Bridge Street Bus Station

Guest bus man

It wasn't very popular with passengers either, especially if you had to struggle from the markets or High street with heavy bags of shopping on a wet and windy winter's day !

I believe it was 'plonked' there to stop too many buses going into the town centre ?

Some of you may enjoy this

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/img217.jpg

who remembers bridge st then one former driver said he hated goinginto to bridge st with jumbos as they didnt have power steering

Heavy steering was not such a problem at first. It was only after a year or so in service when radial tyres replaced the Dunlop crossplys that we started to complain. The later batch of Jumbos 642/681 were a joy to drive thanks to transport minister Barbara Castle, who had decreed that to qualify for the 25% bus grant all buses over 30 ft long must be fitted with PAS. Then, what did STD do? after all the 33 ft Leyland and Fleetline orders had been delivered they reverted back to 30 ft buses and no PAS. At the risk of being sexist, if it had not been for the fact that lady bus drivers were on the horizon in the not too distant future any further buses with PAS would have been a long time coming in Sheffield.

It wasn't very popular with passengers either, especially if you had to struggle from the markets or High street with heavy bags of shopping on a wet and windy winter's day !

I believe it was 'plonked' there to stop too many buses going into the town centre ?

If that was the case, they should bring it back and get rid of some buses from High Street.

They were called satellite bus stations. Bridge Street, Campo Lane, Castlegate, Exchange Street, Leopold Street. Trippet Lane, and for a while Barkers Pool [services2/59]. They all worked well and did keep a lot of traffic out of the city centre.When the City Clipper started all these stations were linked up with the Central Bus Station and Midland Station.

Guest bus man

I suspect it was a matter of the land was availble so it ended up there, one thing which hasnt been mentioned is that part of the bus station was a public road I cant find the name of it at the moment but it definatley had a name, the street name was on the side of the newspaper kiosk

I suspect it was a matter of the land was availble so it ended up there, one thing which hasnt been mentioned is that part of the bus station was a public road I cant find the name of it at the moment but it definatley had a name, the street name was on the side of the newspaper kiosk

Coulston Street ring any bells ?

who remembers bridge st then one former driver said he hated goinginto to bridge st with jumbos as they didnt have power steering

I remember that very well - for a time in the late 1970s we lived near Page Hall/FirVale and I had started school on Colley on Parson Cross. Anyway there wasn't a bus I could easily get so I used to get the 47 or 48 to Bridge Street and then another to Parson Cross -would I have got that number bus to School?

Best days of your life!!! lol

Guest plain talker

I remember that very well - for a time in the late 1970s we lived near Page Hall/FirVale and I had started school on Colley on Parson Cross. Anyway there wasn't a bus I could easily get so I used to get the 47 or 48 to Bridge Street and then another to Parson Cross -would I have got that number bus to School?

Best days of your life!!! lol

when I lived off wordsworth ave in the very early eighties, one of the buses that used to go along Wordsworth avenue was the 79, which I used to catch from Bridge Street. so it may very well have been that route number you used.

when I lived off wordsworth ave in the very early eighties, one of the buses that used to go along Wordsworth avenue was the 79, which I used to catch from Bridge Street. so it may very well have been that route number you used.

Thanks PT!

Guest transit

.... heres some more pics ,with the jumbos when new (around'69) -the newer ones having the larger windscreen ...also remember the inspectors wooden hut ! lol

.... heres some more pics ,with the jumbos when new (around'69) -the newer ones having the larger windscreen ...also remember the inspectors wooden hut ! lol

Nice to see pics of buses in the old livery and especially the old back loader. Often used to wonder what went on in the inspectors hut - did they have a kitchen in there ;-)

Guest transit

Nice to see pics of buses in the old livery and especially the old back loader. Often used to wonder what went on in the inspectors hut - did they have a kitchen in there ;-)

...cant tell off the pictures ,but apparently there were no seats , just a worktop fastened at an angle to work off -or lean on !!!!!! lol

Guest bus man

If you look very carefully at the nearside picture of the dual door bus you will notice a speaker on the pillar between the front door and the first window ie before the middle door.

This was installed in several batches of buses when one man was first introdued the idea was for the driver to be able to give instruction to intending passangers, these specifications were not done on latter buses .

I walked past "Bridge Street" Bus Station yesterday, you would not know it existed.

Here are few photo's taken yesterday

There is just one reminder of the past

Guest transit

I walked past "Bridge Street" Bus Station yesterday, you would not know it existed.

Here are few photo's taken yesterday

There is just one reminder of the past

...this picture of yours Stuart and the one of mine make a good "then & now"comparison - the only clue is the bit of buildings top left :( .....

...this picture of yours Stuart and the one of mine make a good "then & now"comparison - the only clue is the bit of buildings top left :( .....

Transit, what year is your picture?

Guest transit

Transit, what year is your picture?

Thanks for "tying" the pics together Stuart - my picture is from 1969 , so you could say almost 40 year difference ,although it only seems like yesterday !!!!!

Two more of the old bus loop. The one on the right is another J.R. Wrigley picture.

Iused to catch the 151 (later to become the 48) from there and my wife then girlfriend the 89. We still laugh about the 11.15 pm whistle and the way the buses raced out onto the main road all jostleing for position. The one thing that isn't missed from though are the public toilets I shudder just thinking about how bad they were.

Two more of the old bus loop. The one on the right is another J.R. Wrigley picture.

Iused to catch the 151 (later to become the 48) from there and my wife then girlfriend the 89. We still laugh about the 11.15 pm whistle and the way the buses raced out onto the main road all jostleing for position. The one thing that isn't missed from though are the public toilets I shudder just thinking about how bad they were.

I have a "Now" photo for the 1st 1 of these 2, but there is no comparison, watch this space

Guest bus man

I have a "Now" photo for the 1st 1 of these 2, but there is no comparison, watch this space

On the lower one there is one of the STD canteen buses - the caption in the book as the date wrong it implies the 1970s which is too late as the buses were withdrawn late 1960s and replaced by vending machines at various sites : bridge st, a room in the education building on leopold st cbs, castle sq etc

Guest bus man

If that was the case, they should bring it back and get rid of some buses from High Street.

But the number of buses is lower now than before supertram as all the buses that went DOWN high st now use, Arundle Gate.

I dont think joe public would like to walk to bridge street instead of catching buses in town centre

But the number of buses is lower now than before supertram as all the buses that went DOWN high st now use, Arundle Gate.

I dont think joe public would like to walk to bridge street instead of catching buses in town centre

I appreciate that, I am just not a fan of the current use of High St and Arundel Gate as "Bus Stations" Do any buses still use Pond Street, when I walk through there, you don't see a lot of buses.

I think the Sheffield planners have missed something somewhere

Rant over

Now taken 21/11/08

aslo posted into Then & Now