Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

Not far off jmdee,

BERT BEACH AUTOMOBILE ENGINEER

Bert Beach, Electrical Engineer, 88 Catch Bar Lane (1919)

and Automobile Engineer, 88 Catch Bar Lane (1925)

Recently a advertising hording has been removed from above Grahams Tyres and this was behind it, can't quite make out what the name is.

Brian

Now with the recent loss of image scaling on the site I find that either I have got to try and read it from the thumbnail image in the post or that I have got to keep scrolling around the image looking at essentially 2 letters at a time due to the large size of the complete image.

Makes trying to help out in a topic like this a lot harder. :(

A couple here from hillsborough corner, on Picture Sheffield. com, looks one was updated and painted over the other.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17914

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y01967

Now with the recent loss of image scaling on the site I find that either I have got to try and read it from the thumbnail image in the post or that I have got to keep scrolling around the image looking at essentially 2 letters at a time due to the large size of the complete image.

Makes trying to help out in a topic like this a lot harder. :(

I agree with you on that one Dave , the pictures are either too small

or too large there's no happy medium.

Sorry Admin, we're whinging again.

I agree with you on that one Dave , the pictures are either too small

or too large there's no happy medium.

Sorry Admin, we're whinging again.

What browser are you using Ukelele lady?

If its Internet Explorer then vox has tipped me off that if you right click the thumbnail and then from the menu which appears select "open in a new tab" it will open the picture in a new tab which is scaleable and has the little magnifying glass pointer which on each click lets you toggle between full size with scrollbars and fit to screen / window size.

So its not as bad as I thought.

If you're not using Internet Explorer I have just spent the afternoon investigating this issue on a number of common browsers so I could probably advise you on what to do

[even if it's only to use a different browser, lol ]

Don't know if this has been posted before but here it is... This is on the corner of Marion road, junction of middlewood road.

Hi

I picked this one up today, did you notice the shop accross the junction with the shopfront advertising Park Drive? there is also a painted advert showing Condor Tobacco on a shop opposite the pub in the one way system at Malin Bridge. I also took pictures of that but havn't had chance to download them yet.

What browser are you using Ukelele lady?

If its Internet Explorer then vox has tipped me off that if you right click the thumbnail and then from the menu which appears select "open in a new tab" it will open the picture in a new tab which is scaleable and has the little magnifying glass pointer which on each click lets you toggle between full size with scrollbars and fit to screen / window size.

Yes it is Internet Explorer, thanks Dave I will try that,

Yes it is Internet Explorer, thanks Dave I will try that,

If it works (and it should) thank vox, - it was vox that pointed it out to me. ;-)

Following on from my last post, this is Condor tobacco sign that has been revealed at Malin bridge, plus the Park Drive shop fron I mentioned.

I also picked up this one next to the old cinema on catchbar lane/ middlewood rd. looking at some of the gables around the area it looks as though painted signs were quite prolific around Hillsborough.

I also picked up this one next to the old cinema on catchbar lane/ middlewood rd. looking at some of the gables around the area it looks as though painted signs were quite prolific around Hillsborough.

Miss Dora Williams (Ltd), 1925

The painted sign version of the tattood man

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=v00863

Great find !

Albert Taylor, Tobacconist, 19 Attercliffe Common in 1905

Albert Taylor, Wholesale and Retail tobacconist, 803 Attercliffe Road (1911, 1919 and 1925)

(previously Charles Coxell, Painter, same address in 1893)

Albert Taylor, Wholesale and Retail tobacconist, 803 Attercliffe Road (1911, 1919 and 1925)

(previously Charles Coxell, Painter, same address in 1893)

picturesheffield

Number 803, across the road from the Greyhound PH.

Link to OS map #180

Has anybody picked up on this yet? The're asking for help getting national coverage. (Project description here )

I am sure I briefly caught a glimpse of something about this on morning TV yesterday (still on Easter holiday from school lol ) but I was rushing around trying to do other things and so didn't really take much notice of it at the time.

Has anybody picked up on this yet? The're asking for help getting national coverage. (Project description here )

Some brilliant ones on there.

Nice find Bayleaf

good guess, :) its actually The Tempered Spring Co. on Effingham Street

The one that used to look like this in 1974

Pictures from the DaveH personal collection of pictures taken in December 1974.

Amazingly I don't think I have actually posted either of these 2 before.

First time I've ever seen them, they're great pics :) the pic I posted was on the same building but round the back on the three story section,

Also they are my current employer, I work in the machine shop which is what your photos are of :)

First time I've ever seen them, they're great pics :) the pic I posted was on the same building but round the back on the three story section,

Also they are my current employer, I work in the machine shop which is what your photos are of :)

I didn't realise that Tempered Spring were still in business.

Does the machine shop still look the same today as it did in 1974?

Any pictures?

At one time not so long ago we used to do "Then & Now" pictures where we took a matching picture now of an old photo to show how it has changed.

Would it be possible to get a now matching photo to either of my 2 pictures? Or like in many cases has redevelopment of the area prevented this being possible.

If it is physically possible to get get a matching location shot has it changed enough to make a "Then & Now" worth doing.

A good "Then and Now" shows a lot of change over the years but also has enough common ground and unchanged bits so that the common location to both shots is obvious.