Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

I would say that is Duncan Gilmour & Co part of the Joshua Tetley group of companies.

Is it or was it a Tetleys pub?

Last time I went in there, about 1988, I seem to remember ordering a pint of Tetley's just as a fight started and all hell broke out.

Yes it was a Tetleys boozer, so it will be an old Gilmours house.

I saw this as I drove past so I found it on Google Street View when I got home.

Quite a good one.

Does anybody know or can decipher what was painted on this building, location is the bottom end of St Phillips Rd, the bit between Infimary Rd and Penistone Rd

Guest transit

Does anybody know or can decipher what was painted on this building, location is the bottom end of St Phillips Rd, the bit between Infimary Rd and Penistone Rd

...from picture 2 distance , it looks like "Glass & Glazing Merchants " .....?????

Glass & China Merchant

there is even more ghostly writing above the white frame thing - can make out ER BRO

I used to live just around the corner from there as a kid and

for years and years it was the Andrews Coach Company.

But I can't seem to make that out of the writing on the wall.

Glass & China Merchant

there is even more ghostly writing above the white frame thing - can make out ER BRO

100% agree - Glass & China Merchants

and it looks like TASKER BROs

100% agree - Glass & China Merchants

and it looks like TASKER BROs

Looking again, if you centralise the writing above Glass & China Merchants, it has to be a longer word than Tasker.

Is there a large F or J at the beginning? Above the G in Glass.

Looking again, if you centralise the writing above Glass & China Merchants, it has to be a longer word than Tasker.

Is there a large F or J at the beginning? Above the G in Glass.

James Tasker Mineral water manufacturer (Tasker Bros.) 305 St Philip's Road (Kelly's 1893)

Joseph Maddison Mineral water manufacturer (Tasker Bros.) h. 269 St. Philip's Road (White's 1911)

Have we solved the one behind the item in discussion ??? If so that amuses me greatly !

Another poor quality mobile phone photo.

This is on Kent Road.

I can make out STORES at the bottom but that's all.

The word at the top could be 'Gilmours'

making it a beer off store

James Tasker Mineral water manufacturer (Tasker Bros.) 305 St Philip's Road (Kelly's 1893)

Joseph Maddison Mineral water manufacturer (Tasker Bros.) h. 269 St. Philip's Road (White's 1911)

Have we solved the one behind the item in discussion ??? If so that amuses me greatly !

So Tasker Bros. make mineral water and the "glass and china merchants" make or sell bottles and jars to put it in. lol

So Tasker Bros. make mineral water and the "glass and china merchants" make or sell bottles and jars to put it in. lol

Until something better comes along - it's a plan. Would make some sense, make bottles; put "stuff" in the bottles ... the location is good, as is back of 327 Penistone Road ... but maybe more of that later

When I visited this building regulary in the mid to late 1960s it was the end dwelling of a row of terraced houses. It belonged to Mr Hollis the local undertaker and somehow it managed to escape demolition. It would be in the early 70s when all the houses attached to it were pulled down, much to the amusement of Mr Hollis who overnight became the proud owner of a detached house without having to move. I think the business closed in the early 80s. W/E.

I used to live just around the corner from there as a kid and

for years and years it was the Andrews Coach Company.

But I can't seem to make that out of the writing on the wall.

Andrews [319] was at the bottom end off the terraced houses and was demolished for the widening of Penistone Road in the 80s. `ukelele lady` Do you remember Fred Eric the tailor`s and Stathers the chemist ? W/E.

This appeared when the building was recently refurbished.

W. Briddon - Newsagent and Tobacconist.

Northfield Road, Crookes

1919, 1925 William Briddon Shopkeeper, Newsagent 162 Northfield Road.

Here's another

663, Ecclesall Road.

Can't make out much more than STORE from the "Google Street View" image.

I'll get a better look when I have chance.

It looks as though the sign pre-dates the buildings to the left because they obscure most of it from view.

Here's another

663, Ecclesall Road.

Can't make out much more than STORE from the "Google Street View" image.

I'll get a better look when I have chance.

It looks as though the sign pre-dates the buildings to the left because they obscure most of it from view.

Looks like the buildings to the left have been there some time, this picturesheffield photo is dated 1900's

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s17486.jpg

Andrews [319] was at the bottom end off the terraced houses and was demolished for the widening of Penistone Road in the 80s. `ukelele lady` Do you remember Fred Eric the tailor`s and Stathers the chemist ? W/E.

I don't remember the tailors but I do remember Stathers the chemist and maybe next door[infirmary Road]

Oades the sweet shop also Williams the bakery where my mother worked.They sold the best flap jack ever

although they called it nutty flip.

I don't remember the tailors but I do remember Stathers the chemist and maybe next door[infirmary Road]

Oades the sweet shop also Williams the bakery where my mother worked.They sold the best flap jack ever

although they called it nutty flip.

Called Flapjack Nutty Flip! :o

They must have been Flippin' Nutty. :)

Until something better comes along - it's a plan. Would make some sense, make bottles; put "stuff" in the bottles ... the location is good, as is back of 327 Penistone Road ... but maybe more of that later

The back of Penistone Road?

So what is this "mineral water"?

Is it water straight out of the River Don :o

If so the main mineral in it would be IRON from old steel works which once lined this valley ;-)