Josephines Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

When I started going to night clubs with friends, aged around 16/17, in 1976/77, we pretty quickly discovered, there were three clubs worth paying to get in.

Turnups at Nether Edge was great during the week, largely because it was mostly local people, and there would always be people there that you knew.  It seemed a much more relaxed place because of that.

If you wanted a great night, listening to great music, you went to The Limit.  You could wear anything, even jeans, and it was about 30% cheaper than everywhere else.

But if you wanted to meet girls - the kind of girls we wanted to meet - girls you asked out on a date, you went to Josies.  I was hitting that place pretty hard on Fridays or Saturday nights for about three years, 1979, 80, 81.  I hated having to wear a suit and tie, and I really hated the cr@ppy disco music they played in there - years after disco music was as dead as a dodo, but that's what you had to do, and girls didn't dance to The Clash, or Elvis Costello.

I just don't recognise many of the comments and recollections above.  Maybe the gangsters and hookers came later?

From 1981, I was in a three year relationship, (met her in Josies), so stopped going.  I only went there another four or five times through the 80s.  By 1985, you could get in just wearing a shirt and trousers, but the shirt still had to have a collar.

Weirdly, we did go one more time, in around 2002 or 2003, on a night out in town, we decided to give it a try, for old times sake.  I can't say it had really changed in the previous 20 years.  It looked exactly the same, and they were still playing Michael Jackson and Bee Gees rubbish.

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 19.08.31.jpg

Photo of the DJ box in Josephines Nightclub in Sheffield City Centre

83489887_10217953663406240_8672566966751330304_n.jpg

Does anyone remember the name of the huge chap on the left? Was head doorman at Josephines I believe?

Anybody recognise him?

On 30/03/2020 at 19:09, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 19.08.31.jpg

Photo of the DJ box in Josephines Nightclub in Sheffield City Centre

I recognise the DJ as Pat Sweetwater,who used to DJ in London prior to taking this job in the 1970s

• Thanks 1

Worked there as a dj from 1989 to 1991 ...big jim was on the door then.. Maggie was manageress with bob bacon the club was full most nights including midweek with the drinks offers mitch who was a great dj was number 1 dj I used to cover his nights off the wine bar and restaurant did a good trade as well sometimes it was karaoke night in there but mainly for the better off people !! Used to get footballers and snooker players in there alot aswell...music was mainly 80s black soul classics luther vandross soul ll soul etc always busy dancefloor great times great tunes great Sheffield people and very very sadly missed ....

On 03/01/2011 at 22:42, Guest Jason H said:

I came across this forum completely by chance and had to sign up and give my 2 penneth, I was a DJ in Josies for about 18 months in the early 90's alongside Mitch (Sears) and have loads of great memories. I remember one particular Tuesday night, I was stood on the door with 'Big' Jim Moran (due to it being really quiet). Jim was the 7 feet tall giant of a man with the deepest voice I ever heard and hands the size of shovels. There was a guy walking towards the club who turned out to be Tony Barton from the stones bitter adverts (he'd been doing some promotion at a nearby bar) he came bounding up to Jim and shouted "ARE YOU OPEN YETI" just as he had in one of the adverts, Jim just picked him up, gave him a friendly bearhug and carried him into the club. Tony then walked up to the bar and ordered a lager saying he couldn't stomach any more of what he called 'that shyte' meaning the stones.

The next time I worked, i think it was the thursday, we were all informed that Jim had suffered a MASSIVE heart attack and died. I think the phrase they used was he was dead before he hit the ground, the company put a coach on for staff to attend his funeral which took place in Leeds where Jim lived. My only recollection of that day was the bright green suit that Mitch wore along with his red socks.

Josies was my first DJ gig and a great platform for me to be a DJ to this day, it was my only gig in Sheffield till 2005 (I went all over the world spinning those wheels of steel) and to this day I still work Nightclubs although they are a completely different animal these days.

I remember Bob Bacon, Maggie, Mick Mills on the door and loads of other faces which sadly have had their names removed from my head.

I set Bomber Graham's jacket on fire in a fire eating stunt that went wrong but that's a story for another time....

Jason u bad boy !! Get in touch...

I went to Josie's a lot between 1982 and 1985. Whilst there were some older medallion types you just avoided them. No sign of prostitution and always a great night out.  Loved it totally. If you were caught with a cigarette on the dancefloor huge bouncer picked you off. But hey it wad fun and always a good night out!

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 16:50, Sheffield History said:

83489887_10217953663406240_8672566966751330304_n.jpg

Does anyone remember the name of the huge chap on the left? Was head doorman at Josephines I believe?

Anybody recognise him?

Big Jim Moran and Rod johnson

On 04/01/2008 at 16:32, Guest Slimsid2000 said:

How prevelent was prostitution in Josephines? I only ever went two or three times in 1993/4 and had no idea there were prostitutes there.

Were they a regular feature of the club or were they just one offs?

Poeple from all walks of life enjoyed Jose's and any venue could be abused but at Jose's all were out to enjoy themselves and if shall we say anytransactions like most clubs it would have been spotted.early 80s my favourite