Trams - getting the seats ready to go back t'other way

Sheffield History

Here's a couple of pictures that show the tram conductor walking down the tram.

What he's doing here (for those who haven't sussed it yet) is pushing the backs of the seat forward so that the seats then face t'other way - so the tram driver can simply walk to the other end of the tram and start driving back in the direction he just came !

Guest bus man

The tram is 523 - unless someone knows diffrently

The location could be abbeydale road , junction of abbey lane outside what was the post office just down from abbeydale industrial hamlet

Loved that video. Im afraid I dont remember the trams only Crich and Blackpool, I only just remember pound shillings and pence. But I still love watching trams.

Sue

Brilliant film. Location is Abbeydale Rd. We used to sit in that tram stop eating ice cream after playing and paddling in Millhouses Park.

Guest transit

The are proper seats too unlike the knee-hurting injection moulded rubbish we get today

Way of the world -unfortunately- i know the craftsman upholsterers of Central Works ,Queens Rd , used to take pride in repairing the odd moqette or leather upholstery (usually down to a *** burn!) that used to adorn our Sheffield Transport fleet of buses. No idiot stanleyblade ,marker pen wielding chavs around then! Thats the price we ALL have to pay for the introduction of the "plastic"seats.

I dont get to ride around on the buses much but it is noticable in Sheffield that the buses, where there is just the driver, are all damaged and dirty but the tram which has a conductor is clean and comfortable...with proper seats!!

Maybe the Clippie ought to be brought back for the motorbus too!

Vandalism aside, I actually prefer conductors because the journey is faster. Passengers don't hold up the bus by having to pay the driver and you can immediately step foot from the shelter and board instead of queueing to pay the driver whilst getting soaked in the rain.

And its alway nice to have a clippie to chat to.

My Grandad was a conductor for United Auto in County Durham in the sixties and seventies.

I can just about remember the last Conductors in Durham (Late seventies/ Early eighties).

It was alway nice to get straight on the bus and they'd usually come round and have a little natter, which left the bus a whole lot more friendly than they seem to be today.