Painted Advertisements

Stuart0742

"Property Repaired" ...

I'll go along with that.

Now here's another with the middle missing, I guess it could be Williams off Green Lane.

Front view Green Lane

Williams Brothers or Bros. if I remember correctly.

Edit:

I went there a few times over the years. They sold nuts, bolts fasteners etc.

First you went to the trade counter to buy whatever it was you were after, then they gave you a chitty to take to the office where they calculated your bill, created a cash receipt and took your payment. Then you went back to the trade counter with the receipt and collected your goods.

To get from one department to another, in the maze of stairs, corridors and offices, you had to follow the various different coloured lines painted on the floor.

Without the lines, you would have wandered about lost and never been seen or heard of again. lol

George Williams, Nut and Bolt Manufacturer (Williams Brothers), 35 Green Lane (Kelly's 1893)

Williams Brothers, Brassfounder, Bolt & Nut, Nail, & anti-friction metal manufacturers (White's 1905)

Williams Brothers (Sheffield), Limited - Makers of gun metal. Phosphor Bronze, Manganese Bronze & Aluminiun Castings; large stock of Nails, screws, Bolts & Nuts &c; Ground Crucible Clays; agents for John Knowles & Co. (Wooden Box) Limited, Bricks & Derby Clay; The British Aluminium Co. Limited, Pure Ingots & Sheets &c; G. T. Earle Limited, Portland Cement). (Kelly's 1925)

Nuts and bolts indeed .... tsk.

They sold nuts, bolts fasteners etc.

Edit:

I went there a few times over the years. They sold nuts, bolts fasteners etc.

First you went to the trade counter to buy whatever it was you were after, then they gave you a chitty to take to the office where they calculated your bill, created a cash receipt and took your payment. Then you went back to the trade counter with the receipt and collected your goods.

To get from one department to another, in the maze of stairs, corridors and offices, you had to follow the various different coloured lines painted on the floor.

Without the lines, you would have wandered about lost and never been seen or heard of again. lol

Ha ha , follow the yellow brick road comes to mind.

Wortley Hall is a bit like that, you have to follow certain coloured carpets.

Ha ha , follow the yellow brick road comes to mind.

Wortley Hall is a bit like that, you have to follow certain coloured carpets.

There was an engineers supply company on Arundle Street, it could have been called Ashtons but my memory fails me on that one.

To get to the sales counter from the entrance you had to follow a set of carefully painted footsteps on the floor.

They went through the warehouse, up the stairs and along corridors to the counter.

I wonder if you were supposed to walks backwards to the entrance after you had been served ? :)

HD

From another thread

91, Spital Hill

attachicon.gif91, spital hill.jpg

Google Streetview

--------------------------Ltd

------------- ENGINEERS

--------------MAKERS

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/project-archive/burngreave-voices/spitalHill.html

_______HGEAR

CAPACITORS?

What about 'Johnson & Phillips Ltd.', electric cable manufacturers, 87 Spital Hill,

(1965 directory)

On this picture of the Beehive on West St you can just make out where the old sign stood, just under the roof line above the windows.

Took this pic today on Staniforth Road, Darnall.

This sort of advert was all over the place in the past but how many different ones are still visible in Sheffield today?

How many well known products, and not so well known, are there left?

Incidentally did people let the space outside their houses to companies, or did the outside of houses used in this way 'belong' to someone else such as the local authority?

Took this pic today on Staniforth Road, Darnall.

This sort of advert was all over the place in the past but how many different ones are still visible in Sheffield today?

How many well known products, and not so well known, are there left?

Incidentally did people let the space outside their houses to companies, or did the outside of houses used in this way 'belong' to someone else such as the local authority?

Topics merged

I have just read the whole of this thread and found it fascinating. Thanks to all those who have recorded these gradually fading signs for posterity before time completely erodes them.

In Wisbech, not far from where I now live, is a former brewery which has been converted into housing. But its sign "The Oak Brewery" has been carefully restored in the original style as part of the conversion. Are there examples in Sheffield of such old signs being repainted?

Athy

Posted Today, 11:09 AM

Are there examples in Sheffield of such old signs being repainted?

---------

Good question Athy.

Watch this space --- Although it may take some time lol

Swychers 207 Main Rd Darnall

Cash or Terms

attachicon.gifswycher.jpg

What did Swycher's sell

Much, much later! I pass this building reguarly and the advert is faded and covered by a roadside billboard. However on the opposite side of the address is the following writing; i can't make much out, but does it help with Swychers? (which i have never heard of)

Much, much later! I pass this building reguarly and the advert is faded and covered by a roadside billboard. However on the opposite side of the address is the following writing; i can't make much out, but does it help with Swychers? (which i have never heard of)

Swycher's sold furniture, they had a shop on the Wicker, next to the Big Gun PH.