Queen's Road Goods and Coal Depot

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The railways goods/coal yard or depot on Queen's Road was the home of, or base for, a number of well-known Sheffield coal merchants up to sometime in the late 1950s or early 60s. I can remember W H Hewitt's, Ward & Longbottom's (?), etc. It was a very busy place at one time. Does anyone have any memories of the place? I have searched for some pictures, showing the coal waggons, the coal lorries and the row of coal merchants' offices, but I have never found one. The entrance faced across to Duchess Road (?).

The railways goods/coal yard or depot on Queen's Road was the home of, or base for, a number of well-known Sheffield coal merchants up to sometime in the late 1950s or early 60s. I can remember W H Hewitt's, Ward & Longbottom's (?), etc. It was a very busy place at one time. Does anyone have any memories of the place? I have searched for some pictures, showing the coal waggons, the coal lorries and the row of coal merchants' offices, but I have never found one. The entrance faced across to Duchess Road (?).

I remember it from the sixties onwards, as a Goods Yard , then an Arnold Lavers Yard and finally as B & Q. I have checked my books and can not find any photo's either

I do remember a serious fire there late one night in the late 60's, my father took us to watch from our home on Leadmill Rd, sure Steve will remember that fire as well.

Map 12 covers part of the area

Sorry this is no help with the Coal Merchants

I remember it from the sixties onwards, as a Goods Yard , then an Arnold Lavers Yard and finally as B & Q. I have checked my books and can not find any photo's either

I do remember a serious fire there late one night in the late 60's, my father took us to watch from our home on Leadmill Rd, sure Steve will remember that fire as well.

1925 kelly's shows a William Henry Hewitt as coal merchant at Queens Rd, home address 98 Alderson Rd

My rapidly decomposing brain doesn't seem to recall the fire !

However I do seem to recolect the Goods Yard being used as a Fairground pitch,

sometime in the mid 60's

But I do seem to recall the Goods Yard being used as a Fairground pitch,

sometime in the mid 60's

I have the same problem, all I can remember is that it was late at night, 11 ish, it seemed late in them days

I have the same problem, all I can remember is that it was late at night, 11 ish, it seemed late in them days

After the man Hewitt ran the firm, it passed to a man called Ted Noon. Ted was joined by his son Len in later years.

However I do seem to recolect the Goods Yard being used as a Fairground pitch,

sometime in the mid 60's

The Goods Yard closed on 11th May 1963. The only photograph of the Goods Yard I have found is a railway photo, on page 25 of Railways of Sheffield by Stephen Batty (Ian Allan, 1994).

As to pictures of the building and road-side photos, I have drawn a complete blank as well, even working on the basis of seeing the depot in the background of a tram or bus photo.

Guest pidd

The Goods Yard closed on 11th May 1963. The only photograph of the Goods Yard I have found is a railway photo, on page 25 of Railways of Sheffield by Stephen Batty (Ian Allan, 1994).

As to pictures of the building and road-side photos, I have drawn a complete blank as well, even working on the basis of seeing the depot in the background of a tram or bus photo.

there was anther coalyard at the end of bernard rd past st johns church,i used to go there aged 13 with pram from bard st to get brickets.any info?

Guest tsavo

A not too helpful picture here: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u04533&pos=1&action=zoom&id=39638

and here:http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u04532&pos=1&action=zoom&id=39637

Another photo which gives a glimpse of the goods yard is here:

http://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/photos/photo/?id=4666

As a matter of interest (perhaps), in 1956 the following down freight services were timetabled for Queens Road Goods Depot (weekdays). this is an rtf file: hopefully the formatting will work properly.

queensroaddown1956.rtf

There were, obviously, a similar number of scheduled services in the up direction. I have no idea what these trains would be hauling.

I find it interesting how many trains call at Queens Road and then continue onwards, this of course involving the train having to be reversed out of the depot onto the main line in the southbound direction, before heading northbound again, no doubt using a shunting/pilot locomotive.

for this reason, and looking at the film here. The intersting stuff starts at about 2 minutes. (big thanks to Dickdioxide for finding this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0Idml9mSs

it seems amazing that a train could arrive at a Goods Depot, be unloaded/loade/shunted as necessary and depart within 15-20 minutes (as some trains were timetabled to do). Maybe there is someone out there who has experience of the old way of freight working on British Railways in the 50s and 60s, before the big marshalling yards were introduced.

Former Queens Road Goods Depot, later occupied by Arnold Laver Ltd., timber importers. December 199s43118.jpg.e8ea9400ebe47a3bddc157759311c2bc.jpgs43118

s43120.jpg.480b0779fa220d75e479b0dbb5668acf.jpgs43120

s43119.jpg.fadd42974e51fc244ba3741544dac0d2.jpgs43119s43089.jpg.bf3b1c34798f63a9807674c4b6f53105.jpgs43089

s43088.jpg.4b3cf03e3b6e79c68b473011813394f8.jpgs43088

During the school holidays my dad took me to work with him for a couple of days, he worked for a builder, I would ride about with one of the lorry drivers and going to the Queens Road depot I remember very well, the driver and I would find a railway truck full of London brick's and throw them two at a time into the lorry, it would take a couple of trips to unload all the bricks from the railway wagon, one thing I  do clearly remember, the bricks cut my schoolboy hands because of the roughness of the bricks.

Were these premises part of Queens Road Coal Depot? 

T. W. Ward, Coal Offices, (Queens Road?) 23rd September 1936.s07237.jpg.72e3d476510fc50dc97d7f58aace5568.jpgs07237

9 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Were these premises part of Queens Road Coal Depot? 

T. W. Ward, Coal Offices, (Queens Road?) 23rd September 1936.s07237.jpg.72e3d476510fc50dc97d7f58aace5568.jpgs07237

Looks like W. Caudle on the right of the photo, so it could well be Queens Road.

1925 directory

caudle_1925.jpg

Quite probably, 1930's Directory required to confirm as its not listed alongside Wards. 

Those chimney stacks are quite distinctive.