Murder - Charles Peace

RichardB

Hi,

I found this if its any interest., A focus on Mr Dyson. It has an apology from a Charlie Peace descendent at the end.

http://family-tree.co.uk/familyblogs/bessie/2010/03/20/pages-from-the-archives-of-the-dyson-family-part-one-the-murder-of-arthur-dyson-at-banner-cross-sheffield-in-1876/

Guest plain talker

Hi All,
I'm a new member based in Manchester and am doing some research into the murder of PC Cock by Charles Peace .

I'm very keen to learn more about Peaces's times in Manchester such as where he was living and accomplaces whilst he was there etc etc.

If theres anyone who can spread any light on the subject i would be very pleased to hear from them.

I do not believe he lived in Manchester , but was based in Sheffield, and "commuted" to Manchester to commit his crimes.

This was made possible by the burgeoning rail network of the time.

Peace later moved to London after the murders of PC Cock and Mr Dyson, and lived the same duplicitous life as before.

This is such an amazing story. I wonder why no one has made it into a full length drama. I mean a Lion tamer, a violinist, a cat burglar and.a master of disguise .

This is such an amazing story. I wonder why no one has made it into a full length drama. I mean a Lion tamer, a violinist, a cat burglar and.a master of disguise .

I've often thought that. Now if he'd come from the East End of London......

Guest plain talker

I found this years ago- local studies . Relics of Peace. I wonder if they still exist?

there are examples of Peace's tools of the trade in the Black Museum, at Scotland Yard.

he designed a lamp that had a hinged cover which could hide the light inside, there was also his pistol, and there's an ingenious ladder that he made, which collapsed into an innocuous looking plank of wood it was so well turned.

In JR Wrigley's "East End Camera" there are a couple of Photos of Dyson's grave which is in Tinsley Churchyard. Just from a morbid point of view - I wonder what the inscription is ?

Anyone know exactly where the grave is ? I will take a photo and post on this forum

Thanks

Mike

Anyone know exactly where the grave is ? I will take a photo and post on this forum

Thanks

Mike

Well this is rather odd. Photo below of his "grave" except I am assured he is buried at Ecclesall Church. Trouble is no one can find it.

Either the words are obliterated or it was unmarked?

Hopefully someone will pick up on that and provide the answer.

"true bill n. the written decision of a grand jury (signed by the grand jury foreperson) that it has heard sufficient evidence from the prosecution to believe that an accused person probably committed a crime and should be indicted. Thus, the indictment is sent to the court. "

(Better late than never!)

Sounds like what the DPP do now.

Here's an annotated photo of the current appearance of the Dyson murder site (courtesy of Google). The right hand side is Banner Cross Terrace (the Banner Cross Hotel is at the extreme right hand end). The left hand side is a terrace of four houses adjacent to Marmion Road, built between 1895 and 1904. The closet block and yard, where the murder took place, were built over to form the very narrow shop premises, sometime after the 1950 Ordnance Survey.

Found this Ballad. It suggests Charlie was not really that bad. It seems to be unknown in Sheffield?

Reproduced with permission from materials on loan to the National Library of Scotland from the Balcarres Heritage Trust.

http://digital.nls.u...e=transcription

The ballads of Jessie James and of Robin Hood also suggest that they were not really that bad and that they they were some sort of local heros rather than just criminals working outsude the Law.

Why does anyone want to glorify crime?

The ballads of Jessie James and of Robin Hood also suggest that they were not really that bad and that they they were some sort of local heros rather than just criminals working outsude the Law.

Why does anyone want to glorify crime?

Didn't the same happen with Billy the Kid, and Ned Kelly? Maybe Thylacine could enlightening us, (not suggesting he was around at the time!)

Didn't the same happen with Billy the Kid, and Ned Kelly? Maybe Thylacine could enlightening us, (not suggesting he was around at the time!)

I thought "Billy the Kid" was a goat.

Ned Kelly wore a bucket on his head, - had he been in wild west America and not Australia the Native American Indians would have called him "pailface" lol

I thought "Billy the Kid" was a goat.

Ned Kelly wore a bucket on his head, - had he been in wild west America and not Australia the Native American Indians would have called him "pailface" lol

Lost for words... :huh: ^_^

Lost for words... :huh:^_^

Sorry Bayleaf,

Sometimes Jokes and silly comments get the better of me.

It's a teacher thing, - keeps the kids attention because they don't know what I'm going to come out with next! ;-)

I notice the Bucket was designed to accommodate the Beard.

http://www.ripefruit...s/ned_kelly.htm

If he wore the bucket to protect himself from gunshots to the head what did he wear to protect the rest of his body?

Was it like a full suit of armour? (The picture on the link indicates a partial suit of home made armour)

Or, like Achilles in Greek mythology were some parts of his body left vulnerable and they would eventually lead to his downfall?

J P Bean is giving a talk about Charlie Peace entitled "The Scoundrel, Charlie Peace" at the Stag in Psalter Lane, Tuesday December 4th 8pm. Admission free, collection in aid of Cancer Research.

On 17/11/2008 at 4:42 PM, plain talker said:

The WEA are doing a ten-week course about Peace and his crimes, looking at the society of the day and the justice system back then etc, this starts in January at The Circle, Rockingham Lane Sheffield City Centre.

It sounds great, I've signed up for it.

I wonder, did you do this course? I  am currently looking at the case - from the victims point of view