Sharrow Hurst

Bayleaf

Can anyone tell me please where Sharrow Hurst is or was? I'm guessing it is or was a house, but where was it? (One for Plain Talker perhaps? :) )

It sounds like the name of a house, but there is nothing of that name on the 1905 maps. A lot of the large detached houses in the Psalter lane, Cherry Tree Hill and Kenwood area do have names...but just as many don't. Nothing to be seen on the 1850s map either. Where is the reference from ?

Can anyone tell me please where Sharrow Hurst is or was? I'm guessing it is or was a house, but where was it? (One for Plain Talker perhaps? :) )

Hurst means Wooded Hill.

Could it be Sharrow Knoll?

A guess...

According to this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=jLEWAAAAIAAJ

Seaton Hall Bedford was the son of Henry Hall Bedford, steel manufacturer, of Sharrow Hurst, Sheffield

The date of that is 1907. In the 1901 census they were living at 6 Sharrow View (which appears behind Sharrow Knoll on the 1950s OS map), so that might be the place.

Jeremy

Bedford is still at 6 Sharrow View in White's 1919/20 Directory.

see Map 270

The only reference I can find to Sharrow Hurst in the indexes I have (including burials) is to this man:

Burial at All SS, Ecclesall

COLLEY Francis William 7 Oct 1881 Sharrow Hurst 53

In the 1881 census this man (a tanner and currier employing 42 men and 3 boys) is in an unnumbered or named house, listed as in Sharrow Lane. This is listed in the census between 345 Sharrow Lane and 3 Kenwood Road . As can be seen from the map, the latter address is Sharrow Knoll. Number 6 Sharrow View is about the same size as Sharrow Knoll, with substantial outbuildings. All in all I think this supports the idea that no. 6 is Sharrow Hurst.

Looking at GoogleEarth I think that at least one of the outbuildings survives but the main house has gone.

Hugh

I also found some references to a Thomas Carrington of Sharrow Hurst in the 1890s(ish). The best guess that I can find for this person in the 1881 & 1891 censuses are at Endcliffe Crescent. However, Kelly's 1893 directory has Thomas Carrington, Sharrow View, Sharrow.

Jeremy

Thanks everybody, I knew this was the place to come! I got the address from some information Dean sent me about Seaton Hall Bedford who was killed in the 1st WW, and it gave this as his address.

Thanks everybody, I knew this was the place to come! I got the address from some information Dean sent me about Seaton Hall Bedford who was killed in the 1st WW, and it gave this as his address.

Went this morning at 8 30. The site is now all new flats although The Knoll is still there. I would have taken a photo but there were too many trees.

Went this morning at 8 30. The site is now all new flats although The Knoll is still there. I would have taken a photo but there were too many trees.

Thanks Poppy, that was very kind of you!

Guest Tiggercat

Thanks Poppy, that was very kind of you!

Hi there. I live across the road so just thought I'd clarify. Sharrow Hurst was no. 6 Sharrow View but has since been knocked down and replaced with flats, although the old outbuildings (stables?) remain behind. Sharrow Knoll was the big house next door but listed on Kenwood Road. This is still standing but is now split into flats and its gardens built over with new houses.

By the way does anyone know of a building on Rundle Road called "Kenwood Knoll"? It is listed on the 1911 census - when there were only a handful of properties built on Rundle Road, but I cannot find any reference to it since then. I live at 1 Rundle Road and wondered if it was one and the same as our house was built in 1893?

Hi there. I live across the road so just thought I'd clarify. Sharrow Hurst was no. 6 Sharrow View but has since been knocked down and replaced with flats, although the old outbuildings (stables?) remain behind. Sharrow Knoll was the big house next door but listed on Kenwood Road. This is still standing but is now split into flats and its gardens built over with new houses.

By the way does anyone know of a building on Rundle Road called "Kenwood Knoll"? It is listed on the 1911 census - when there were only a handful of properties built on Rundle Road, but I cannot find any reference to it since then. I live at 1 Rundle Road and wondered if it was one and the same as our house was built in 1893?

Hello and welcome Tigercat,

this is part of Rundle Road in 1905,

but no named building just a Lodge at number 4.

Guest Tiggercat

And it looks to be much the same in 1951,

this taken from map #267, shows the house/buildings numbers.

Hi Steve HB, thanks for the info. In 1905 there were only 4 houses on Rundle Rd as far as I can tell, No 1 (ours) 9, 11 & Spring Leigh. Plus the North Lodge to Kenwood Park across the road. Yet in the 1911 census there is definitely a house listed as "Kenwood Knoll" and I'm really interested to find out which one it is. I suspect it may be our house as its at the top of the hill and set apart at that time.

Hi Steve HB, thanks for the info. In 1905 there were only 4 houses on Rundle Rd as far as I can tell, No 1 (ours) 9, 11 & Spring Leigh. Plus the North Lodge to Kenwood Park across the road. Yet in the 1911 census there is definitely a house listed as "Kenwood Knoll" and I'm really interested to find out which one it is. I suspect it may be our house as its at the top of the hill and set apart at that time.

That's a strange looking house, looks like an arrowhead in plan. It also seems to be 51 Kenwood Park road - is it semi-detached ?

I ran into this topic again searching for something else.

Anyway, White's 1911 directory lists three properties on Rundle Road:

The order--Kenwood Park Road, Kenwood Knoll, Coniston, The Hawthorns, Kenbourne Road would suggest that number 1 is indeed Kenwood Knoll

Guest Johnbax

Charles Flockton who lived at Kenwood Knoll in 1911 was the third in this family of Sheffield architects (see Wikipedia). His grandfather William did Kenwood Hall for George Wolstenholme, including the gatehouse and lodge across the road from Kenwood Knoll. (Thomas was the one in between - he designed the Mappin Art Gallery among other things). Maybe they built it for themselves to live in? If it does date back to the 1860s as the listing data suggests, then it was probably designed by Thomas F. Both these buildings are listed.

I met my wife at a party in Kenwood Knoll in 1971...

Colley, John Herbert.
College: CLARE
Entered: Michs. 1891
Born:
Died:
Adm. at CLARE, Mar. 21, 1891. S. of Mrs Colley, of Sharrow Hurst, Sheffield.
B. Aug. 1871. School, Uppingham. Matric. Michs. 1891; Exhibitioner; B.A.
1894. Of Oak Lea, Collegiate Crescent, Sheffield.

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900

Source

Guest Tiggercat

Re Johnbax. Its nioce to hear you met you wife in our house, I wondered if you know much about the building at that time i.e. who owned it and its condition? If you had any old photos taht would be really interesting too!!

I am pretty sure that Sharrow Hurst is now in Japan.  I remember that a house was removed stone by stone and exported to Japan some years ago, pre-Conservation Area.  At the time I was horrified but very busy with other things.  However, the story has haunted me and now that I have more time I have started to investigate.  I was pretty sure it was on Sharrow View and started to ask a few questions locally.  Today, at the Nether Edge Farmers Market, my husband (manning the N E History Group stall) met the people who live at the Coach House and they have important information about the old house.  Hope to visit them within the next fortnight, although a bit preoccupied with family matters at the moment.

I also found some references to a Thomas Carrington of Sharrow Hurst in the 1890s(ish). The best guess that I can find for this person in the 1881 & 1891 censuses are at Endcliffe Crescent. However, Kelly's 1893 directory has Thomas Carrington, Sharrow View, Sharrow.

Jeremy

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Thursday, July 02, 1896

Mr Thomas Carrington of Sharrow Hurst.

Born 5th October 1841.

Died 7th June 1896.

Managing Director of Kiveton Park Colliery.