Eric`s truck to reach the summits.If he was using Duggy, that would have been a photo for the album, M1 `piggybacking` on the M1.

Guest bus man

My old mate Eric Belk [sadly now deceased] drove Duggy and his stablemates during his years with SYT and later Mainline. In those days it was a rare sight indeed to see a outside contractor recovering SYT vehicles no matter how far away they were from their base. I remember Eric telling a story of the time he was sent out to assist one of the older tow wagons recovering a bus from Leeds, the long climbes on the M1 had got too much for it and it needed help from Eric`s truck to reach the summits.If he was using Duggy, that would have been a photo for the album, M1 `piggybacking` on the M1.

Understand that the tow wagon in trouble was M10 (Now preserved) which was bring a Y Type (Motorway Leopard) from leeds M10 had a siezed engine. We dont (at this stage) now what the rescue wagon was or what it did , ie did it tow the low - M10 & Y type - off motorway then take each back to south yorks individually or were two wagons sent .

O to be on an over bridge with a camera that day

Sincere thanks to the owner of M10 (and other local wagons) for the above information

Just before the 501/502 services were abandoned, I was traveling home on the 53 one afternoon and spotted a Bendy broken down in the layby outside Woodseats library, and our friend Duggy was in attendance. I dashed home for the camera but by the time I got back down to Woodseats they had both gone. I often wondered if Duggy recovered the Bendy, and if so did anyone snap it. Whilst on the subject of tow trucks, when I worked for Bentley Brothers in the 60s we had a Diamond T, does anyone know what happened to that?

Guest bus man

Just before the 501/502 services were abandoned, I was traveling home on the 53 one afternoon and spotted a Bendy broken down in the layby outside Woodseats library, and our friend Duggy was in attendance. I dashed home for the camera but by the time I got back down to Woodseats they had both gone. I often wondered if Duggy recovered the Bendy, and if so did anyone snap it. Whilst on the subject of tow trucks, when I worked for Bentley Brothers in the 60s we had a Diamond T, does anyone know what happened to that?

Next time I see duggy I ll ask him

Not aware of any local car firm tow trucks in preservation

Guest transit

...a couple of rare pics here when Duggy was still a bus ! ...

http://adosbuspics.fotopic.net/p56722054.html

http://adosbuspics.fotopic.net/p62449607.html

...like this ? - spot the dinosaur ;-) !!!!!!

SYT M1 DUG167C 27-9-92 duggy

(just realised its one of your pics Andy ! - had you forgot !?)

lol yeah i was gonna say thats my pic!