Bridge Street Bus Station

Guest bus man

On 30/03/2017 at 18:11, lysander said:

I remember the buses to Shiregreen being the 150 which ran up Bellhouse Rd from Firth Park, round the estate and then down Sicey Avenue to Firth Park and the 151 which went around the estate in the opposite direction. They met in the heartlands of the estate at a place with a clock where they either rushed off if they were late or waited till they were scheduled to leave. Many a poor passenger would see one waiting but as he/she reached the backloader they would hear the bell ringing and it was off!

As an18 year old, I worked conducting on the 150/151's which were based at Townhead Street garage, and on one daily duty, the buses didn't just circulate the estate in either direction (150's one way round, 151's the opposite) and then return to town, they did quite a number of mind-numbing trips round, and round again from Bellhouse Road/ Sicey Avenue junction, which trips were known by crews as 'Round the Houses', very boring, they were hated, especially in that freezing winter of 1963 on those open platforms when even with the uniform winter great coat on you were shivering. 

Back then, those Shiregreen routes were worked almost 100% by Leyland PD2's, like this one (this on a different route, of course) . . . . 

image.png.06e6c65ed7e339099bf7d1e9047de6a1.png

• Like 1

I was a regular user of the 150/151 bus routes from 1954 until 1965 and have to confess I never knew of the “ round the houses” operation. Of course , the normal route took both to town at Bridge Street.