Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

That would be me sir.

Thanks

So before Richard distracted us what was the painted sign we were trying to interpret?

Lets get back on topic, it wasn't on Penistone Road was it?

That would be me sir.

Thanks

I was distracted by the word Styring and thought I must post this up - but then distracted again by muffins, beef, red wine and stuff ... sorry.

Does anybody know or can decipher what was painted on this building, location is the bottom end of St Phillips Rd, the bit between Infimary Rd and Penistone Rd

Think we were here Dave

Think we were here Dave

OK I'm with it again.

Its definately Glass and China, no problem

Word underneath is also clearly Merchants,

BUT it is strangely offset to the right with respect to the Glass and China bit (that window framing exagerates this) and ios in a different style

Are the Glass and China part of the same sign as the Merchants bit or has there been some overpainting over the years?

The words above Glass and China I didn't notice were there at first, then I couldn't make out a single letter, it just looked like patterning,

then vox suggested it was Tasker Bros and now that is all I can see it saying,- and very clearly at that.

Got to agree with vox's interpretation of all 3 sections of this sign.

I'm just wanting someone to tell me what I said and what we're talking about !!! Please.

Been on the wine again have we Richard? he he

Been on the wine again have we Richard? he he

Thanks to Richards little digression we now have a whole page of posts (40 of them) and we still haven't got to the bottom of weather it was Taker Bros or not and if they were actually glass and china merchants.

No post #40 that I could find.

Don't know what's happening to this topic, different people see different things

Don't know what's happening to this topic, different people see different things

When we finally get back round to it, some of us can actually see painted advertisements, some of them ghostly.

The more I look at it the more I think there's something else "underneath" the more obvious writing.

This is what I'm sure is there so far. But what's behind I'm still trying to work out.

• Like 1

The more I look at it the more I think there's something else "underneath" the more obvious writing.

This is what I'm sure is there so far. But what's behind I'm still trying to work out.

What is that white wooden looking structure, - clearly NOT a window as it has the wall behind it?

And what about that vertical piece that seems to be holding it up?

It really does get in the way of what we are trying to read.

What is that white wooden looking structure, - clearly NOT a window as it has the wall behind it?

The wooden structure I'd be prepared to bet, is the framework for a later, wooden sign.

The upright - Dunno, beats me Dave. :)

The wooden structure I'd be prepared to bet, is the framework for a later, wooden sign.

The upright - Dunno, beats me Dave. :)

lol

lol

Stuart 0742 - Signpainter & Graffitist - Bottom end of St Phillips Rd, the bit between Infimary Rd and Penistone Rd. - (Whites 1856) :)

lol

No, its a forgery!

Stuart0742 went to Norfolk School and had Man Wright for English so he can spell reyt propper.

He would have put Stuart0742 were 'ere

lolhe he lol

Could the upright have been to deliver services i.e. electricity to the white frame ? An illuminated sign ... unlikely to have delivered water or pork pies ...

No, its a forgery!

Stuart0742 went to Norfolk School and had Man Wright for English so he can spell reyt propper.

He would have put Stuart0742 were 'ere

lolhe helol

If we are having personalised signs we may as well add the Sheffield History logo, a bit of advertising will not go a miss :)

If we are having personalised signs we may as well add the Sheffield History logo, a bit of advertising will not go a miss :)

If you are going to write "Stuart0742 was here" on the sign, why do you need to bother with your little red watermark in the bottom left of the picture?

According to the Kelly's Street directory 1902 James Tasker & Bros of

St Philips Road were mineral water manufacturers. :rolleyes:

According to the Kelly's Street directory 1902 James Tasker & Bros of

St Philips Road were mineral water manufacturers. :rolleyes:

After a few red herrings and ideas I think this seems sensible

That vertical piece was there to stop the wall from bowing out. Attached to it would be a long metal rod that ran under the bedroom floors and conected up to a simillar piece of metal at the other side of the property. Neddy should be able to tell us a lot more about these.

That vertical piece was there to stop the wall from bowing out. Attached to it would be a long metal rod that ran under the bedroom floors and conected up to a simillar piece of metal at the other side of the property. Neddy should be able to tell us a lot more about these.

So it was a sort of brace and tie rod thing to stop the building falling down then?

Interesting, - as although I have come across that in construction before I would have never thought that that is what it was in this picture.

I can't remember where or when I took this.

Around Lambert Street by the look of the advert below.

It looks to be a razor blade makers sign.

Does it say Gleaner?