Mount Pleasant ?

dunsbyowl1867

I have a relative on 1841 Census as follows

Andrew, Joseph of Mount Pleasant, Upper Hallam & Dore. Aged 45 years.

(Piece #1334/6, folio 42a, enumeration district 6.)

Is "Mount Pleasant' an area of Sheffield or is it the name of a property?

Guest plain talker

off London Road, in Highfield/ Sharrow there is a property called "Mount Pleasant House" which was owned by the Sitwells (of Renishaw) there were roads named after the family , and after the property. (sitwell road/place, Mount Pleasant road

I believe there was a park called Mount Pleasant Park in existence up till the area was built up in the 1850s 1860s (my house was 1866) then, when they demolished our houses, a school was built, and a park was created again, Sharrow Infant-nursery and Mount Pleasant Park

off London Road, in Highfield/ Sharrow there is a property called "Mount Pleasant House" which was owned by the Sitwells (of Renishaw) there were roads named after the family , and after the property. (sitwell road/place, Mount Pleasant road

I believe there was a park called Mount Pleasant Park in existence up till the area was built up in the 1850s 1860s (my house was 1866) then, when they demolished our houses, a school was built, and a park was created again, Sharrow Infant-nursery and Mount Pleasant Park

Thanks very much plain talker!

There were several properties with that name in Sheffield.

In Upper Hallam it was more likely this one shown in the 1905 map.

Guest plain talker

And amongst the houses on Mount pleasant Road at the top of Crowther Place was my childhood home, (second house up from crowther place.

(on closer inspection of the map, it only shows the washhouse in our yard, not the loos, or the washhouses in the other two yards, or their loos)

HI Dunsbyowl There is also a pub up Derybyshire lane called Mount Pleasant Also a cres; and a road of that name.

There are only three places mentioned in Piece number 1334/6, Folio number 42a.

Mount Pleasant, Bassitt, and Ringinglowe.

Three families at Bassitt. the Buxtons, the Staleys and the Higginbottoms.

Two families at Mount Pleasnt, - the Andrews and the Heages.

On the 1850s map there is a property called Bassett off Fulwood lane. I can't see a Mount Pleasant but there is an un-named property not far from Basset at the junction of Andrew lane and Fulwood lane. Then no further houses until the Ringinlow toll house.

There are only three places mentioned in Piece number 1334/6, Folio number 42a.

Mount Pleasant, Bassitt, and Ringinglowe.

Three families at Bassitt. the Buxtons, the Staleys and the Higginbottoms.

Two families at Mount Pleasnt, - the Andrews and the Heages.

On the 1850s map there is a property called Bassett off Fulwood lane. I can't see a Mount Pleasant but there is an un-named property not far from Basset at the junction of Andrew lane and Fulwood lane. Then no further houses until the Ringinlow toll house.

Photos of Mount Pleasant are in my albums in the Gallery.

Guest plain talker

HI Dunsbyowl There is also a pub up Derybyshire lane called Mount Pleasant Also a cres; and a road of that name.

Is that "Mount View"? My aunt's parents owned a house on Mount View road, in Norton-lees.

Hi Dunsbyowl, (returning to the topic ;-) ) after sleeping on it I made a fresh start on the problem.

First thing I found, - in her book More About Mayfield Valley and Old Fulwood, Muriel Hall has this (page 105)...

At the top of Andwell Lane is Mount Pleasant, known locally as Bog Trap, but it should be Buck Trap. This name originated from the deer hunting which used to take place on this one time deer forest and the deer traps which were used. The house itself was built not much earlier than 1839 and at one time was one of the many public houses.

Then in an old (1980s) street atlas I found this.

Looking at Google maps there is still a house there on the corner of Andwell lane and Fulwood lane, it may even be the original house. Can't explain the Andrew/Andwell lane confusion on the 1850s map, perhaps the name was officially changed.

Photos of Mount Pleasant are in my albums in the Gallery.

500+ photos ! Can you put them in alphabetical order please ? lol

I didn't find them and the search engine doesn't seem to work in the gallery section. But are they pics of the Mount Pleasant on Fulwood lane ?

There were several properties with that name in Sheffield.

In Upper Hallam it was more likely this one shown in the 1905 map.

This place was flattened a good few years ago and has only just been developed into several detached houses.

Hi Dunsbyowl, (returning to the topic ;-) ) after sleeping on it I made a fresh start on the problem.

First thing I found, - in her book More About Mayfield Valley and Old Fulwood, Muriel Hall has this (page 105)...

Then in an old (1980s) street atlas I found this.

Looking at Google maps there is still a house there on the corner of Andwell lane and Fulwood lane, it may even be the original house. Can't explain the Andrew/Andwell lane confusion on the 1850s map, perhaps the name was officially changed.

Hi Gramps

Andwell Lane was originally Andrew lane, named after the family at Greenhouse Farm, but the Council changed it to Andwell Lane in 1903 to avoid confusion with another Andrew Lane elsewhere in the city.

Hi Gramps

Andwell Lane was originally Andrew lane, named after the family at Greenhouse Farm, but the Council changed it to Andwell Lane in 1903 to avoid confusion with another Andrew Lane elsewhere in the city.

Thanks Bayleaf

Going a generation further back my Andrew family - Joseph Andrew senior was a farmer last half of 18th century- any chance this was their farm? He also owned properties in the town. I have a copy of his will, I will have to check for any references.

Thanks Bayleaf

Going a generation further back my Andrew family - Joseph Andrew senior was a farmer last half of 18th century- any chance this was their farm? He also owned properties in the town. I have a copy of his will, I will have to check for any references.

Perhaps this family were quite well off - on another thread ( which some of you kindly posted information) I mentioned my ancestor Samuel Andrew owned the 2 mills at Fullwood. On the Genuki Site I came across this today and his wife Ruth. Assuming she wasn't a Vicar ;-) I find the description "Gentry" a bit of a laugh!

Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades"

for SHEFFIELD in Pigot's Directory of 1829.

Gentry & Clergy,

* Andrews Mrs. Ruth, Broomhall mill

Thanks Bayleaf

The Andrew family was a prominent one in the Porter valley, they owned a number of the farms at various times I believe. They were also, and I believe still are, quarry owners in both the Porter and Rivelin valleys.