What happened to the OPEN AIR SCHOOL RECUPERATING CHILDREN on Gloucester Crec; Broomhill

Guest skeets

Gloucester Crescent is a 'spur' that comes off the bottom of Gloucester St as it curves to head for Dorset Street. We don't have a map of Gloucester Cres. but the school is on the right hand edge of Map 231.

That map is dated 1951 and the school is called Springvale House Special school (Delicate Children)

I believe I have read a discussion of this school somewhere, possibly at SheffieldForum - I will see if I can find it.

Yes - SheffieldForum thread

Hugh

I don't know if it still is, but when I went to King Edward VII school ('80-'82) Springvale was the languages building and had a common room for the 6th form.

Guest carlie167

I was born on Gloucester Crescent and lived there for a few years, and remember my mum telling me she went to this school.

I can see now the beds brought out for the children to have their afternoon naps and I thought what a great school and why couldnt I go there!

Sadly, as is always the way, I never asked enough questions about it and now she is no longer with us.

So, if anyone has any information or memories to share, that would be wonderful. By the way, I feel sure the school has been demolished for housing along with the house I lived in. :(

Guest telmam2

not on google earth map. i went there in 50/60,s . used to be old cottages on gloucester st. demolished about 1960 ish.

believe its been demolished. nice bit of land.

Guest alan1927

I am now 82 years old, and my time at Springvale House is, like so many other things, like a distant dream, I attended Springvale House for two periods, from 1934 to 1936, and 1938 to 1940.

During the second period, Miss Wolstenholme was Headmistress, though she also took class one which Miss Calvert had not. Miss Lomas ,took class two, Miss Maynard took class three, and a kindly elderly teacher by the name of Miss Fairest took class four which was for the youngest pupils and which was held in the house and thus was spared some of the rigours which most of us endured.

I would be pleased and surprised to hear from any surviving class mates of those years.

Should anyone wish to read a fuller account of my recollections of Springvale House, I would be pleased to email a chapter from my memoirs.

I am now 82 years old, and my time at Springvale House is, like so many other things, like a distant dream, I attended Springvale House for two periods, from 1934 to 1936, and 1938 to 1940.

During the second period, Miss Wolstenholme was Headmistress, though she also took class one which Miss Calvert had not. Miss Lomas ,took class two, Miss Maynard took class three, and a kindly elderly teacher by the name of Miss Fairest took class four which was for the youngest pupils and which was held in the house and thus was spared some of the rigours which most of us endured.

I would be pleased and surprised to hear from any surviving class mates of those years.

Should anyone wish to read a fuller account of my recollections of Springvale House, I would be pleased to email a chapter from my memoirs.

My sister attended this school from around 1949/1955 and would love anything which would jog her memory.

email bmallinder@gmx.co.uk

Miss Wass, former headmistress of Springvale House Open Air School. Date1996/11/09. s34817.jpg.ea07d98ff8e0f6cbab2d471670e798df.jpgs34817

Photographer, C. Woodhouse. 

All following photographs pre 1968. Activities in the grounds of Springvale. s30496.jpg.2bd80ecace28a8cb02de53430d1c2961.jpgs03496

s30497.jpg.16c0deb54996a4fa7b0f2bd6e6bcbd45.jpgs03497

s30495.jpg.0e3e498a54c55f79f2e08c05b155b3d7.jpgs03495

s30502.jpg.3819c02ec31999ae3ef0bbe801b3cc60.jpgs30542

There are more photographs of the children's activites inside and outside Springvale on the Picture Sheffield website. 

https://picturesheffield.com