Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

Not sure if this is the right place to put these, feel free to tell me if they are not in the right place.

Lil

Not sure if this is the right place to put these, feel free to tell me if they are not in the right place.

Lil

Welcome to the Site, Lil48; where are these buildings please ?

There is further writing visible above the second photo, hence the request for an address.

Don't worry about posting stuff in the wrong place, we have people here willing and able to put posts into the right place; known here as "Link Fairy's"

Welcome to the Site, Lil48; where are these buildings please ?

There is further writing visible above the second photo, hence the request for an address.

Don't worry about posting stuff in the wrong place, we have people here willing and able to put posts into the right place; known here as "Link Fairy's"

The first photo 'Terminus Market'

is on Middlewood Road - link to ..

Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings, Buildings & Bridges in or around Sheffield displaying dates

Guest transit

... a lot of these "brickwork" advertisements have "come to life" once again , fairly recently , as many have been covered for years by the large "advertising hoardings" we have all become used to - with the advertising company changing the adverts occasionally with paper and glue "banners"- (bill posting - similar to wallpapering ,but on a larger and more precarious scale !)

Dont know all the info , but a lot of these "placards" have been noticeably taken down over the last few years , revealing the ghostly lettering of ads gone by which were hand painted directly onto the brickwork.

So where is William the high class confectioner?

I think that should be Williams. The S has faded away because it wasn't protected by the hoarding.

Is it my imagination or could it have said DORA above.

Anyway I can't find any William or Williams confectioners up to now.

I think that should be Williams. The S has faded away because it wasn't protected by the hoarding.

Is it my imagination or could it have said DORA above.

Anyway I can't find any William or Williams confectioners up to now.

Miss Dora Williams (Ltd), Confectioners, Middlewood Road (1925)

Miss Dora Williams (Ltd), Confectioners, Middlewood Road (1925)

you are spot on it is Middlewood road, here is a wider angled shot so you can see it in situ

And a 2 after the 4, making it 0142 .................?

do you think it could be a sign that was overthe painted sign, on the sign could have been the phone number with area code 0114 2

do you think it could be a sign that was overthe painted sign, on the sign could have been the phone number with area code 0114 2

Yes it was a sign over the painted sign. The plastic sign being broken off with

the remaining piece left with part of the telephone number still on.

You can plainly see this as you walk under it.

Hatfield House Lane at Shiregreen on the side of a house now sadly faded. I remember this from my youth in the 1970's and is still just visable for a firm of Auctioneers called Bell's hence the bell lol

Guest mbyastroman

Don't know if this has been posted before but here it is... This is on the corner of Marion road, junction of middlewood road.

Don't know if this has been posted before but here it is... This is on the corner of Marion road, junction of middlewood road.

Hi mbyastroman, welcome to the site, I hope you find it of interest.

We have topics on most subjects related to Sheffield, so post your school memories, your work memories or anything Sheffield related that people would be interested in.

I have moved your post into an existing topic about such painted advertisements. Dont worry if you post in the wrong place at first we will spot it and adjust as requied

Stuart

Welcome to the Site mbyastroman and thanks for the picture of

George William Gillings premises known at 483 Middlewood Road in 1905, 1911 and 1911. Never seen a picture though, so Thanks again.

{Sure I should be able to place Marion Road, being a Hillsborough-boy, but we'll have to hope a Map-Fairy passes this way soon :rolleyes: }

Welcome to the Site mbyastroman and thanks for the picture of

George William Gillings premises known at 483 Middlewood Road in 1905, 1911 and 1911. Never seen a picture though, so Thanks again.

{Sure I should be able to place Marion Road, being a Hillsborough-boy, but we'll have to hope a Map-Fairy passes this way soon :rolleyes: }

Sorry I was having my tea lol

Link to Map 195

Sorry I was having my tea lol

Link to Map 195

Map fairies knock off for their tea

Link fairies have to work all the way through their tea.

That's not fair, I'm taking this to the National Union of Fairies (NUF)

I think that is "fairy NUF" he he he he he he lol

Thank you Mysterious Fairie-being; PH bottom right is the Park Hotel ?

This is more or less opposite the tram terminus, I think there's a garage across the road from it

maybe Gilders, a long way from the Park Hotel.

It looks as though someone beat me to it. Iv'e been going to take this picture for a few weeks but it

was always so dismal so I took it Tuesday.

Welcome to the site mbyastroman. Did you notice the other one two roads further down? just

blank and white?

Bentleys Garage. Late of 12 Kilton Hill, Pitsmoor. Anyone able to get up and take a better shot of this building please. My photo thanks to google earth. W/E.

Bentleys Garage. Late of 12 Kilton Hill, Pitsmoor. Anyone able to get up and take a better shot of this building please. My photo thanks to google earth. W/E.

Top lever "Garage" - go figure

Bottom level (left) "Authorised" ... possibly ... for further comment.

Top lever "Garage" - go figure

Bottom level (left) "Authorised" ... possibly ... for further comment.

Bentlys Garage, Kilton Hill, Pitsmoor. Authorized Buick and Chevrolet dealer. Anyone know the history or have any early photos of this garage. Photo, thanks to Google.

Guest mbyastroman

Came across this one today, don't think its been posted before, can't make out the wording at the top

Leppings Lane

Came across this one today, don't think its been posted before, can't make out the wording at the top

I think I know ... will PM my answer to keep it going for others.