Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

Could it be beer from the brewery [Don] ? :blink:

Theres the Kelham Island brewery that makes pale rider and the like and also another micro brewery in the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road.

Neither of these are on Penistone and Richard does give an exact address.

Must be one of his cryptic clues.

Until something better comes along - it's a plan. Would make some sense, make bottles; put "stuff" in the bottles ... the location is good, as is back of 327 Penistone Road ... but maybe more of that later

327 Peniston Rd was just after Hillfoot Bridge.

On the left going out. Beneath Cuthbert Bank where the pigeon lofts were/are.

Can't make sense of that at the moment. :unsure:

327 Peniston Rd was just after Hillfoot Bridge.

On the left going out. Beneath Cuthbert Bank where the pigeon lofts were/are.

Can't make sense of that at the moment. :unsure:

Perhaps we are just trying to read too much into one of Richards random ramblings. :unsure:

Perhaps we are just trying to read too much into one of Richards random ramblings. :unsure:

I think I'll keep the faith for a while and hope for an exiting revelation Dave.

I don't think I'll get to sleep easily tonight. he he

Theres the Kelham Island brewery that makes pale rider and the like and also another micro brewery in the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road.

Neither of these are on Penistone and Richard does give an exact address.

Must be one of his cryptic clues.

I don't even know which question this refers to or what I said !!!

Your post No.40 started it I think Richard. :)

Nope, can't find that either ... are my Posts numbered differently ? See a lot of Post 5's but no Post 40.

I don't remember the tailors but I do remember Stathers the chemist and maybe next door[infirmary Road]

Oades the sweet shop also Williams the bakery where my mother worked.They sold the best flap jack ever

although they called it nutty flip.

We got our bread from Williams in the 50s/60s, used to get served by a lady called Margeret who lived just off Scott Road Pitsmoor.

Nope, can't find that either ... are my Posts numbered differently ? See a lot of Post 5's but no Post 40.

It was definately your post, #40 in this thread that I was refering to Richard.

This post is now #61 so if all you've got is post #5, or lots of post #5's it looks like you have got some technical problems as well.

At least your avitar is displaying normally on my computer now, - the 500 club one.

On Thursday last week your posts had MY avitar on so I though you had nicked it :o

It was definately your post, #40 in this thread that I was refering to Richard.

This post is now #61 so if all you've got is post #5, or lots of post #5's it looks like you have got some technical problems as well.

At least your avitar is displaying normally on my computer now, - the 500 club one.

On Thursday last week your posts had MY avitar on so I though you had nicked it :o

I'm just wanting someone to tell me what I said and what we're talking about !!! Please.

Until something better comes along - it's a plan. Would make some sense, make bottles; put "stuff" in the bottles ... the location is good, as is back of 327 Penistone Road ... but maybe more of that later

Your post #40 is in the quote box above.

Do the interactive links work?

they do for me.

Yes and no Steve.

Due to the trouble I had with connection to the site last January I can no longer connect using IE without reconfiguring it for proxy servers so I use Firefox for all my SH work with a different proxy setting to IE.

When I click on a link in your pdf document it asks if I trust the site, - so I click on yes

It then tries to connect me over the Internet to the link BUT it tries opening IE to do it and IE isn't configured to allow access to SH.

So YES it works, but NO my computer doesn't want it to work.

Here you are, Painted Advertisements, page 1 & 2.

Painted_Advertisements___Sheffield_History___Sheffield_Memories.pdf

327 Penistone Road was another person called Styring ... which may be of interest to someone (I forget who)

Thomas Styring & Sons, Lens workers in glass and pebble, 1919 and 1925.

Nothing mysterious except me not being able to find it.

Is that a seat infront of the sign? I've never noticed that before.

After you have drunk some of their stuff you need to sit down before you fall down he he

The HSBC bank on Pinstone Street has had its signs removed and above its door now is this ghostly image which can just about be made out to read

"MIDLAND BANK"

So how old is that then? Midland Bank became HSBC at some point in the first half of the 1990's so I suspect about 15 or 16 years since it was last seen.

Cant answer your question exactly as I didnt work at this branch, but as an ex-employee of Midland Bank, have done a bit of research and come up with the following:-

- HSBC acquired a stake in Midland Bank of nearly 15% in 1987.

- HSBC then took full ownership in 1992.

- In 1999 the rebranding took place and Midland Bank was no more. :(

I am sure some of you out there can remember the Griffin logo, when Midland Bank was known as "the listening bank"?

Just a bit more useless information for you : the final Head Office building of Midland Bank in London was sold in 2006 to a Russian Tycoon and HSBC vacated the building in 2007. I visited that very building in the late 70's and was given a guided tour of the underground vaults - it really was exciting. Apologies for digressing from the original question, but it gave me a trip down memory lane lol

Cant answer your question exactly as I didnt work at this branch, but as an ex-employee of Midland Bank, have done a bit of research and come up with the following:-

- HSBC acquired a stake in Midland Bank of nearly 15% in 1987.

- HSBC then took full ownership in 1992.

- In 1999 the rebranding took place and Midland Bank was no more. :(

I am sure some of you out there can remember the Griffin logo, when Midland Bank was known as "the listening bank"?

Just a bit more useless information for you : the final Head Office building of Midland Bank in London was sold in 2006 to a Russian Tycoon and HSBC vacated the building in 2007. I visited that very building in the late 70's and was given a guided tour of the underground vaults - it really was exciting. Apologies for digressing from the original question, but it gave me a trip down memory lane lol

Checked my old bank statements.

The wording on the top changes from Midland Bank plc on the March 1999 statement to HSBC on the April 1999 statement (new financial year)

However the logo on both, and going back before that is the HSBC "red triangles", the griffin had already gone!

Now that griffin bears too much of a resemblance to the logo of Peugeot Motors, - is that why they changed it or was it just the HSBC takeover.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find my last statement bearing the griffin logo as well.

Checked my old bank statements.

The wording on the top changes from Midland Bank plc on the March 1999 statement to HSBC on the April 1999 statement (new financial year)

However the logo on both, and going back before that is the HSBC "red triangles", the griffin had already gone!

Now that griffin bears too much of a resemblance to the logo of Peugeot Motors, - is that why they changed it or was it just the HSBC takeover.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find my last statement bearing the griffin logo as well.

Just the HSBC takeover I am afraid - but you are right it does look similar to Peugeot Motors' logo.

You must have a very large vault to keep bank statements from that long ago Dave! About the only things I have with the Griffin logo on is my last pension statement and a few publicity shots with ye olde Griffin in the background - God rest his soul :mellow:

Just the HSBC takeover I am afraid - but you are right it does look similar to Peugeot Motors' logo.

You must have a very large vault to keep bank statements from that long ago Dave! About the only things I have with the Griffin logo on is my last pension statement and a few publicity shots with ye olde Griffin in the background - God rest his soul :mellow:

My statements go back to the day I opened my account in September 1974, just before I packed my stuff and left for university for the first time.

The early ones take up most room as they were sent out monthly but these days they are 3 monthly so less paper with more on each sheet. Suppose I should do paperless Internet banking really.

327 Penistone Road was another person called Styring ... which may be of interest to someone (I forget who)

Thomas Styring & Sons, Lens workers in glass and pebble, 1919 and 1925.

Nothing mysterious except me not being able to find it.

That would be me sir.

Thanks