Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

Most of us know where this place is and what it used to be, it is now an Asda.

As we can see this is the back of the old Hillsbro Park Cinema but what does it say underneath that?

Yes vox I think you're right with the Matinees but higher up it seems smaller print being covered by larger print..

A few clues plus a lot of supposition, so --

I think it's probably this, just because It's the sort of thing you would have expected to see at the time.

I would say that is Duncan Gilmour & Co part of the Joshua Tetley group of companies.

Is it or was it a Tetleys pub?

Yes, there used to be glass with Duncan Gilmour etched into it in the windows as well.

It used to be a Tetly's pub - multiroomed until the mid '80s. I have been going in there since the '70s and still do!

Yes, there used to be glass with Duncan Gilmour etched into it in the windows as well.

It used to be a Tetly's pub - multiroomed until the mid '80s. I have been going in there since the '70s and still do!

The Ball on Mansfield Road was a call in pub for me, on my way to the Embassy Ballroom in the mid 70's - 80's

This is on Glossop Rd Broomhill (Opposite Thyme Cafe and Peel St).

The premises at 479 Glossop Rd were owned by a Isaac H Fisher around 1905 who was a Groce & Beer Retailer. All I can make out is

Guinness
Harp Label

Always in Splendid Condition

Thomas Ward, grocer, 479 Glossop Road (White's 1879)

Issac Hazlehurst Fisher, Grocer and Beer retailer, 479 Glossop Road (Kelly's 1893 and White's 1905 Directories)

Hiram H. Bates, Grocer, 479 Glossop Road (White's 1911)

Mrs Clara Mason, Grocer, 479 Glossop Road (white's 1919)

and John Edward Allcard, Gocer, 479 Glossop Road (Kelly's 1925)

This is on Glossop Rd Broomhill (Opposite Thyme Cafe and Peel St).

The premises at 479 Glossop Rd were owned by a Isaac H Fisher around 1905 who was a Groce & Beer Retailer. All I can make out is

Guinness

Harp Label

Always in Splendid Condition

I walk around a fair bit in Darnall and there are lots of these advertisements (some of which have already appeared in this thread) in the area. They are ghostly remains of a time long gone; black and white, faded and advertising products no longer with us.

Not a great pic but this is part of one on the corner of Main Rd and Waverley Rd.

Has anyone noticed in the old photos of Sheffield shops, that quite a few had prices of goods painted on the outside wall, does this mean that prices were pretty stable? If it was today the painter wouldn't be at the bottom of his ladder before he had to up again to alter the price.

• Like 1

That was in the days before the end of Resale Price Maintenance in the sixties.

Prices were stable for years at a time as I remember. A tin of beans cost, say, a shilling wherever you bought it.

I don't know the details, but I have always suspected that this was the beginning of the long slow demise of small business, and the subsequent rise of supermarket power.

the old co-op store?

You are right of course - i went past this morning and realised it is the same building referred to earlier in the thread because of the adverts in the windows that still survive too. It's still a shop but is recognisable as a former attractive and vital local store.

Here's one for anyone who is familiar with the Walkley area.

This one time shop, now a house, had a unique sign over the door. I think it was the only signage on the shop. The people who converted it to a house saw fit to paint/render over the sign.

Part of the rendering has now cracked away, revealing part of a letter.

What does it say underneath ?

I'll not give the full address yet, as I suspect a "Google" will give the answer.

"Tripple A" should know, if he sees this post.

Here's one for anyone who is familiar with the Walkley area.

This one time shop, now a house, had a unique sign over the door. I think it was the only signage on the shop. The people who converted it to a house saw fit to paint/render over the sign.

Part of the rendering has now cracked away, revealing part of a letter.

What does it say underneath ?

I'll not give the full address yet, as I suspect a "Google" will give the answer.

"Tripple A" should know, if he sees this post.

attachicon.gif390.jpg

If its the one I'm thinking about vox it was the "open all hours" on the corner of Camm Street, we would pop in there when working the South Road 95 service. Seem to remember one or two of the old buses coughing a bit climbing up Highton Street. W/E.

I know where it is, not a clue what the lettering might be however, so I'll keep my trap shut. Unless of course it used to say "Bertha".