Murder - Charles Peace

RichardB

Hexham Police think they have their man

In JR Wrigley's "East End Camera" there are a couple of Photos of Dyson's grave which is in Tinsley Churchyard. Just from a morbid point of view - I wonder what the inscription is ? :huh:

Hexham Police think they have their man

Wrong man arrested in Hexham, £100 reward offered

December 1876

13th December 1876

Buried in the walls of Armley Goal ???

Having said that, we've three different spellings of Brideswell in five lines of text.

Extract :

In the late 1800’s a prisoner called Charlie Peace was sent in leg-irons surrounded by six guards from Armley gaol to the Brideswell to await his trial. Peace was a notorious criminal, both burgler and murderer. He had taken the life of a man called Arthur Dyson, he also attempted to murder a policeman in London. The next morning, which was Tuesday 25th February 1879 he was condemned to death for murdering Arthur Dyson, he was taken back to Armley gaol and at 8am he was hanged for his crimes; he was later buried in the walls of Armley Gaol which was on unconsecrated ground. He body may still be there.

Link :

http://thepsychicinvestigator.moonfruit.co...ings/4519699364

<Don't believe a word - Thin Lizzy !>

Peace Living in London with a woman called Thompson

But is this woman really Dyson's wife

12th November 1878

13th November 1878

13th November 1878

Mrs Peace charged with handling stolen goods

Mrs Peace is said to have travelled to London to obtain goods from her husband's burgalry jobs

All from 15th November 1878

Buried in the walls of Armley Goal ???

Having said that, we've three different spellings of Brideswell in five lines of text.

Extract :

In the late 1800’s a prisoner called Charlie Peace was sent in leg-irons surrounded by six guards from Armley gaol to the Brideswell to await his trial. Peace was a notorious criminal, both burgler and murderer. He had taken the life of a man called Arthur Dyson, he also attempted to murder a policeman in London. The next morning, which was Tuesday 25th February 1879 he was condemned to death for murdering Arthur Dyson, he was taken back to Armley gaol and at 8am he was hanged for his crimes; he was later buried in the walls of Armley Gaol which was on unconsecrated ground. He body may still be there.

Link :

ere made to Armley Jail.

http://thepsychicinvestigator.moonfruit.co...ings/4519699364

<Don't believe a word - Thin Lizzy !>

I think that means buried within the walls of the prison. His body is not there now it was moved along with others when alterations were made to Armley Jail

I think that means buried within the walls of the prison. His body is not there now it was moved along with others when alterations were made to Armley Jail

That makes sense considering other comments about his burial; where is he buried ?? When was he born ? etc ?

That makes sense considering other comments about his burial; where is he buried ?? When was he born ? etc ?

His last resting place was not disclosed by the authorities as far as I am aware. He was born on the 14th May 1832 in Angel Court which was on Nursery Street, the Court is long gone. He attended a school on Pitsmoor Rd, thats still there opposite the Tollgate Inn with a more modern frontage on it. He also went to a school in Paradise Sq, the building is probably still there but I dont know which one it is. It was known as Hebblethwaites.

Mrs Peace charged with handling stolen goods

Mrs Peace is said to have travelled to London to obtain goods from her husband's burgalry jobs

All from 15th November 1878

Peace becomes Thompson and lives in Peckham with a woman he called his wife

(was she Mrs Dyson?)

She later "Peached" on him, after he was arrested for the Blackheath Burglaries, he was then known as John Ward

17th November 1878

Charles Peace alias John Ward wrote a letter from his Newgate Prison Cell to a gentleman in Sheffield

"for the sake of his wife"

18th November 1878

Charles Peace indited for the Blackheath burglaries and felonious shooting

It is now thought that Mrs Thompson and Mrs Dyson are not the same person

Dyson is thought to be in America, the case of her husband's murder depends on her evidence

23rd November 1878

I was hoping to find that photo - great stuff.

Let's make the SheffieldHistory Charlie Peace Experience better than anyone other - or at least have a good shot at it.

Charles Peace charged with the murder of Arthur Dyson

18th January 1879

The Grand Jury returned a "True Bill" against Hannah Peace

19th January 1879

I take it that means she was found guilty