Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

I didn't realise that Tempered Spring were still in business.

Does the machine shop still look the same today as it did in 1974?

Any pictures?

At one time not so long ago we used to do "Then & Now" pictures where we took a matching picture now of an old photo to show how it has changed.

Would it be possible to get a now matching photo to either of my 2 pictures? Or like in many cases has redevelopment of the area prevented this being possible.

If it is physically possible to get get a matching location shot has it changed enough to make a "Then & Now" worth doing.

A good "Then and Now" shows a lot of change over the years but also has enough common ground and unchanged bits so that the common location to both shots is obvious.

Yes its still in business even tho many departments got closed and sold the machine shop and a couple of spring departments are still open, Turton Springs are currently moving in from their neepsend building after a merge 2 years ago.

From looking at your photo's the buildind still stands pretty much the same, the sign on top is long gone tho.

a then and now would be a great idea, there is mention of a new premises for the machine shop so who knows, it most probably would goto redevelopment.

Yes its still in business even tho many departments got closed and sold the machine shop and a couple of spring departments are still open, Turton Springs are currently moving in from their neepsend building after a merge 2 years ago.

From looking at your photo's the buildind still stands pretty much the same, the sign on top is long gone tho.

a then and now would be a great idea, there is mention of a new premises for the machine shop so who knows, it most probably would goto redevelopment.

these are the images i've managed to find on google street :)

these are the images i've managed to find on google street :)

That's great ths-syorks,

Looks like those photos are a Then and Now waiting to be taken.

I don't get down to that part of town much these days to take the Now pictures.

Not to worry I'll get Stuart to go round and take them, - he seems to have plenty of spare time these days lol

Not to worry I'll get Stuart to go round and take them, - he seems to have plenty of spare time these days lol

he he:Phe he yeah i'd definately get some proper ones done, before it all comes down :(

he he:Phe he yeah i'd definately get some proper ones done, before it all comes down :(

I have these, but they were taken lookig down river.

November 2007

I have these, but they were taken lookig down river.

November 2007

Good pictures Steve.

Pity they are facing the opposite way to mine but even so you can clearly see the changes between 1974 and 2007 in them can't you.

Here's another

663, Ecclesall Road.

Can't make out much more than STORE from the "Google Street View" image.

I'll get a better look when I have chance.

It looks as though the sign pre-dates the buildings to the left because they obscure most of it from view.

Having seen this from the top deck of a bus today I would say that the bottom line is Drapery Store. The upper line is indistinct to me.

Unfortunately my attempt to photograph it from the bus was a dismal failure: from pavement level (actually about 5 feet above pavement level) it looked like this:

Having seen this from the top deck of a bus today I would say that the bottom line is Drapery Store. The upper line is indistinct to me.

Unfortunately my attempt to photograph it from the bus was a dismal failure: from pavement level (actually about 5 feet above pavement level) it looked like this:

Likewise with me madannie, that bottom line reads drapery store but upperlines not distinct.

Nice to see you are back in Sheffield for Christmas, enjoy your stay ;-)

Fred Thompson, Draper 663 & 665 Ecclesall Road 1911-1925, maybe longer ...

Upper line doesn't look like Fred Thompson to me, but the address matches that given by madannie perfectly.

Bannister, John Edward, The Creamery, Fresh Seperated Cream, New or Seperated Milk, Fresh Churned Butter, 663 Ecclesall Road (1905).

Bannister, John Edward, The Creamery, Fresh Seperated Cream, New or Seperated Milk, Fresh Churned Butter, 663 Ecclesall Road (1905).

Bit different from a drapery store and still doesn't seem to fit that ghostly writing.

May help with the dates though to fix down when it actually was a drapers and so date this mysterious relic of a sign.

I don't think we've had this before.

Main Road, Darnall B&C

I've edited them into the Co-op list.

In the last one (bay window) there's something written underneath the word Pelaw. Can't make it out.

Guest binsted71

I don't think we've had this before.

Main Road, Darnall B&C

I've edited them into the Co-op list.

In the last one (bay window) there's something written underneath the word Pelaw. Can't make it out.

PELAW was the brand name of Co-op polishes if I remember correctly.

I think you're right with all of them

BUT

Sorry I didn't explain very well.

I meant "Underneath - At the back of" Pelow

-----------------------------------

Manufacturers of Bronchial Mixture and Polish.

Doesn't sound very good.

Guest transit

I think you're right with all of them

BUT

Sorry I didn't explain very well.

I meant "Underneath - At the back of" Pelow

-----------------------------------

...first bit looks like WHOLESALE ?

...first bit looks like WHOLESALE ?

The letters C.W.S (on the window pane above) are an abbrieviation of 'Co-op wholesale society'

Manufacturers of Bronchial Mixture and Polish.

Doesn't sound very good.

I have come across stranger and more outragous combinations of things that a manufacturer could make.

There may have been a common ingredient here in both the polish and the bronchial mixture.

Somehow camphor comes to mind.

The Co-operative Wholesale Society had an enormous manufacturing complex in Pelaw, making things as diverse as books, clothing, furniture, shoe. polish & pharmaceutical products.

Some time ago I went to a museum somewhere in the north-east which had a fine display about the Pelaw factories, but I cannot remember where it was. Too many museums, not enough memory :o.

Wikipedia waffle about Pelaw

More detail about the Pelaw factories