Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

Googling from one end to the other has given me bonce-ache. Can't fathom the "unique" bit even though I have probably passed this premises more than most (on my way to school) ...

Here's one for anyone who is familiar with the Walkley area.

I'll not give the full address yet, as I suspect a "Google" will give the answer.

The shop is mentioned on this site Richard. The post was written by your own fair hand.

I've just Googled the exact address myself, and actually it doesn't give the answer - sorry to mislead, I was only guessing.

To get any result, you have to Google the name of the shop. lol

I never realised (I'd forgotten) that buses went up Highton Street.

Suicide mission. lol

On occasions, usually after forgetting you were a short runner, we would end coming down Highton Street. Fortunately all back loaders on service 95 at that time were fitted with air brakes. W/E.

I admit defeat on ths one Vox; I've had my moments of excellence and this just isn't coming back to me at all.

The shop is mentioned on this site Richard. The post was written by your own fair hand.

I've just Googled the exact address myself, and actually it doesn't give the answer - sorry to mislead, I was only guessing.

To get any result, you have to Google the name of the shop. lol

Who could forget Saul's Pork Shop, famous for it's dry cured bacon and boiled ham. A great loss to north west Sheffield when it closed down.

I can smell the atmosphere now, they should have bottled it.

There was a wooden casement around the window with SAUL'S written above it and The Noted Bacon Shop continued above the shop door.

HD

My ancestor had a shop on Walkley Road which now is just a dwelling, could it be on Walkley Road?

It was on South Road, near to the old Walkley tram terminus.

HD

Who could forget Saul's Pork Shop, famous for it's dry cured bacon and boiled ham. A great loss to north west Sheffield when it closed down.

I can smell the atmosphere now, they should have bottled it.

There was a wooden casement around the window with SAUL'S written above it and The Noted Bacon Shop continued above the shop door.

HD

The Noted Bacon Shop it is/was HD

The tiny glimpse of writing, now visible, is the "B" for Bacon.

Due to it's size and prominent location this is probably here already, but just in case...  Next to the old Hillsborough Park Cinema.

In the 50's there was one on a gable end somewhere around the Bramall Lane area which read 'Jay Sauce'. Any memories of it ?

This morning on the side wall of the recent Nether Edge Post Office along Abbeydale Road appears evidence of an older Post Office.

old P.O.jpeg

They have recently taken down the hoardings above Butterworth's cycle shop on the corner of Abbeydale Road and Leyburn Road (opposite Abbeydale Primary School). My 1954 Kelly's Directory shows the shop as '547 Abbeydale Road, Butterworth Albt E. cycle dealer'.

The shop is still open and run by a member of the Butterworth family.

Wazzie Worrall

IMG_3396.JPG

• Like 1

I forgot about the penny farthing. Heading towards Leyburn Road from Broadfield Road were a row of shops including 527 Walker's Chip Shop (excellent pickled eggs), 537 Abbeydale Road Post Office. The post office was recently relocated from Nether Edge Road into Rehman Brothers grocers, however I understand that this has now closed, leaving no post office between Highfield and Millhouses.

Wazzie Worrall