Murder - Charles Peace

RichardB

Quite a lot of detail here; hope for much more.

See "The Sheffield Murders" 1865 -1965" by David Bentley, published 2003 byALD Design & Print, Sharrow Vale Road Sheffield Chapter 2 "The Banner Cross Murder _ Charlie Peace, 1876" for details of Charlie Peace, his crimes, court case and execution.

Charles Peace 1832 - 1879

Charles Peace

As Richard Says more to come, this should wet your appetite

Interesting link to a good site Stuart, I wondered where all the information was coming from, including pictures, for that murder thread!

The last picture of Charlie Peace on the gallows reminds me of an old Black & White silent film about him where he is hung in the last scene on what seems to be a rope with a very long drop. Of course he drops completely below the trap door so you can't see him but it gives the impression he dropped a long way. In reality the long rope was probably to give the actor a safe landing on a matress or something below the trap door before the rope could pull tight and was still slack. Then there was those machines at the seaside that you put 1d in and it animated the execution sequence, Oops sorry, getting carried away there, at school before 1965 I always wanted to be the public hangman but as we didin't leave until 1972 I had to be a schoolteacher instead!

The Burglaries at Blackheath-

At Sheffield Town Hall, yesterday,Hannah Peace, wife of Charles Peace,

now awaiting his trial for the burglaries at Blackheath and elswhere, was brought up, on remand,

charged with having recieved the stolen property obtained by Peace.

It had been ascertained that the prisoner visited her husband in London about the time when the burglaries were commited,

and returned to Sheffield with two boxes filled with their proceeds.

The goods were found hidden in her house at Darnall by Inspector Phillips, of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The Chief Constable of Sheffield, in applying for a further remand yesterday, stated that property derived from no less than

six burglaries had been identified, and that house-holders in the Greenwich district were daily owning the articles removed

from Sheffield by the police as part of the property obtained by Peace's burglaries.

The prisoner was remanded for a week, and in all probability will be tried in London.

Yesterday Inspector Phillips searched the houses of relatives of Peace who live in Brightside.

There he found a large assortment of property, including costly sealskin jackets, silk dresses,

silk jackets trimmed with fur and lace, slippers, silk stockings, and other valuable goods.

They were all taken possession of, as they are believed to be the proceeds of burglaries and robberies committed by Peace.

Interesting link to a good site Stuart, I wondered where all the information was coming from, including pictures, for that murder thread!

Certainly not from that site ! nver heard of it - till now lol

Guest plain talker

The WEA are doing a ten-week course about Peace and his crimes, looking at the society of the day and the justice system back then etc, this starts in January at The Circle, Rockingham Lane Sheffield City Centre.

It sounds great, I've signed up for it.

The WEA are doing a ten-week course about Peace and his crimes, looking at the society of the day and the justice system back then etc, this starts in January at The Circle, Rockingham Lane Sheffield City Centre.

It sounds great, I've signed up for it.

I suppose I should know or perhaps not what does WEA stand for, am I having a thick moment

I suppose I should know or perhaps not what does WEA stand for, am I having a thick moment

Come on Stuart, imagine we were doing the boozer quiz in the Foxwood or Mother Redcap on a Wednesday night and that came up.

WEA stands for Workers Educational Association and you can find out more here

http://www.wea.org.uk/

Came across this print from Illustrated London News - maybe on here already? Anyway Peace the Prisoner arrives at Town Hall.

Came across this print from Illustrated London News - maybe on here already? Anyway Peace the Prisoner arrives at Town Hall.

The "Town Hall" is of course the old town hall building in Waingate. There are some excellent pictures of this, old and new, in the Waingate thread.

There is a tad more to come here, data with Steve and Stuart - I know how much effort it took to get ... hopefully coming soon.

MURDER MURDER Read All About it

29th November 1876

Arthur Dyson found murdered

Altough the cutting refers to Henry Dyson

Do you have access to a scanner ? If not, I'm sure one of the Sheffield-based Admins can get it scanned for you; looking forward to seeing it.

Once its scanned you can post it yourself or PM or email it to anyone

Me :

Richard.Brant@Gmail.com

and Richard.Brant@amec.com

Same goes for anyone else needing anything scanned/posted, I'm not exactly local but there are plenty of people who are and who can help.

Thank You.

29th November 1876

That gives the date of the Murder then, 28th November 1876 now we just need some photographic evidence of the bullet holes supposedly to be found in the alleyway ...

29th November 1876

Update to the Dyson Murder, Charles Peace named as the suspect

1st December 1876